GAME #23 - SUNDAY, MAY 1, 2022 - BOSTON RED SOX @ BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Started by markj, May 01, 2022, 09:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

One writer said he thought the team might have given up, their knowing most of the key players are in their last year in Boston. I find that sort of hard to comprehend as they would want to be stand outs in their last contract year.

longgame

Is it wrong that I was rooting for the O's to hit a grand slam?  I think they need to get even worse to get Bloom and Henry's attention. 

I was thinking about this OF compared to the 2018 OF.  Benitendi, Betts, Bradley - all good fielders, 2 could hit, JBJ could at least play the part of a hitter on TV at times.  Now it's not very good at all.  Verdugo is a cut below Beni, but the best of the bunch.  Kike is 2018 JBJ without the fielding, he gets hot and then disappears for a while.  JBJ is a shell of his former self and should not be in a MLB lineup.  In the infield the main differences are they had a cast of Nunes, Brock Holt and Ian Kinsler.  1B was Moreland who as no slouch and Pearce who of course had that great postseason.  Today's IF has the Story experiment at 2B and no legitimate MLB capable 1B at all after an entire season and offseason of the same. 

Blow these guys up and start over but they need a real GM and an owner who doesn't cry poverty from his $25MM mansion.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on May 01, 2022, 02:22:34 PM
One writer said he thought the team might have given up, their knowing most of the key players are in their last year in Boston. I find that sort of hard to comprehend as they would want to be stand outs in their last contract year.

Bogey and JD are doing fine, knowing they won't be around after this and looking forward to making big bucks somewhere else.  Devers has another year to go and nobody else on that team is looking at a big contract next year as they all truly are not very good.

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on May 01, 2022, 02:25:02 PM
Is it wrong that I was rooting for the O's to hit a grand slam?  I think they need to get even worse to get Bloom and Henry's attention. 

I was thinking about this OF compared to the 2018 OF.  Benitendi, Betts, Bradley - all good fielders, 2 could hit, JBJ could at least play the part of a hitter on TV at times.  Now it's not very good at all.  Verdugo is a cut below Beni, but the best of the bunch.  Kike is 2018 JBJ without the fielding, he gets hot and then disappears for a while.  JBJ is a shell of his former self and should not be in a MLB lineup.  In the infield the main differences are they had a cast of Nunes, Brock Holt and Ian Kinsler.  1B was Moreland who as no slouch and Pearce who of course had that great postseason.  Today's IF has the Story experiment at 2B and no legitimate MLB capable 1B at all after an entire season and offseason of the same. 

Blow these guys up and start over but they need a real GM and an owner who doesn't cry poverty from his $25MM mansion.

In addition to all of the above the team has no clubhouse leader.  Bogaerts was never comfortable in that role and I think the teams low ball offer has really made it obvious that ownership does not value him as much as they claim.
Regarding Bloom, I now wonder who was the real brains in Tampa while he was there

markj

This one just got worse after the rain. Sox will never come back in this game. I'm beginning to think they're the worst team in baseball.

elktonnick

Quote from: markj on May 01, 2022, 04:24:39 PM
This one just got worse after the rain. Sox will never come back in this game. I'm beginning to think they're the worst team in baseball.

This team has no heart. It is listless, lifeless and totally demoralized.

markj

8 hits, 9 LOBsters, 1 stinkin' run. How is that possible?

markj

Plawecki pitching. Shows how pathetic this team has become. Time to turn off the TV and go do something else.

elktonnick

Plawecki was better than half the guys they have in the pen.

markj

markj

So JDM keeps it from being too lopsided, but it's still a sorry sight. 

Sea Dog 23

I dont see how the Sox recover in awhile, with a hot Angels team coming to town.  iits not going to be pretty.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on May 01, 2022, 12:55:14 PM
Bases loaded, two outs, and JBJ at the plate. Don't need to wonder how that turned out. This team has an aversion to scoring runs.

And why was Verdugo, one of our few decent hitters, out of the lineup and the worst hitter in baseball in it.  Another Ofer for that crud and now what is he hitting, 149?  Good God, why the hell is he still in the lineup and still on the team.  Prediction"  We will not make any headway even in a slight direction until he is DFA'd or released.  Between Cora's favoritism of Valdez (another shitty effort today) and the apparent love of Bradley from the front office, it is any wonder this team stinks to high heaven.  BTW, anyone notice how well Andrew Benintendi is doing for the Royals.  I do remember telling my friends here and on the other board I post on that we would regret not keeping him, a very good hitter who just was having a bad streak because of physical ailments.  Who would you rather have now, Andrew or that bum in his second miserable go-round with us?????

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on May 01, 2022, 05:07:51 PM
Plawecki pitching. Shows how pathetic this team has become. Time to turn off the TV and go do something else.

I have markj.  I haven't watched them since the Yankee win a couple of Sundays ago.  As a man who coached baseball teams for over 30 years I know good teams when I see them.  I also know cruddy teams when I see them too.  This Red Sox ensemble is as bad as they come and as predicted by me a  week ago they will finish in last place for the fifth time in a decade.  Henry doesn't give a shit anymore and spends his money on estates instead of pi tchers.  One thing I have noticed from my vantage point.  In the NBA I had to endure the Lakers this past season, also the Ducks and before that the Chargers.  Know what  they had in common with the putrid trash you guys are watching today?  Like the Red Sox they cannot win more than one game in a row.  Look it up.  By  the last third of the season none of the three o ther clubs in their respective sport seemed to be able to string just two shitty wins together in a row.  Save your money guys and DO NOT GO TO ANY GAMES OR BUY ANY RED SOX GEAR whatsoever.  If those in charge don't give a shit why should  we.  I know better though.....we all care and it is killing me to see my beloved team look like a pack of clowns.  Now they need to finally understand one thing.  Bradley needs to go...tonight, tomorrow, no later than Tuesday.  DFA'd, he won't be claimed by anyone because he is that shitty so Prune Face will send him down to the minors and hope he can bring him back up soon to ram his worthless ass down our throats again.

longgame

Once again 5 hits from Bogey, Devers and JDM, not much from the rest.  Jaylin Davis had 2 hits to bring his ML total up by 20% so that’s not going to last.