GAME #136, BOSTON RED SOX AT NEW YORK YANKEES

Started by Bear, September 02, 2017, 04:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

RED SOX V YANKEES

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 2, 2017, 1 PM AT YANKEE STADIUM

TV:  NESN, MLBN, (OUT-OF-MARKET ONLY), YES, MLBN

BOSTON, (77-58)....................................................................................NEW YORK, (71-63)

BOSTON:

DREW POMERANZ, LHP, 14-4, 3.23 ERA, 149K

Pomeranz, continues to be one of the stories of the season for the Red Sox,
going from a bubble rotation candidate in Spring Training to the team's No. 2
starter.  In 14 starts since June 16, Pomeranz is 8-0 with a 2.31 ERA

NEW YORK:

MASAHIRO TANAKA, RHP, 10-10, 4.69 ERA, 155K

Tanaka has been excellent in two starts since coming off the disabled list,
striking out 10 Mariners in is last effort in Sunday's win in the Bronx.  Tanaka
is 1-2 with a 3.32 ERA in three starts vs Boston this year.

AL East-leading Sox welcome JBJ back to lineup

Ian Browne

In Saturday's Game 3 of the four-game rivalry showdown against the Yankees, the American League East-leading Red Sox will get another key piece back in the lineup when center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. is activated from the disabled list.

Bradley, who was out with a left thumb sprain, is an elite defender who also has the power to take aim at the cozy dimensions of right field in the Bronx.

"I'm ready to play," said Bradley. "I was telling a few guys how I couldn't imagine a 15-day DL. I guess I've got to be happy it's only 10. I feel like I should be ready to go."

The second-place Yankees, led by righty starter Masahiro Tanaka, will try to stop Bradley and the rest of Boston's lineup. Dustin Pedroia returned on Friday, as the Red Sox are getting healthier down the stretch.

After a shaky first half, Tanaka has pitched much better since the All-Star break, going 3-2 with a 2.96 ERA in seven starts.

Drew Pomeranz, who has emerged into the No. 2 starter for the Red Sox, goes for his 15th win.
The Yankees hope to jump on Pomeranz, led by Aaron Judge, who hit a double in his first at-bat Friday in his continued quest to emerge from a slump.

"He's going to be fine," Yankees veteran Matt Holliday said of Judge. "This is baseball. It's hard. The pitching nowadays is ridiculously good and if you're not perfectly timed up, you're going to go through some tough stretches. That's just the way it is. Every day is a challenge."

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Pomeranz loves pitching at Yankee Stadium, where he is 3-1 with a 2.18 ERA in four career starts. Then again, Pomeranz loves pitching anywhere lately. In 14 starts since June 16, Pomeranz is 8-0 with a 2.31 ERA. Gary Sanchez (6-for-15, three HRs, six RBIs), Brett Gardner (8-for-23, one homer) and Didi Gregorius (8-for-19, one homer) have all swung the bat well against Pomeranz.

• The Yankees will expect another strong performance from Tanaka, who has been far better at home this season (3.77 ERA) than on the road (5.62). Pedroia is the Boston player with the best track record against the righty, hitting .290 with two doubles and a homer in 31 at-bats.

• The Red Sox are at their best when they are making things happen on the bases. They are 23-1 when stealing multiple bases in a game.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170901251848948/al-east-leading-sox-welcome-jbj-back-to-lineup/?game_pk=492120

Bear

#RedSox:

Nunez SS,
Benintendi LF,
Betts RF,
Moreland 1B,
Ramirez DH,
Devers 3B,
Vazquez C,
Bradley CF,
Lin 2B

Pomeranz LHP.

Bill-806

Lets keep the foot on their throats.....  Big OPPORTUNITY today !!! thumb_u rofl

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bill-806 on September 02, 2017, 07:49:17 AM
Lets keep the foot on their throats.....  Big OPPORTUNITY today !!! thumb_u rofl

Big opportunity unless Farrell starts thinking he's the smartest man in the room---which he most certainly is not.  He must NOT rest Pedroia today so he can put his pet Bogaerts back into the starting lineup.  The game today is going to be challenging enough without putting our biggest stiff outside of Young back in the starting lineup---where he does not belong.  We have to win one of the next two games to get out of New York with a decent edge, and putting Bogaerts back into that lineup is a sure sign of wanting to give the Yankees the edge because we all know the guy has brought nothing to the lineup for three months now.

Bill-806

Quote from: Bear on September 02, 2017, 04:54:37 AM
#RedSox:

Nunez SS,
Benintendi LF,
Betts RF,
Moreland 1B,
Ramirez DH,
Devers 3B,
Vazquez C,
Bradley CF,
Lin 2B

Pomeranz LHP.
DAD & Bill-806 are OK with todays lineup....  I/WE like that KID LIN at 2nd base... thumb_u rofl

elktonnick

No Pedroia, no Young and no Bogaerts.  I wonder if we are seeing some auditions for the post season roster over the next 27 games

longgame

It makes sense, Pedroia hasn't played in a few weeks and they are taking it slow.  We need him down the stretch so let's not lose him playing a day game after a night game.  JBJ is back in the lineup so that shores up defense and the offense as it replaces Young's or Davis' bat.

If Betts and Ramirez weren't both 40 points off of where they should be we'd be breathing easier.

Bill-806

The word is out....Boggey has been playing since early July with a bad wrist, hope now with roster expansion he gets a chance to clear it !!

markj

Pomeranz gives up a second inning solo dinger. Sox down by a run.

markj

Devers with a miscue to load the bases instead of ending the inning. Could get ugly here.

Schloicka

Why didn't Devers just touch 3rd or the runner? Someone needs to tell him to throw the damn ball. Not the 1st time Devers has taken way to long to throw it.

markj

Nice, Pedroia-like scoop by Lin to get them out of that jam.

markj

Benintendi's on base now. Let's see if he can stay that way and not run himself out.

markj

Devers runs himself into an out. Sox really need to work on the base running.

ipot

The offense continues to "impress."  ::) Don't matter if your pitcher gives up 4.  If you've decided you're only gonna put up 1 run, just mail it in.  Don't play. 
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee