GAME #134, BOSTON RED SOX AT YANKEE STADIUM

Started by Bear, August 31, 2017, 05:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

RED SOX V YANKEES

THURSDAY, AUGUST 31, 2017, 7 PM AT YANKEE STADIUM

TV:  NESN, MLBN, (OUT-OF-MARKET ONLY), YES

BOSTON, (76-57)..........................................................................................NEW YORK, (70-62)

BOSTON:

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ, LHP, 4-4, 4.19 ERA, 114K

The lefty hasn't been all that impressive since returning from the disabled
list, going 0-2 with a 5.08 ERA in eight starts.  Perhaps his luck will change
at Yankee Stadium, where he has thrived in his career, going 2-1 with a 1.38
ERA in four starts.

NEW YORK

CC SABATHIA, LHP, 10-5, 3.8 ERA, 90K

Sabathia has pitched well in two starts since coming off the disabled list,
allowing just three runs in 13 innings.  He was drafted and developed by the
Cleveland Indians.

Rival Sox, Yanks open last regular-season set

Brian Hoch

If the Red Sox and the Yankees are to meet after this weekend, it would come under the bright lights of the postseason, as this regular-season series represents the last chance for the storied rivals to gain or make up ground while sharing the same diamond.

Boston and New York will wrap up their season set with a four-game showdown this weekend at Yankee Stadium, beginning with a Thursday evening matchup between left-handers Eduardo Rodriguez and CC Sabathia. The contest will be highlighted as an MLB Network Showcase game.

"I think they're all big any time we play them -- especially right now," Sabathia said. "Chasing them is always a big deal. It's always a big game. We just want to come out and have a good series. It does seem weird that we're not going to play them all of September. I've never been a part of that."

The Red Sox have enjoyed sole possession of first place in the American League East since the end of play on Aug. 1, and they are up by 5 1/2 games after beating the Blue Jays on Wednesday night. New York has control of the first AL Wild Card spot.

"We know this time of year, things are probably magnified a little bit more," said Red Sox manager John Farrell. "We look forward to the intensity of the games because we've been in some real tight ballgames with them. They've been highly competitive. The balance of a game can swing on one particular pitch."

"At this point of the season, you're going to be able to say those are the most important games of the season, because we won't run into them and where we are in the standings," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said.

New York has won eight of 15 against Boston this season, though the Sox took four of six from the Yanks during a "rivalry week" in August. The Red Sox outscored the Yankees, 17-12, over three games at Yankee Stadium from Aug. 11-13, then outscored them, 17-11, in three contests at Fenway Park from Aug. 18-20.

"We probably had a chance to win four of the six, and we end up winning two of the six. That's frustrating," Girardi said. "I still think we're playing pretty decent baseball. We need that to continue."

The Yankees had a doubleheader against the Indians on Wednesday afternoon in a stretch that permitted the Yanks to shuffle their rotation to have their four best starters face Boston, with Sabathia pushed back a day.

"Every game now for us is so important," Sabathia said. "This weekend won't be any different. We've just got to go out and try and play well from here on out against whoever we play."

Sabathia has given the Red Sox fits this season, going 3-0 with a 0.90 ERA in three starts against the rivals.

"You know what, you've got to tip your hat to CC," said Farrell. "I'll tell you what, he has evolved over time. He has adjusted based on what Father Time has done. He is a heck of an athlete. He repeats his delivery well. He changes speeds, he manages the lineup extremely well. He never gives in."

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• More than 120 pitchers have generated at least 100 batted balls since the All-Star break, and Sabathia leads them all in lowest average exit velocity, at 80.9 mph, according to Statcast. His rate of hard-hit balls allowed (22.6 percent) is fourth lowest during that time.

• Rodriguez was in command of the Yankees the last time he saw them, hurling six scoreless innings of two-hit ball on Aug. 11 in New York. The Yanks rallied for five eighth-inning runs against Boston's bullpen, and Rodriguez is 0-1 with a 6.11 ERA in three starts since then.

• Yankees catcher Gary Sanchez has allowed a combined 53 wild pitches and passed balls, the most in the Major Leagues. Despite that, Girardi has said that he believes Sanchez's defense is improving.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170830251451886/rival-sox-yanks-open-last-regular-season-set/?game_pk=492094

Bear

Red Sox v. Sabathia:

Davis LF,
Nuñez 2B,
Benintendi CF,
Betts RF,
Bogaerts SS,
Devers 3B,
Ramirez 1B,
Young DH,
Vazquez C,

Rodriguez LHP

Bill-806

Bear, just thought I would give you a  "shout out/THANK YOU" for all you do.......  This/your board is a lot of fun and educational too.....  Just wanted to say THANKS.....  Go SOX, sweep those  YANK$  !! thumb_u rofl

Bear

Thanks Bill, I appreciate it.  Now I have to
change paragraph under Sabathia.  He was drafted by Cleveland.

Bill-806

Quote from: Bear on August 31, 2017, 07:44:28 AM
Thanks Bill, I appreciate it.  Now I have to
change paragraph under Sabathia.  He was drafted by Cleveland.
  Don't change it on my account, as DAD would say.... "SON, if you don't say anything, most people won't pick it up" !! iono rofl

ipot

E-Rod needs to get his act together tonight.  Sabathia's having some kind of renaissance of sorts this year.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

BoSoxFanNY

I am hoping for a split of this 4 game series.
Sabathia has pitched well against us this year -
so . . .

Would LOVE to be wrong!

SeaBeachFred

Young in there again.  Doesn't Farrell get it yet, Young can't hit worth crap any more and is hitting under 200 against southpaws.  He is totally useless and gives away four outs we cannot afford to give   That stubborn bastard can still lose the division title for us and Sabathia is the kind of pitcher you need your best hitters in there against him and Young sucks and is not one of them.  You would think after what Moreland did last night he'd get a shot at playing against all kinds of pitching.  Believe me Farrell can blow this race for us, the very worst manager in the game.

markj

Bases loaded, one out. Xman up. I sense a GIDP coming.

markj

Xman K's without taking a swing. At least the inning is still going.

markj

Sox jump out to an early LOBster lead with 3 in the 1st.

markj

markj

Xman lucks out on what should have been a GIDP. Ends up with an RBI.

markj

E-rod with a cool grab of a line shot and toss to 1st to double off Gardner.

markj

Good thing he doubled off Gardner or it would be 2-1 now instead of tied at 1.