Sox set to 'plan accordingly' without multiple unvaccinated players in TOR

Started by longgame, April 18, 2022, 08:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

You've got to be kidding me - https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33758357/alex-cora-boston-red-sox-set-plan-accordingly-multiple-unvaccinated-players-toronto

Houck will miss a start because he thinks that the vax is a personal decision - it is unless your work requires you to be with your teammates every day in locker rooms, planes, buses, etc.  I guess missing 5 or 6 guys at a time last season was lost on these guys.  Not sure who the other guys are, the article says "multiple" but only mentions Houck.   

Sea Dog 23

Yep, here we go again, several folks on the bench wearing masks in Sunday's game, and

John Lee on Twitter
Red Sox catcher Kevin Plawecki - who is vaccinated - and two team staff members tested positive for COVID
10:04 AM · Apr 18, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

As Ted posted Houck is out next week in Toronto as well as a couple other Sox, because of protocols in Canada.

SeaBeachFred

And the Red Sox answered that challenge by looking like shit warmed over today.  Did you see Cora playing with his beard and picking at his ass while that turd Cutter Crawford (who BTW has not pitched one time decently since we got him last summer) walked the ballpark and then looked up to the sky with his eyes closed in a total "give up" situation.  BTW, I kept shouting He's Shitty about two dozen times but Cora was too busy playing with that ugly beard of his.  When he sent for Sawamura I turned the  TV off.  We all know this was Patriots Day in Boston, their big municipal Holliday and what do the RedSox do.....They stink up the place just before two  tough series comes to the fore with Toronto and Tampa Bay while Cora still scratches his ass to convince himself that Sawamura, Crawford and Brasier can effectively pitch.  I love the Red Sox but you have to admit my friends that they have this unique ability to make themselves look disgusting on the ballfield at the most important times.

Sea Dog 23

With Plawecki out for a week or so Sox called up two more AAA catchers.  Connor Wong and Ronaldo Hernandez.

MongoLikeSox

So far, the only actual official moves are Arauz and Vasquez to the covid-19 List and Refsnyder and Danish to to the 'Sox. That won't be all, though. As Sea Dog mentioned, I suspect Hernandez will be called up because they would not want to go into a game with just wong as their catching core.

We still don't know how they are going to handle Houck's little 3 day vacation (could be a 3-day no-pay, no accrued time thing, or they could just push him back a few days as if he had the flue or something.

And then we don't know the other Sox players that cannot play this series and how they will be replaced. It is worth noting, though, that the Vasquez, Plawecki and Arauz trio were all vaxed, so they don't have to wait out any sort of 10 day minimum kind of thing.They can come back after passing the number of required screenings part of the protocol.

Sea Dog 23

Cotillo added that Rich Hill is out on the bereavement list.  That might explain the Danish call up.

MongoLikeSox

Well, there's some egg on my face. I thought this coming series was in Toronto, not Boston. doh! Please disregard some of above.  rofl

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on April 19, 2022, 07:03:23 PM
Well, there's some egg on my face. I thought this coming series was in Toronto, not Boston. doh! Please disregard some of above.  rofl

Well I made a blunder on the board a couple of days ago and right now I can't remember what it was.  Good for me on that because all I remember was that I was embarrassed by it.  I'' tell you this Mongo, playing in Boston or on the road we are really going to be tested in these nine games we're playing against Toronto (6) and  Tampa Bay (3).  We made it through the first one and got some decent pitching but only three hits.  Made them count though.  I really like winning those 2-1 and 3-2 games when I am biting my nails to the nub, but we really need to hit better more often since I'm still worried about our pitching.  And these pandemic surprises really gives us a bad dose of being shorthanded.  A good run in these games would go a long way to help us see us coming out of the tunnel into the sunshine light of day.  Can we do it, though?  If the team pulls together I think we can.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on April 19, 2022, 10:41:27 PM

Well I made a blunder on the board a couple of days ago and right now I can't remember what it was.  Good for me on that because all I remember was that I was embarrassed by it.  I'' tell you this Mongo, playing in Boston or on the road we are really going to be tested in these nine games we're playing against Toronto (6) and  Tampa Bay (3).  We made it through the first one and got some decent pitching but only three hits.  Made them count though.  I really like winning those 2-1 and 3-2 games when I am biting my nails to the nub, but we really need to hit better more often since I'm still worried about our pitching.  And these pandemic surprises really gives us a bad dose of being shorthanded.  A good run in these games would go a long way to help us see us coming out of the tunnel into the sunshine light of day.  Can we do it, though?  If the team pulls together I think we can.
The way I've seen it so far is that they've known they needed to improve on certain areas of play and they have been trying to do so. Situational hitting is not always going to succeed, either, but they are at least trying. That is how they won last night. Their dugout showed it all after the go ahead run that Wong sac fly following the JBJ moving the runner over. They were doing a lot of back patting. Homers will come.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on April 20, 2022, 06:47:52 AM

The way I've seen it so far is that they've known they needed to improve on certain areas of play and they have been trying to do so. Situational hitting is not always going to succeed, either, but they are at least trying. That is how they won last night. Their dugout showed it all after the go ahead run that Wong sac fly following the JBJ moving the runner over. They were doing a lot of back patting. Homers will come.

Seems like they're doing a little better with moving guys up, etc. whether through sac flies or a ball to the right side of the infield.  I'd like to see the pop come out but the cold weather usually keeps balls in the park, plus it sounded like a few days they've had a good wind coming in that was knocking down long balls. Of course that cuts both ways and the Sox starting pitching seems to be shaky.  Bullpen has put up some good numbers but let's see how they do in August after throwing a season's worth of pitches.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on April 20, 2022, 08:19:05 AM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on April 20, 2022, 06:47:52 AM

Seems like they're doing a little better with moving guys up, etc. whether through sac flies or a ball to the right side of the infield.  I'd like to see the pop come out but the cold weather usually keeps balls in the park, plus it sounded like a few days they've had a good wind coming in that was knocking down long balls. Of course that cuts both ways and the Sox starting pitching seems to be shaky.  Bullpen has put up some good numbers but let's see how they do in August after throwing a season's worth of pitches.

I made a note to myself, we used our top performing relievers Tuesday night.   sigh
I saw some good thinking this week,  when and if Sale and Paxton return in prime operating order, we would have the luxury of placing Houck in the pen with Whitlock and Rich Hill, and have the makings of an elite bullpen.

longgame

Interesting question if it's easier for an "old" guy like Hill to work a 5 day rotation or get up more often in the pen.  My guess is he'd be a long relief/spot starter which would mean they would only have to turn him on about every 3 days if he went to the pen.  The only problem with Houck in the pen is he seems to take an inning or two to find the plate. 

But I hear you on Stram, Whitlock and Robles being the heart of this pen right now.  The good news is that Barnes may be helpful one day too.  I think a lot of us are on the same page about Brasier's numbers vs what we see when he pitches and then there's not much right now.  The lack of a real closer concerns me.

Sea Dog 23

The hits keep on coming, Cora tests positive and will mss the Rays series.

MongoLikeSox

I wonder how long he'll have to be free and clear of Covid to get into Canada.

longgame

Interestingly the team will drive over the border on their return trip to avoid having someone quarantined.  Apparently a lot of teams do this (including the Jays) because " Travelers entering the U.S. through land-based ports of entry do not need proof of a negative COVID-19 test. However, they must be fully vaccinated in order to travel both ways across the Canada-US border."