GAME #29 - SUNDAY, MAY 8, 2022 - CHICAGO WHITE SOX @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, May 07, 2022, 11:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on May 09, 2022, 07:30:51 AM
Got in the car and something happened to the ump, I think he took a pitch to the head or something.  The Sox announcers said "well this will be some time".  I'm wondering how many other people signed off right at that point too!  Glad I didn't hear the rest, was blissfully enjoying the woods for a short hike.

The bottom line here is the Sox need some changes and they need them now.  There's also very little they can do now that won't cost them a lot.  I think our hope for this season has to be that Bloom doesn't further destroy the team by making desperate move.  But someone has to ask the question how a team that makes the post season one year once again heads into the toilet the next. There's something fundamentally wrong here.

Ted, to your last point, the boy wonder Bloom cast off key parts of that 21 team ... Schwarber, Renfroe, Ottovino,  ERod, Iglesias , and did little to replace them outside of virtually downgrades at all those positions .  Those aren't great players, but some were leaders and playmakers on that team.

In hindsight maybe his intent was at the start to blow up the 22 team for the 2023 year and clear salary.  But one needs to ask if they want this guy making more moves with an extra $70m-$90m in hand and the future for 5-8 years in expenditures down he road.

elktonnick

I think more and more of Boston sportswriters are coming to the point of view which a number of us here share that it is time for a major shakeup to the lineup.  At a minimum, Dalbec must be sent down and JBJ to a bench role if not a trade assuming somebody would want him. Some way has to found to get Duran and  Casas into the lineup.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on May 09, 2022, 08:15:05 AM
Quote from: longgame on May 09, 2022, 07:30:51 AM
Got in the car and something happened to the ump, I think he took a pitch to the head or something.  The Sox announcers said "well this will be some time".  I'm wondering how many other people signed off right at that point too!  Glad I didn't hear the rest, was blissfully enjoying the woods for a short hike.

The bottom line here is the Sox need some changes and they need them now.  There's also very little they can do now that won't cost them a lot.  I think our hope for this season has to be that Bloom doesn't further destroy the team by making desperate move.  But someone has to ask the question how a team that makes the post season one year once again heads into the toilet the next. There's something fundamentally wrong here.

Ted, to your last point, the boy wonder Bloom cast off key parts of that 21 team ... Schwarber, Renfroe, Ottovino,  ERod, Iglesias , and did little to replace them outside of virtually downgrades at all those positions .  Those aren't great players, but some were leaders and playmakers on that team.

In hindsight maybe his intent was at the start to blow up the 22 team for the 2023 year and clear salary.  But one needs to ask if they want this guy making more moves with an extra $70m-$90m in hand and the future for 5-8 years in expenditures down he road.

I think Devers, Bogey and JDM are gone at the trade deadline.  Bloom thinks we root for laundry like they do in Tampa Bay.  The other thing TB does is host large numbers of fans of opposing teams because fans have no connection with a team like that.  At the same time, the Rays throw their young stars right into the game, while the Sox let the bad ones plays and yank the up and comers around. 

What a disaster all around and to be 10 games out in early May is pathetic. 

elktonnick

longgame

I stated on Twitter that the way to build a bullpen is from the back, i.e. get a closer and set up guy and then stockpile arms.  Some guy responded:  "Yah bloom knows way more about building a pen than you Ted"  My response, clearly not - as well as a couple of other people.  I'm actually amazed at how incompetent this guy is.  Extend Barnes and Sale, but let Bogey go packing, and Devers.

elktonnick

It seems that Bloom is pitching obsessed.  Tampa Bay emphasizes pitching over all other things in their farm system.  My conclusion based on Blooms performance in Boston is that he does not hold position players in that high of esteem.  Hence he overvalues a Barnes and under values a Renfroe for example.