Offseason moves starting

Started by longgame, October 12, 2022, 08:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

I think it's good news too.  The last thing I would have wanted to hear was we've got Pham and are done with the OF.  They still need a good OF with a big stick.  It's tough that they have two weak hitting, poor fielding guys for two of three OF positions. 

Sea Dog 23

I thought about this a couple weeks ago.  Bloom signed SS Story as insurance Bogey opted out.  It may be coming to fruition as pieces fall into place.  “He has his new SS, now this on MLB/news,

“According to sources (at the GM meeting) the Red Sox have started reaching out to some teams regarding the availability of their second basemen.”

Maybe Bloom is doing his due diligence, but it looks like he has a plan.  god help us.

MongoLikeSox

Bloom would overwork the due-diligence stage at a brothel and end up with the dead one.

I've read some of those rumors, too. They certainly sound plausible. Some of the Bloom & Company MO showing up again. Something is seriously wrong if we cannot pony up to the bar with the big boys. We might end up losing Betts, Devers and Bogey in a what, 3-4 year stretch? That's inexcusable. Not the Sox fans that spends and shows up.

I still find it stunning we got over the threshold this past season.

elktonnick

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on November 08, 2022, 03:55:29 PM
Bloom would overwork the due-diligence stage at a brothel and end up with the dead one.

I've read some of those rumors, too. They certainly sound plausible. Some of the Bloom & Company MO showing up again. Something is seriously wrong if we cannot pony up to the bar with the big boys. We might end up losing Betts, Devers and Bogey in a what, 3-4 year stretch? That's inexcusable. Not the Sox fans that spends and shows up.

I still find it stunning we got over the threshold this past season.

Anyone who majored in the classics is not someone who will make quick decisions.  I think Bloom can easily become paralyzed by analysis. 

I am still processing the news that Henry wants to sell Liverpool.  Does this mean he is only in a position to authorize big spending after such a sale. 

I just do not think Bloom is the guy to make a big splash on the free agency market.  Given Henry's track record I think he moves away from Bloom if he successfully sells Liverpool for the 3 plus billion that it is probably worth.

elktonnick

Forget the mid term election, the really big
and important news is that Henry has found a buyer for Liverpool.  According to reports coming out of Kuwait  a Qatari group has agreed to buy the team for 4 billion plus.  If true, Henry has no excuse for not spending the money for Bogey et al.

longgame

Bloom is denying he's shopping for a 2B.  He needs to stop responding.  He should be looking at 2B, his starter there that gets $20MM isn't that good and is injury prone, as his primary backup.  If he got the Bogey deal done he wouldn't have to respond to this stuff.  But the press is clearly a distraction to him.  It's funny because you see on social media that there are two distinct camps - those who hate Bloom and those who hate the media.  I hate both!  But I only care about what the Sox do, not what the writers do. 

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on November 09, 2022, 07:37:53 AM
Bloom is denying he's shopping for a 2B.  He needs to stop responding.  He should be looking at 2B, his starter there that gets $20MM isn't that good and is injury prone, as his primary backup.  If he got the Bogey deal done he wouldn't have to respond to this stuff.  But the press is clearly a distraction to him.  It's funny because you see on social media that there are two distinct camps - those who hate Bloom and those who hate the media.  I hate both!  But I only care about what the Sox do, not what the writers do.

The Boston sports media smell blood.   In this case the media reflects what most fans are thinking.  Bloom can not spin or talk his way to success.  He has to produce results. Unless or until he lands quality players he is toast.  Right now no one in Boston neither media nor fans thinks he can get it done.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: elktonnick on November 09, 2022, 07:55:31 AM
Quote from: longgame on November 09, 2022, 07:37:53 AM

The Boston sports media smell blood.   In this case the media reflects what most fans are thinking.  Bloom can not spin or talk his way to success.  He has to produce results. Unless or until he lands quality players he is toast.  Right now no one in Boston neither media nor fans thinks he can get it done.

Whoever in MLB does the power ratings, Sox are 24th this week.  And behind KC !  Not good for Bloom.  And Henry has a timetable. Cherington and DD both were let go after 4 years.  And both had won a world title. This is Bloom’s 4th year, and all he has to show for it is one ALCS entry with three horrible finishes.  He’s on the clock.

longgame

Refsnyder signed, avoids arbitration.  We may think he's a solid depth piece but I hear Bloom asked him "can you play SS?".

Schloicka

Red Sox’s Eric Hosmer to opt in to contract’s remaining 3 years, $39 million. This decision was expected. Hosmer would not have made more money on the open market. The 33-year-old first baseman batted only .265 with a .325 on-base percentage, .410 slugging percentage and .735 OPS in 610 games (2,484 plate appearances) in the first five years of the eight-year, $144-million contract he signed with the Padres before the 2018 season.

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2022/11/red-soxs-eric-hosmer-to-opt-in-to-contracts-remaining-3-years-39-million-report.html?utm_campaign=redsox_sf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR02IYOxmvBXWhyikbLnUtZ064aIEEveBB_DibPz_IE2cL_TwbHSwfYtIR4

longgame

Do the Padres still pay for him though?  If so it's a great deal.  Let's hope we see the old Eric Hosmer either way. 

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on November 09, 2022, 12:20:36 PM
Do the Padres still pay for him though?  If so it's a great deal.  Let's hope we see the old Eric Hosmer either way.
We pay the league minimum portion, IIRC. I don't know the rest of the $$ benefits and all that payroll stuff. Pretty cheap Casas insurance, at least. Hopefully it doesn't cost Casas too many live action development reps. 

Sea Dog 23

So Bloom is doing some house cleaning around what’s left of the roster.  Refsnyder check.  Hosmer opted in as said above, as did Paxton today.  Pax picked up his 1-year $4mil option, after Sox declined their 2-yr $26mil option for him. Effectively Bloom cannot deal with other team’s FA until tomorrow, Thurs.

It will be interesting to see the length of the new deals.  For another reset, it would come after 2024, the end of Sale’s current 2/$51 mil contract.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on November 09, 2022, 02:37:57 PM
So Bloom is doing some house cleaning around what’s left of the roster.  Refsnyder check.  Hosmer opted in as said above, as did Paxton today.  Pax picked up his 1-year $4mil option, after Sox declined their 2-yr $26mil option for him. Effectively Bloom cannot deal with other team’s FA until tomorrow, Thurs.

It will be interesting to see the length of the new deals.  For another reset, it would come after 2024, the end of Sale’s current 2/$51 mil contract.
Paxton opting in for $4M is either a high character move or a no-confidence move. I hope it's the former. Just the way I see it, anyhow.

Sea Dog 23

With Paxson and Sale in tow, whatever their physical condition, Sox are said to be inquiring about FA pitchers Heaney (LAD) and Seth Lugo (Mets).

Halloran of Sox apparently told Garrett Whitlock to prepare for beginning as a starting pitcher. Told Houck he COULD be ST as well.  Leads me to think they will put big money on BP and elite closer.