6. Travis d'Arnaud (R) C
7. Adam Duvall (R) CF
8. Travis Demeritte (R) LF
9. Dansby Swanson (R) SS

Gametime Temp: 92°F
Chance of Precip: 0%

markj

longgame

It was pretty cool this morning here in Charlotte!  I've actually had the heat on the last few days after having the AC one the prior two weeks.  But should be fine tonight.\

Funny how things like cold weather or softer baseballs only seem to affect the Red Sox, but not their opponents.   ::)

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on May 09, 2022, 10:48:10 PM
No cold weather excuses for this game.

No Markj but we have a ready built in excuse---our disgusting and miserable bullpen with Robles and Barnes leading the way.  Even if our guys get into a hitting mood and Whit pitches well into the sixth or maybe even the seventh, which Cora never allows, we have those losers in the pen to stand up and take another game away from us.  Would be nice if we can stop this derailment tonight.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on May 10, 2022, 07:45:14 AM
It was pretty cool this morning here in Charlotte!  I've actually had the heat on the last few days after having the AC one the prior two weeks.  But should be fine tonight.\

Funny how things like cold weather or softer baseballs only seem to affect the Red Sox, but not their opponents.   ::)

I take it Ted that you played the game for a number of years in your salad days and I'll also wager that you ran into players and teams that always seemed to have reasons or excuses for their shortcomings and failures-----and I'll also bet that you noticed those teams were losers.  Some things never change and that's one of them.  Jog your memory back to the years 2004, 2007, 2013 and 2018; notice those teams never  rationalized or made excuses or wailed that the gods were conspiring against them.  Winning teams never have to do that because VICTORY speaks for itself.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on May 10, 2022, 12:16:08 PM

I take it Ted that you played the game for a number of years in your salad days and I'll also wager that you ran into players and teams that always seemed to have reasons or excuses for their shortcomings and failures-----and I'll also bet that you noticed those teams were losers.  Some things never change and that's one of them.  Jog your memory back to the years 2004, 2007, 2013 and 2018; notice those teams never  rationalized or made excuses or wailed that the gods were conspiring against them.  Winning teams never have to do that because VICTORY speaks for itself.

Over the years, in sports or business, two things reign true - you need the right people in the right roles and everyone needs to give maximum effort all the time.  It's not rocket science.  It will gall me forever that this team's clear needs were never even addressed since last summer and when you have so many people who don't know or fit into their role, all the effort doesn't matter.  The management corollary to that is, if you set your team up for failure, you won't get the best out of them individually either.

It seems to me that Bloom is one of these types that thinks he's smarter than everyone else.  Theo did too, but he built a winning team when nobody thought it could be done.  Of course Henry chased him out of town...

longgame

Tonight's game is on TBS and old friend Don Orsillo is calling the game and Hazel Mae will be the sideline reporter.  What an upgrade! 

BTW, just breaking 70 here in Charlotte. I don't think it's 92 in Atlanta.

Sea Dog 23

Its was a real windy day this AM in the Carolinas.  Winds out of the North.  I don't know how Truist field is configured, whether north wind favors balls leaving the park or knocking them down.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on May 10, 2022, 02:16:33 PM
Its was a real windy day this AM in the Carolinas.  Winds out of the North.  I don't know how Truist field is configured, whether north wind favors balls leaving the park or knocking them down.

Wind died down here this afternoon.  The batters face SSE, in the old ball park, they faced NE.   
QuoteBatters faced the traditional northeast direction when they played downtown at Turner Field, but now they look to the south-southeast when they hit. This is similar to the ballpark orientations in Detroit and Cincinnati.

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on May 10, 2022, 12:43:20 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on May 10, 2022, 12:16:08 PM

Over the years, in sports or business, two things reign true - you need the right people in the right roles and everyone needs to give maximum effort all the time.  It's not rocket science.  It will gall me forever that this team's clear needs were never even addressed since last summer and when you have so many people who don't know or fit into their role, all the effort doesn't matter.  The management corollary to that is, if you set your team up for failure, you won't get the best out of them individually either.

It seems to me that Bloom is one of these types that thinks he's smarter than everyone else.  Theo did too, but he built a winning team when nobody thought it could be done.  Of course Henry chased him out of town...

I think you hit the nail on the head.  Bloom thinks he is so smart that he does not need to respect  what has been traditional baseball thinking and strategy especially whe it comes to established  roles for players.  Everyone to him should be able willing and able to play anywhere.

longgame

Quote from: longgame on May 10, 2022, 12:45:52 PM
Tonight's game is on TBS and old friend Don Orsillo is calling the game and Hazel Mae will be the sideline reporter.  What an upgrade! 

BTW, just breaking 70 here in Charlotte. I don't think it's 92 in Atlanta.

Apparently although it’s a “national” game, we’re forced to watch the Braves broadcast, not the national one here.

longgame

Wow, Raffy with a grand slam.  5 through 9 hitters got on base and Kike hit a DP ball but the 3B went home instead leaving the bases loaded for Devers.  6-0 Sox and all I can think of is how are they going to blow it.  Whitlock not looking great so the bullpen should have lots of chances.

markj

Whoa, go out for a walk when it's 0-0 and come back to 6-0. Whit looking like he's struggling. 65 pitches and no outs in the 3rd? Now 6-1 on a sac fly. 

markj

Apparently being spotted a 6 run lead is not enough for the Sox pitchers.

markj

WTF is wrong with Cora? He gets a pitcher doing well in the 4th or 5th inning and yanks them just because. But he sees Whitlock has obviously lost the edge here and he's leaving him in? I know the BP sucks, but Whit isn't much of an improvement.