Offseason moves starting

Started by longgame, October 12, 2022, 08:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Sox yesterday released Almonte and signed a guy named Caleb Hamilton, a minor league catcher from Minnesota. 

Sea Dog 23

Some projections from writers on SS … Dodgers aren’t feeling need to resign Trea Turner,  who the Yankees would love to have. Carlos Correa has opted out, could go to the Dodgers (big money to spend) or to Boston (his bond with Cora) , IF Sox cool on Bogey.  Angels are also an interested party for Correa.

Atlanta is expected to open up the wallet and resign Swanson.

MongoLikeSox

Turner had a career high errors and didn't look so good in that I saw in the playoffs. The Yankees' bridge gap to their #1 prospect has been playing some jittery baseball. Kiner-Falefa, or whatever his name is. The Yanks have been drooling about that kid Volpe ever since they drafted him. I don't know if Volpe makes it out of the gate or if they go with Peraza. I think a typical team goes with one of the kids, but this is the Yankees.

Sea Dog 23

Sounds like the Sox have been talking to Rich Hill this week about returning (as a 43 y.o. in 2023).  Eovaldi and Walcha are more value, but the writers think Sox like the low budget chances with Hill. That’s not gonna excite the fan base at all.

So you have Sale, Pivetta, Hill, Bello and Crawford, probably Paxton. IMO They’ll be trading for a top of rotation pitcher. Unfortunately the asking price will include two of Mayer or Casas, coupled with Duran and a Blaze Jordan level prospect.

longgame

Bogey named a GG finalist along with Carlos Correa and Jeremy Pena of the Astros.

More pressure on Blooming Idiot.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on October 21, 2022, 07:25:20 AM
Sounds like the Sox have been talking to Rich Hill this week about returning (as a 43 y.o. in 2023).  Eovaldi and Walcha are more value, but the writers think Sox like the low budget chances with Hill. That’s not gonna excite the fan base at all.

So you have Sale, Pivetta, Hill, Bello and Crawford, probably Paxton. IMO They’ll be trading for a top of rotation pitcher. Unfortunately the asking price will include two of Mayer or Casas, coupled with Duran and a Blaze Jordan level prospect.

Hill????  Haven't Bloomer Boy and Prune Face learned anything from this year's debacle?  Hill got the shit knocked out of him in almost all the games he pitched, save two or three.  He was always good for giving up four or five runs and his stuff is below average now that he is in his 40's  And Cutter Crawford???????  Already I'm sick at reading shit like this about some of the garbage we are actually b ringing back a bum like that.  Pivetta?  He was  going well into the summer and then forgot how to get out of the first inning but he might come around better next year.  As for Bello, he has the stuff but can he learn how to pi tch and stop walking batters and giving up over a hit an inning.  Not very encouraging from where I sit.

longgame

Hill pitches two good games and everyone loves him then he throws 3 bad ones, go on the IL and comes back.  He's great for a guy his age, but there's a reason guys his age are retired.

elktonnick

If Bloom is smart (a huge presumption to be sure) he will sign Hill for two simple reasons, 1 he can eat innings and 2nd he will be relatively inexpensive.   History has shown that Boston will need between 8 or 9 starters.  Having a Hill around is good insurance in my book.

MongoLikeSox

I had figured on Hill jumping in sometime in June for some bonus-heavy deal for a contender. Maybe even pitch for the US in the World Classic and take a few months off afterwards.

Perhaps Cora will come out with a 5-1/2 man rotation this year and have Hill get 20 starts and 15 relief appearances in some sort of hyrbid role like when baseball had 4-1/2 man rotations.

Someone mentioned Bloom, so I thought I'd take this moment to congratulate Dombrowski on getting into the WS.   

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on October 24, 2022, 03:09:38 PM
I had figured on Hill jumping in sometime in June for some bonus-heavy deal for a contender. Maybe even pitch for the US in the World Classic and take a few months off afterwards.

Perhaps Cora will come out with a 5-1/2 man rotation this year and have Hill get 20 starts and 15 relief appearances in some sort of hyrbid role like when baseball had 4-1/2 man rotations.

Someone mentioned Bloom, so I thought I'd take this moment to congratulate Dombrowski on getting into the WS.

Yes, kudos to Dombrowski.  He’s the only baseball exec to have taken four different clubs to the WS.

longgame

At least half of the Sox's farm club is DD prospects, not Bloom's.  DD knows minor leaguers can't play in the majors, Bloom thinks he's a genius for playing guys who aren't ready. 

elktonnick

One of Henry's biggest mistakes was to run Dombrowski out of town.  All the reporting indicated Henry didn't think Dombrowski was process oriented.  Henry allegedly is a big process guy.  Myself, I would think results are what counts.  Trust the process only if it produces results.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on October 24, 2022, 04:23:06 PM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on October 24, 2022, 03:09:38 PM

Yes, kudos to Dombrowski.  He’s the only baseball exec to have taken four different clubs to the WS.

Kudos to Dombo are certainly in order but five will get you a thousand there will be no such kudos sent from his yacht by John Prune Face Henry.

longgame

All reports are that Bloom is hot on signing Devers and has offered a deal much improved over one discussed during ST.  Will signing Devers make it easier to sign Bogey?

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on October 25, 2022, 04:05:34 PM
All reports are that Bloom is hot on signing Devers and has offered a deal much improved over one discussed during ST.  Will signing Devers make it easier to sign Bogey?

I saw some speculation that it would take 7/$300mil to sweeten the talks with Devers after the weak Spring offer.  Basically $40mil AAV with some added bonuses.  There are several free-agents who will join the new bigger payday for franchise players next year, some have predicted. 

Is Devers worth that? in baseball terms, not really.  But if MGT values keeping one or two ‘face of the franchise’ in place, that may be the price.