Main Menu

It's Finally Over!

Started by MongoLikeSox, October 06, 2022, 08:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

I'm all for re-signing Bogey ... for the fans who cherish tradition and a familiar face of the franchise.  But I'll say the chances are maybe 50/50.  There is always a crazy owner, like Cohen of the Mets in other deals, who will put a big pile money on the table to steal a deal. 

longgame

With the stench of dismantling of the 2018 team still lingering, destroying the core of this team is something they can't afford. 

elktonnick

Given the sentiment in Boston and among Red Sox legends Ortiz, Pedro et al, Werner and Henry must realize they are on shaky ground.  If they don't re-sign Bogey and dramatically improve the ball club they run the risk of a precipitous drop in fan support.  NESN baseball ratings will be in bass fishing territory.

The Red Sox are at the crossroads.  I just do not think Bloom is the guy to choose the right path.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: elktonnick on October 12, 2022, 04:33:55 PM
Given the sentiment in Boston and among Red Sox legends Ortiz, Pedro et al, Werner and Henry must realize they are on shaky ground.  If they don't re-sign Bogey and dramatically improve the ball club they run the risk of a precipitous drop in fan support.  NESN baseball ratings will be in bass fishing territory.

The Red Sox are at the crossroads.  I just do not think Bloom is the guy to choose the right path.

The Sox MGT. Is really in a pickle next several months.  Extending (or not) Bogey and Devers is not only a big deal for the Boston fan base.  Key free agents are weighing the pluses and minuses for particular teams. Most all FAs are highly competitive and want to be on playoff teams.

An article out today guessing the best and worst deals for FAs lists Edwin Diaz - Mets reliever - as an example  would not favor Boston IF they are giving up their core players — Xander and Raffy.

longgame

They clearly have to spend some money on free agents.  If they go low balling and get the expected results from that, people will be up in arms.  If they dump Bogey, and with him Devers, and sign an expensive free agent to replace either one, people will be up in arms.  Bloom has a relatively easy job if he can spend money and wants to build a winner.  I'm just not convinced they are committed to winning anymore. 

elktonnick

Henry has been Mia.  He is obviously afraid to show his face.  If he is not committed to winning then it will adversely affect the value of not only the Red Sox but NESNs well.  We do not speak or think about it but Eckersley's leaving was a big blow to NESN.  O'brien can not carry the broadcast without an entertaining partner.  He is too boring and turgid on his own.  Without an interesting ans entertaining ball club NESN might as well broadcast fishing throughout baseball season.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on October 13, 2022, 09:39:39 AM
Henry has been Mia.  He is obviously afraid to show his face.  If he is not committed to winning then it will adversely affect the value of not only the Red Sox but NESNs well.  We do not speak or think about it but Eckersley's leaving was a big blow to NESN.  O'brien can not carry the broadcast without an entertaining partner.  He is too boring and turgid on his own.  Without an interesting ans entertaining ball club NESN might as well broadcast fishing throughout baseball season.

We've had two of the best color commentators I've ever had the pleasure of listening too, especially when I compare them to other guys from around the league today.  I think Youk is pretty good but he's not nearly as dynamic (more like Jerry in his early days), plus I don't think he's dedicated to doing this like Jerry was.  Millar did a good job but he likes his MLB gig I'm sure and it probably pays better for less time and trouble.  Eck also talked a lot about how much work it is keeping up with opposing players, etc. and he's a baseball nut.  I really haven't heard of anyone who loves O'Brien. 

longgame

Interesting thing about Bogaerts is he's leaving a 3 year, $60 MM option behind so there's a good starting point.  He's going to need at least 6 years and $180MM I'd say as he'll expect to be at least close to Seagar, Lindor and Correa who are all well above $30MM annually and Bogey posted a better WAR than Seagar or Correa. That takes him to 37 which is probably long past his utility at SS.  Seagar signed a 10 year deal to take him to 37 for $32.5MM base AAV.

Name                  WAR
Francisco Lindor           6.8
Dansby Swanson   6.3
Trea Turner           6.3
Xander Bogaerts   6.1
Tommy Edman           5.6
Willy Adames           4.7
Corey Seager           4.5
Bo Bichette          4.5
Carlos Correa          4.4
Nico Hoerner          4

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on October 12, 2022, 04:33:55 PM

Most certainly Bloom is not Elk but I can't help believing that he is exactly what John Henry wants since the cheap bastard of an owner seems determined to keep this dumpster diving dipwad in command of our Baseball Ops operation.  We ARE at a crossroads and five last place finishes in 11 seasons is sending the wrong message to the diehard Red Sox fans.  Perhaps Pruney is counting on the pink hats and the curiosity seekers to flood the ballpark during the late spring and summer months, and enough naive dodos will buy Red Sox gear to keep the dollars coming in.  If that is his plan he better retool because TV rating will go down, the real fans will be up in arms and he may have a full scale uprising from the sports staff at his Boston Globe.  I j ust hope sanity prevails and he realizes a rotten Red Sox team is bad for baseball, bad for Boston, bad for the fans and very very bad for him.

longgame

Here's your typical Bloom pickup:

Red Sox claimed RHP Jake Reed off waivers from the Orioles.

Reed was designated for assignment by the Orioles, and the Red Sox will take a chance with a 40-man roster spot after designating Eduard Bazardo for assignment. The right-hander was awful in 16 2/3 innings and a 7.36 ERA while spending time with the Dodgers, Mets and Baltimore.

But he's replacing...

Red Sox designated RHP Eduard Bazardo for assignment.

Bazardo is removed from the 40-man roster to make room for the recently claimed Jake Reed. The 27-year-old held his own in the majors with a 2.76 ERA over 12 appearances with a 0.98 WHIP, and there's a good chance someone could claim him off waivers.

elktonnick

The above is yet another example of Bloom making moves just to make moves.  He seems to be running in circles. 

Pedro's comments should be a jolt to Henry and Bloom.  It is all about retaining Bogaerts and Devers. All other moves are distractions.

Sea Dog 23

Peter Abreham says that Bloom will be looking at possibly signing some New York area free agents.  OF Brandon Nimmo, Matt Carpenter, for utility in INF and OF, Jameson Taillon and Chris Bassett for SP.  Also Kluber from Rays and Syndagaard (Angels). He says they will pass on Judge, deGrom and Benintendi

https://nj.com/yankees/2022/10/red-sox-have-yankees-mets-stars-on-free-agency-radar-mlb-insider-says.html

elktonnick

Unless they retain Bogaerts and secure Devers long-term no one will care.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on October 12, 2022, 08:52:37 AM
Article about how everyone save Bloom and Henry seem adamant about signing Bogey.

https://bosoxinjection.com/2022/10/11/red-sox-legends-pedro-martinez-david-ortiz-warning-xander-bogaerts-negotiations/

There is some good news around our house the past day.  My wife Linda, a rabid Padres fan, was out of this universe when they sent the Dodgers back home with another big regular season record and a dud post season which seems to be a regular feature for them.  Linda wanted me to wear her Padres tee shirt for good luck but I refused since my luck with my team was off the charts into the ditch this season.  Still she insisted and I wore them four times and her team won all four games.  The only time I didn't wear the shirt was the first game of the NLDS and her team lost.  She was mad at me so I wore it and it worked.  She loves the Padres and I despise the Dodgers so it was a good move on my part.  Now when is Bloomer Boy going to start going after quality players, when is Henry going to stop being a total cheap bastard and put up the cash for those quality players and when will the team realize that that FRC should manage the Red Sox next season?

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on October 17, 2022, 12:13:33 PM
Quote from: longgame on October 12, 2022, 08:52:37 AM
Article about how everyone save Bloom and Henry seem adamant about signing Bogey.

https://bosoxinjection.com/2022/10/11/red-sox-legends-pedro-martinez-david-ortiz-warning-xander-bogaerts-negotiations/

There is some good news around our house the past day.  My wife Linda, a rabid Padres fan, was out of this universe when they sent the Dodgers back home with another big regular season record and a dud post season which seems to be a regular feature for them.  Linda wanted me to wear her Padres tee shirt for good luck but I refused since my luck with my team was off the charts into the ditch this season.  Still she insisted and I wore them four times and her team won all four games.  The only time I didn't wear the shirt was the first game of the NLDS and her team lost.  She was mad at me so I wore it and it worked.  She loves the Padres and I despise the Dodgers so it was a good move on my part.  Now when is Bloomer Boy going to start going after quality players, when is Henry going to stop being a total cheap bastard and put up the cash for those quality players and when will the team realize that that FRC should manage the Red Sox next season?

I expect you and Linda to wear Red Sox shirts all next season!  ;D

Hoping for Padres-Guardians!