5. Joey Gallo (L) LF
6. Gleyber Torres (R) 2B
7. Aaron Hicks (S) CF
8. Isiah Kiner-Falefa (R) SS
9. Jose Trevino (R) C

Gametime Temp: 47°F
Chance of Precip: 2%

markj

ESPN Sunday Night Game. Never a good thing for the Sox. Especially with an early evening game tomorrow in Detroit.

MongoLikeSox

And with David Cone as part of that crew. no thanks. Skipping.

Sea Dog 23

Cora said this afternoon that Story has been scratched.  He has come down with "flu like symptoms" and will sit out.  His travel to Detroit tonight is questionable.  Cora said he has been tested, and he's negative for COVID.

markj

markj

JD was safe on a DP call and Cora did nothing. Do they not have instant replay there?

markj

markj

Diekman with the save. Sox pull out a close one to avoid the sweep.

elktonnick

Diekman showed a lot of heart.  Arroyo in right field was quite a gamble.  Hope we do not see that again.  The ESPN broadcast actually did not stink as much as before.  But they can do without that putting a Mic on a player stuff. 

MongoLikeSox

I saw the last 1-1/2 innings and about an inning or so total before and after Cora took Houck out. I agree, the ESPN group was not as bad as the past few years. Still one-sided, but less so. The did take the time to show Cone in a Red Sox uniform. That was nice, albeit a thinly shrouded bit of appeasement. I guess these two start back up in July for 16 more in the last 3 months.

So, does Cora lift Houck if they had already won a game this weekend?

I did see the Arauz sac fly. our regulars had a hard time with that runner on 3rd, less than 2 outs situation last season. I hope it sets a trend.

Second straight game Cora had Brasier warming up for the mid-game stopper. This time he used him, of course.

Sea Dog 23

I think Houck is maybe the only (healthy) starter we have with great stuff.  Some nasty pitches .  Last night I think he got jobbed by the ump who would call his outside corner pitch a strike early in the count, but the same pitch always got called a ball late in the count.  As Darling said, an old baseball thing with the way they call strikes at this level.  Good to see our bullpen settle down in this game.  Maybe they'll get more confidence this week.  And hope Dalbec rides the effects of his game winning shot throughout this season.

Kutter is becoming a ballsy pitcher, but his location has to be good as he throws a straight fastball in the manner of Brasier throwing up pitches late in the count.

longgame

Houck seemed to throw more strikes in his ST outings.  It may just be my imagination.  But he really struggled with control.   Sox pitching was actually quite bad last night but they got a lot of clutch outs when needed.  No easy innings until Diekeman.

Sox need to find a way to make this batting order work.   

Sea Dog 23

Diekman may liven up the Sox clubhouse, lol.
(a tweet from Ian Brown)

Jake Diekman is kind of intense!

Do you want to be the closer? “I don’t really give two shits.”

Can I quote you on that?
“Yeah, do it, I don’t really care.”
11:51 PM · Apr 10, 2022·TweetDeck

SeaBeachFred

Sunday Night Baseball?  Biased announcers against Red Sox as usual?  Lousy Red Sox bullpen?  Arch rival Yankees who usually prevail in these settings????   Chances for a sweep against us????????

Result, a tough 4-3 win to avoid a sweep, announcers silenced, good relief pitching, Yankees do not prevail and no sweep.  We needed this win very badly because a sweep might send  this team spinning to mediocrity or worse.  You only have to remember 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2020 to get a full history lesson on this.  Elk was worried about Arroyo in RF; Cora said he looked ok.  So who knows?  Here's what I do know?  We cannot endure with BradSHITley patrolling right field with his balsa wood bat and his penchant to leaving men on base.  Damn it, he has to go.  If Arroyo can't do the job (and I'm not so sure that he can't since he can hit and run the bases well, something JBJ has never been able to do) get someone else before Bradley's bat destroys us.