Offseason moves starting

Started by longgame, October 12, 2022, 08:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

An outfield of Pham, Kike, and Verdugo is mediocre at best and not befitting a team wishing to contend.  IMHO it is among the poorest out fields in recent Ted Sox history.

SeaBeachFred

I don't know if it was the Red Sox who told Verdugo to bulk up because they needed power in the outfield or whether it was Dugo who decided he wanted to be a power hitter.  Either way it was a rotten mistake on whoever orchestrated this.  The guy was bulky, slow afield and pathetic on the bases----and he didn't hit either for power or average.  He needs to slim down and work on his mechanics to become a good gap hitter with average power and hit for average with an emphasis on driving in runs and regain some of his running speed lost in his weight gaining crusade.  Pham was pretty rotten toward the end of the season but Cora seems to like him and apparently Kiki is high in  the team's plans which would be good if we got the 2022 version instead of the bumbler we got this past season.  My friends we have a lot of work to do, and SOMEONE PLEASE TELL BLOOM TO CLIMB OUT OF HIS DUMPSTER AND START SIGNING SOME REAL BALLPLAYERS,  ESPECIALLY SOME DECENT PITCHERS.

longgame

I think Verdugo was the one who wanted to hit more HRs.  We've seen this so many times.  It doesn't work.  You're either a homer hitter or you're not and he's a doubles guy.

Martin Perez was a disaster.  Why spend any money on this guy.  We've seen his act before, one year in Texas doesn't change that.

If the Sox want a top SS they'll have to pay Bogey or overpay Dansby Swanson.  I'd be shocked if they spent more money to get Correa or Turner.

If Pham is the first move Bloom makes in the postseason, he may not survive the end of the month.

Ottavino?  How about getting a closer and then filling in your bullpen.  Seems like young hard throwers is the key, not old veterans with a spotty record.

Why do I think this offseason is going to be a total disaster?

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on November 07, 2022, 07:35:41 AM
I think Verdugo was the one who wanted to hit more HRs.  We've seen this so many times.  It doesn't work.  You're either a homer hitter or you're not and he's a doubles guy.

Martin Perez was a disaster.  Why spend any money on this guy.  We've seen his act before, one year in Texas doesn't change that.

If the Sox want a top SS they'll have to pay Bogey or overpay Dansby Swanson.  I'd be shocked if they spent more money to get Correa or Turner.

If Pham is the first move Bloom makes in the postseason, he may not survive the end of the month.

Ottavino?  How about getting a closer and then filling in your bullpen.  Seems like young hard throwers is the key, not old veterans with a spotty record.

Because Bloom has given no indication he is up to the job.  He thinks Sox fans will accept a team full of Kike Hernandez and the player who can play multiple positions.

Sea Dog 23

For the OF I’ve seen the Sox are looking for a corner OF in the $10-15m range, without a QO attached. The analytics dweebs are looking at ‘value’ in a batter who can show an upside hitting with no shift in ‘23.  Speculation for that situation is Joc Pederson, Gallo, Conforto.  I don’t trust my twitter, but somebody posted this morning the Yanks released Benintendi. If Refsnyder and Cordero (blech) take up a lot of the slack, it means Bloom is history by January and looking for an accounting job somewhere.

elktonnick

Fenway Sports Group announced that it open to selling Liverpool.  Henry realizes that Liverpool faces the same issues as Red Sox when it comes to rebuilding.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: elktonnick on November 07, 2022, 09:04:13 AM
Fenway Sports Group announced that it open to selling Liverpool.  Henry realizes that Liverpool faces the same issues as Red Sox when it comes to rebuilding.

Is that a sellout or looking for minority stakes in ownership?

elktonnick

Either according to the article.  Sounds like Henry may be over extended financially and looking for an infusion of cash.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on November 07, 2022, 07:35:41 AM

Answer to your last question Ted.  Because you have a working brain and know as well as the rest of us that as long as Bloom holds his position it's going to be an unmitigated disaster for our team.....and it doesn't look like Prune Face desires to change horses.  And did you see where Bloom says "we should win; we have the pieces."  Is he out of his gord?

Sea Dog 23

Well Bogey took his opt- out. Per Jon Heyman among those interested are Braves, Dodgers, Twins, Cardinals, Phillies and Giants.  Boras will probably hold out for several months to get the high bid, that’s what he does.  No way Bloom waits this out.  He either gives big money to Correa or TTurner, or he signs another 2B to shuffle  to shuffle between SS and 2B with Story. That would be the Bloom way to do it.  Whatever, the Sox need a flashy signing early, or no decent free agents will play for Chaim’s way of running things.

elktonnick

The Liverpool news makes me believe that the rise in interest rates is hurting John Henry.  If this is true, I doubt Bloom will be making any big Free Agency moves.  I suspect he is going to be hard pressed to give Devers an extension offer he would accept. Worst case scenario is that he trades Devers for a boatload of prospects and multi role players.

longgame

People are joking that Henry is selling Liverpool to get money to pay for Devers and Bogey.  That would be great news if true, but I think he's just cashing out.  On the other hand he has to be happy to see inflation as those millions he has to dole out won't be worth as much now.

The news on Beni being "released" was a bit misleading.  He opted for free agency which is no surprise. Just like Judge, Bogey and every other FA. 

Sea Dog 23

Chris Cotillo MassLive “believes” Sox sign Bogey and extend Devers this off-season.  Other additions are Wacha, Christian Vazquez and a trade or two coming (there is no way they can protect all the good prospects in AA and AAA on the 40 man, so trade some to get a return)  I hope Cotillo has some reason to think this is so.  Just about every other writer in unconvinced Sox know what their doing,

https://masslive.com/redsox/2022/11/red-sox-bold-predictions-xander-bogaerts-re-signs-a-big-trade-is-made-more.html

Sea Dog 23

In OF news Sox decline Pham's option ($6m deal). Maybe sign they dont trade Verdugo.

elktonnick

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on November 07, 2022, 05:19:06 PM
In OF news Sox decline Pham's option ($6m deal). Maybe sign they dont trade Verdugo.
Good news I think