Offseason moves starting

Started by longgame, October 12, 2022, 08:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

The Jeter Downs experiment has failed.  Remember all the hype?  Part of the Mookie trade.  So we got Verdugo and Wong for Mookie plus cash too.  All to get rid of Price.  Great job Chaim. 

MongoLikeSox

That is one seriously epic fail. I wonder where he'll end up? I'm not feeling comfy that he clears waivers.

elktonnick

IMO one of the reasons Downs failed was they rushed this kid through the minors.   Bloom misjudged just how ready he was.  Downs is yet another systemic failure which sem to have multiplied in the post Dombrowski ers.

MongoLikeSox

They never even tried to drop him down a level to get his confidence going.  What was it, something screwy like 35AB's in AA the year before we got him? 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on December 15, 2022, 05:00:20 PM
That is one seriously epic fail. I wonder where he'll end up? I'm not feeling comfy that he clears waivers.

He won't and rather than release him outright when he goes unclaimed they will put him back in our system al la Franchy and other who we have DFA's and most likely will be brought up to the big club in the s ummer for another shot.  It has to be very embarrassing for the inept front office led by Bloomer Boy to keep missing on trades and prospects  He should have been fired as soon as the winter meeting were over.  Let's keep our finger crossed tightly that someone will claim him or if not we just let the bum go.  He has turned out to be a very sh itty player.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on December 15, 2022, 06:25:06 PM
They never even tried to drop him down a level to get his confidence going.  What was it, something screwy like 35AB's in AA the year before we got him?

Mongo----Downs did not perform well when he was a Reds prospect and when traded to the Dodgers didn't do well in their organization either.  So his failure with us makes it a hat trick.  He never showed anything with three organizations except how to strike out and make errors.  And he never hit nor played well at either of the infield positions he was tried out in.  His hitting with the three clubs was very poor, he never found footing at any  position in the infield and his strikeouts were in the stratosphere.  Maybe some team will claim him and take the time to develop him, but all see here is another Franchy Cordero who also failed with three teams---Padres, Royals and us.  Nothing else to see here so move on.

longgame

Sox DFA’d Hosmer. Surprised they didn’t try to trade him. Gallo to Twins, Beni with a 5 year deal with the Twins.  Sox pick up guy named Wyatt Mills who is 0-1 with a 6.21 for his career.  Another stellar pick up by Bloom.

elktonnick

This looks like another guy who will be DFAd in six months.  Bloom reminds me of the gin rummy player who never gets gin but keeps picking and discarding cards.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: elktonnick on December 16, 2022, 07:53:50 PM
This looks like another guy who will be DFAd in six months.  Bloom reminds me of the gin rummy player who never gets gin but keeps picking and discarding cards.

Bloomer’s legacy, he wrote a manual in Tampa, The Rays Way”.  From his Boston years, he is working on a manuscript , “How I was able to bring a proud franchise to its knees.”

Sea Dog 23

Sox have I think, about $20mil to spend (to be under LT line). Ive seen ideas they spend that on a SP (Eovaldi?) and  corner OF (Mancini, Conforto ??). 

For 2B/ SS they have been mentioned for Jean Segura this week (contract demand around $5mil AAV for multi years) And  have been shopping Verdugo(?) and prospects with Miami for SS Miguel Rojas and a pitcher.  Also with Brewers for Adames.  Those trades arent  showing much progress.  Other clubs probably think Sox are desparate and will now overpay/over-trade for players.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 20, 2022, 07:07:31 AM
Sox have I think, about $20mil to spend (to be under LT line). Ive seen ideas they spend that on a SP (Eovaldi?) and  corner OF (Mancini, Conforto ??). 

For 2B/ SS they have been mentioned for Jean Segura this week (contract demand around $5mil AAV for multi years) And  have been shopping Verdugo(?) and prospects with Miami for SS Miguel Rojas and a pitcher.  Also with Brewers for Adames.  Those trades arent  showing much progress.  Other clubs probably think Sox are desparate and will now overpay/over-trade for players.

If this is true someone quickly kidnap Bloomer Bum and keep him out out of the way. Eovaldi?  Fine.  He belongs with us and has produced when he can stay healthy.  Mancini?  Yes;   he is a RH hitter.  Conforto? NO!!!!!!!  We cannot get overly loaded with LH hitters with so many good southpaws in our division.  Shop Verdugo???? 

elktonnick

The long knives are out for Buddy Bloom.  Unnamed FO underlings are criticizing Blooms decision making process.  They say he is too slow and consults too many people before deciding anything.  I think I and others were saying the same thing over a year ago. 
The problem isn't that he is not only indecisive and too deliberate but when he does make a decision it is usually thee wrong one. 

I know of no Boston sportwriter, analyst or baseball professional supporting this guy with the exception of those on Henry's payroll. 

The questions are how much long can he last ?  Who will be gone from Boston first,  Devers or Bloom ?  How long after Devers signs with another team before Bloom is fired? 

longgame

I haven't heard a single person come out and say what a great job that Bloom is doing other than his pals at the Fenway Propaganda Ministry.  From national to local press to your average Johnny from Burger King we can see what a disaster they've become.  The sad thing is we've been saying the same thing for a while as we watched how these moves translated to a poorer team every time.  So discouraging because you don't recover from this overnight as the organization gets flooded with worthless prospects that Bloom traded away guys for and has limited room to move anymore.

MongoLikeSox

I think the worst things now that the Sox could do are trades involving anyone not on the MLB Roster. His swan song could be to make asinine trades and dismantle the next few years of prospects coming up. Then we'd be left with nothing.

Sea Dog 23

I read a good observation the other day.  Henry appears to some to be readying the Red Sox for another owner, just like he is Liverpool.  Those two sports are suffering from no salary cap.  Henry’s obsession could well be the NHL Penguins, followed by an NBA team or the NFL, if he can purchase the Commanders.  Those three sports have established a salary cap to keep the bidding for players within reason.

To make matters worse the state of Mass. has increased their millionaires tax from 5% to 9%.  Thereby causing a higher bid for players to keep the net salaries equitable.