Offseason moves starting

Started by longgame, October 12, 2022, 08:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

Chris Speier relates some of the mood in mgt about our farm system. A couple of pluses, but shedding some deadwood.

“Paul Toboni promoted to VP in charge of amateur scouting and player development.
Devin Pearson promoted to Director of Amateur Scouting.

“Coaching contracts not renewed: Anthony Iapoce (senior hitting coordinator), Lance Carter (AA pitching coach), Nate Spears (A+ hitting coach), Nick Green (A pitching coach). Salem manager declined an invite to return. Ryan Jackson moved from Field Coordinator to a special assistant role in player development.”

Speier floats that Jason Ochart, who spent the last four seasons as Phillies hitting coordinator, could be a candidate to replace Iapoce as the head hitting coordinator.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on October 25, 2022, 05:43:41 PM
Quote from: longgame on October 25, 2022, 04:05:34 PM
All reports are that Bloom is hot on signing Devers and has offered a deal much improved over one discussed during ST.  Will signing Devers make it easier to sign Bogey?

I saw some speculation that it would take 7/$300mil to sweeten the talks with Devers after the weak Spring offer.  Basically $40mil AAV with some added bonuses.  There are several free-agents who will join the new bigger payday for franchise players next year, some have predicted. 

Is Devers worth that? in baseball terms, not really.  But if MGT values keeping one or two ‘face of the franchise’ in place, that may be the price.

"Worth it" went out a long time ago.  Are any of these guys really "worth" $1MM a year to play a child's game?  But this is where the market has brought us.  I wonder where the top is?

longgame

Looks like the Sox have offered Devers around $200MM for 10 years. Devers, who apparently has a far better grasp on the market than the Red Sox, wants 10/$300MM which is what the market would give him.  Bloom better not blow this. 

Sea Dog 23

Brock Holt retired this week. It so happened that Holt was let go six days after Bloom became the baseball ops man. Chaim is responsible for displacing the entire outfield from the 2018 team, including Holt. Holt was a spark plug in the dugout.  He also parted ways with OFs Renfroe and Schwarber who was a winner on the field and off.

Forgive me if I have doubts about Bogey and Devers longevity.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on October 28, 2022, 09:03:26 AM
Looks like the Sox have offered Devers around $200MM for 10 years. Devers, who apparently has a far better grasp on the market than the Red Sox, wants 10/$300MM which is what the market would give him.  Bloom better not blow this.

Five will get you a hundred that Bloom will blow this bigger and higher than the first Atomic Blast at Hiroshima; it's in his miserable understanding and lack of knowing talent along with his totally misreading of the market.  He is not alone in this Ted.  Didn't Lucchino misread the market on Jon Lester back in early 2014 and led to a total undoing of the team as others railed at this and wanted out like Lackey, Gomes and even Napoli.  Two years of last place finishes ensued, and keep in mind we also misread the market on bums like Hanley Ramirez and that other fat bum we signed from the Giants, both miserable flops with us who were eventually released by Dombrowski.  As for John Henry he knows all about commodities in wheat and corn futures but when it comes to understanding a market for baseball flesh he is as bankrupt as they come.  If we lose Devers because of penny pinching the team will deserve every reversal they deserve and we fans will have to suffer for it.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on October 28, 2022, 11:06:03 AM
Brock Holt retired this week. It so happened that Holt was let go six days after Bloom became the baseball ops man. Chaim is responsible for displacing the entire outfield from the 2018 team, including Holt. Holt was a spark plug in the dugout.  He also parted ways with OFs Renfroe and Schwarber who was a winner on the field and off.

Forgive me if I have doubts about Bogey and Devers longevity.

WE ALL HAVE THOSE DOUBTS SEA DOG.  READ WHAT LONGGAME SAID ON ANOTHER POST.  BLOOM SHOWED HIS INEPTNESS NOT ONLY IN RELEASINGD A SPARKPLUG LIKE HOLT BUT REPLACING HIM THE NEXT SEASON WITH A TURD NAMED PERAZA WHO WAS SO SHITTY HE HAD BEEN RELEASED THE LOWLY REDS, THEN BY US AND THEN BY TWO O THER TEAMS IN 2021. BLOOMER BOY HAS LOST ALL CREDIBILITY AND HAS BECOME AS USELESS AS LION WITH NO TEETH.

elktonnick

Reports coming out of the DR suggest that Bloom is screwing up the Devers negotiations.  Reports have it that Devers wants 30m for 10 years and Sox are not going anywhere near those numbers.

MongoLikeSox

This is on Henry as much as Bloom. There's a long low-balling history that predates Bloom, even with some we've somehow kept over the years.

I don't know if Devers is worth what he wants. I'd have liked to see the maturity settle in that keeps the over-swinging off the table.  That said, he just now turned 26. Of those 10 years, 5 of those will be prime year seasons. Even if he take the age 32 dive, that's still 5 prime years and 1-2 reduced years before the big tank. I think we see that tank happen in the form of being sent to DH by then, and he'll spend the last few years hitting .250, 22HR, 80RBI from the 6-hole kind of thing.

It's not my money, so it's easy to say. I nervously say pay him.

Bogey's got the body type that will have him floating around the bases like a freak of nature until he retires. I say pay for him far less nervously.

Sea Dog 23

Another all-star 3B Aranado opted back into his 5yrs/$144mil  contract thru 2027. Somehow he gets a bump to $35 mil AAV next year. Both the Cardinalsand Rockies are paying his deal.

There is speculation Bloom might ask the Braves for a trade for 3B Austin Riley if he can’t sign Devers. 3B for 3B. No confirmation on that one.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on October 29, 2022, 04:53:25 PM
Another all-star 3B Aranado opted back into his 5yrs/$144mil  contract thru 2027. Somehow he gets a bump to $35 mil AAV next year. Both the Cardinalsand Rockies are paying his deal.

There is speculation Bloom might ask the Braves for a trade for 3B Austin Riley if he can’t sign Devers. 3B for 3B. No confirmation on that one.

You think the Braves are dumb enough to trade one of their two or three biggest honchos to the Red Sox?  Earth of all of us, the Braves are not led by brain damaged dunces like Bloom andd Henry.

By the way, did any of you out there read how Dan Dombrowski was called and congratulated by everyone in the Red Sox Board of Executives except one?  Yup, you guessed the one, old Prune Face Henry himself, a man totally lacking in people skills who seems to be quickly running the Red Sox into the ground with his parsimonious ways.  The guy has just about undone all the good he brought to the franchise when he bought it.  The Boston Media and Press could attack this guy with full force and make the filthy bum come out of hiding and face the music.

elktonnick

Dombrowski said recently that he had no idea why he was fired.  At the time the Red Sox released a statement that it was over philosophical differences. It seems to me that common courtesy  is to at least you tell an employee why he was let go.  Apparently the Red Sox never did that in Dombrowski's case.  It isn't surprising that so many of former Red Sox top employees have such a bad feeling about the way their final moments with Boston were handled...Pedro and Ortiz have sent plenty of signals that Bogey and Devers are not too happy with the way the Red Sox are handling their contracts and those of the former teammates. .
Henry's total lack of people skills seem to be imposed on Bloom. 
I hope coming events prove me wrong but I think.the immediate Red Sox future will not be a bright one

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on October 29, 2022, 04:53:25 PM

Atlanta was smart enough to lock in their star 3B in a fairly low AAV contract.  There's no way they'd trade him and if they did, the haul the Sox would have to give up would belie any statements about building a farm system.  The fact is the Sox have one of the best SS's and one of the best 3B's in the game.  Anybody they don't know of similar quality is a) a crap shoot and b) would cost as much or more.   

Mongo, you are 100% correct.  The Sox approach is lowball someone and feel happy they didn't spend too much.  The Yankees and Dodgers work the opposite way - they decide who they want and figure out what it costs to get them.  Baseball players aren't commodities, they have different qualities and shelf lives.

I'd love to see Brock Holt in the booth, but it would be nice if he had a broadcast partner who had a personality.

Sea Dog 23

I was reading an analysis of what psyche Bloom has going into the off-season.  "Identify him as an executive officer of a retail store."  Macy's --- no.  Dollar Store --- more like what we have directing the Sox off-season.
One example of this theory:  Bloom has two big contracts to negotiate.  $300mil /10 for Devers and $200mil/7 for Bogey.  Being the low ball artist he is, he is selecting just one and that is the lower cost, shorter term deal.

So, what to do with 3B?  One option, a trade for Devers -- the Tampa method of sell high while he is of value.  Move Dalbec to 3B, then move Bogey to Third when Mayer is ready for SS in two years.  I'm expecting some really bad results along those line.   iono

The name of the game, you have to think like Bloom to figure out Bloom's crazy transactions.

elktonnick

I know hardly anyone who follows the Red Sox on this board gives two cents about the news affecting Liverpool.of the Premier League.  However, news from across the pond indicates Henry is facing a similar challenge with Liverpool.  Apparently that club is not doing well and needs to look toward a rebuild.   The question arises will Liverpools situation affect Henry's willingness and ability to spend on the Red Sox?

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on October 29, 2022, 06:41:12 PM
Dombrowski said recently that he had no idea why he was fired.  At the time the Red Sox released a statement that it was over philosophical differences. It seems to me that common courtesy  is to at least you tell an employee why he was let go.  Apparently the Red Sox never did that in Dombrowski's case.  It isn't surprising that so many of former Red Sox top employees have such a bad feeling about the way their final moments with Boston were handled...Pedro and Ortiz have sent plenty of signals that Bogey and Devers are not too happy with the way the Red Sox are handling their contracts and those of the former teammates. .
Henry's total lack of people skills seem to be imposed on Bloom. 
I hope coming events prove me wrong but I think.the immediate Red Sox future will not be a bright one

I think I pre-empted you on that one Elk.  Last night I told my wife NOT TO GET ME ANY RED SOX STUFF FOR CHRISTMAS, NOT A CALENDAR, TEE SHIRT, BOOK, SHORTS, JERSEY, NOTHING!!!!!!!!! As you know my friend from our talks I love the Red Sox and like you I live and die with them and get very frustrated with the way their team has been handled since the end of the 2018 season.  That money my wife spends on me for Red Sox gear goes right into the coffers of Prune Face and his merry band of tightwads and until I see some real change in their spending habits and their last of commitment to winning they will not get a dime out of me.  Certainly that also means no trip to Boston to spend 4-5 thousand dollars for a three game series with air fare, hotel fees and food and entertainment which more than likely might be used to prop up Prune Face's soccer team in England which also sucks badly of late.