5. Dansby Swanson (R) SS
6. Austin Riley (R) 1B
7. Nick Markakis (L) RF
8. Tyler Flowers (R) C
9. Adeiny Hechavarria (R) 3B

Gametime Temp: 74°F
Chance of Precip: 3%

Sea Dog 23

Hard game to figure. A  hot club, the Braves just took two of three from the Marlins with some impressive pitching. They have clinched a spot in the playoffs.  Will the  Braves mail it in?   I have no idea if winning a game (s) against Boston affects who their playoff opponent might be.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 25, 2020, 11:20:37 AM
Hard game to figure. A  hot club, the Braves just took two of three from the Marlins with some impressive pitching. They have clinched a spot in the playoffs.  Will the  Braves mail it in?   I have no idea if winning a game (s) against Boston affects who their playoff opponent might be.

Right now they are 2nd in the NL and have clinched their division.  For the record, the Dodgers have won 40 games, the Braves 34 and the Cubs 32.  All have 3 games to play.  I think the tiebreaker is record against your own division (remember no head to heads with other divisions or even with common opponents).  The Braves also have a two game lead in that category and both teams are playing AL teams (Boston and CWS) so the Braves win the tiebreaker.  So they have to win one or the Cubs lose one of the next 3 to keep the #2 spot.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on September 25, 2020, 11:40:46 AM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 25, 2020, 11:20:37 AM

Right now they are 2nd in the NL and have clinched their division.  For the record, the Dodgers have won 40 games, the Braves 34 and the Cubs 32.  All have 3 games to play.  I think the tiebreaker is record against your own division (remember no head to heads with other divisions or even with common opponents).  The Braves also have a two game lead in that category and both teams are playing AL teams (Boston and CWS) so the Braves win the tiebreaker.  So they have to win one or the Cubs lose one of the next 3 to keep the #2 spot.

Thanks  Ted.  That will give a lot of insight how the Braves manager might handle game situations.  Not a big game to watch, but still there's the game within the game.

SeaBeachFred

Well guys, with Chris Pizza pitching for us do the Braves even need to  worry?  Fact is save for one game Mazza has been a real POS on the mound and I don't want to see him in a Red Sox uniform next season.. one of many of the dudI want to see off the team.

Sea Dog 23

It is what it is.  Roenicke is resting Devers and Bogey for Lin and Arauz.  Heck there's only 3 games left.  Those holes in the lineup are going to make things simpler for Braves pitching.  No hits, and I think only 2 balls hit out of the infield in 4 innings

Sea Dog 23

Jackie got himself a solo shot in the 5th, followed by a Plawecki hit to break up a perfect game by Wright.  1-1 game in the 6th.

elktonnick

Once again RR demonstrates his absolute stupidity at in game management.  One run lead, man on second no outs, Freddy Freeman at the plate, does RR walk him to set up the double play.  Of course not, he pitches to him.  Two run blast ball game. I know this is a meaningless game but you manage the game properly.  RR does not do that.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: elktonnick on September 25, 2020, 10:18:11 PM
Once again RR demonstrates his absolute stupidity at in game management.  One run lead, man on second no outs, Freddy Freeman at the plate, does RR walk him to set up the double play.  Of course not, he pitches to him.  Two run blast ball game. I know this is a meaningless game but you manage the game properly.  RR does not do that.

I think RR might suffer from situational awareness.  He probably draws on his lengthy experience of cataloging his pitching assignments, guys who are setup men, guys who are closers. Playing the percentages lefty against lefty.  The extra innings scrambling of players called for some moxy he did not have,  certainly on Friday.

He must have lost track of the situation, maybe the best LH hitter this year in all of MLB facing a lefty Springs, who is not a power pitcher and has an abysmal track record in relief.  Yes walk this batter.  Also RR was fooled because Springs , as an anamoly,  had a good outing this week against the O's.  His usual guys Brasier (Barnes), tonight Brasier lost it in the 9th.  2020 can't be over soon enough.

SeaBeachFred

No matter how you slice it RR mismanaged the game last night.  You have Freddie Freeman at thep late with first base open, you put him on, get that POS Springs out of the damn game and put in a fresh pitcher to set up a possible DP.  What the hell was Renoecke waiting for anyway?  The guy gave up four runs and three hits in one inning plus of pitching and save for one or tow games he has been a disaster in relief.  My fear is that the Prune is going to stay  on his economy kick over the winter and keep this rotten bum around for another year to mismanage  the team.  And how about grooming Devers for DH since he cannot field third base to save his fat ass.  Fourteen errors in abou t 55 gamnes for him?  You can't have that guy on 3B unless he hits 50 homers and drives in 140 runs.  And evdn then it's taking a chance.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on September 25, 2020, 10:18:11 PM

The Braves announcers were joyous about that.  It was almost too good to be true to them.  Good thing he's gone.