GAME #130, BALTIMORE ORIOLES AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, August 27, 2017, 02:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

O'S V RED SOX

SUNDAY, AUGUST 27, 2017, 1:30 PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN, MASN

BALTIMORE, (64-65)..................................................................................BOSTON, (73-56)

BALTIMORE:

WADE MILEY, LHP, 7-10,5.11 ERA, 118K

Miley is enjoying a fine August, going 2-1 with a 2.78 ERA in four starts.
His last Fenway Park start, however, was a different tale as he threw the shortest
outing of his '16 campaign, lasting just 1 1/3 innings last September.

BOSTON:

DOUG FISTER, RHP, 3-6, 4.78 ERA, 44K

Fister's coming off his best career start, a one-hit, complete game win vs the
Indians.  He gave up a HR to leadoff hiter Francisco Lindor, then threw nine no-hit
innings.  In four starts since he replaced the injured David Price, he's 3-1 with a
3.62 ERA.

Miley, 'Fist' start as Players Weekend concludes

Craig Forde

A successful Players Weekend comes to a close on the final weekend of play in August, as the American League East-rival Orioles and Red Sox continue to position themselves for a postseason push in Sunday's series finale at Fenway Park.

"It's all about grinding like heck to have the chance to roll the dice in October," Baltimore manager Buck Showalter said.

"Trying to close out a season as a divisional champion or trying to catch up -- September is an eternity. I keep trying to tell our guys this. They'll inch along, and each day they'll be a different angle, so you try to keep reality in mind."

As divisional races heat up, teams have enjoyed the first Players Weekend, during which players have worn unique uniforms featuring nicknames on the back. The jerseys also have a special patch on the sleeve for players to write the name or names of the people that helped them reach the big leagues.

Showalter will turn to left-hander Wade Miley, who is 2-1 in four August starts, for Sunday's matinee.

"I felt like I threw the ball pretty well," Miley said of his last start. "There were some walks in there, but pretty close misses. I'm a lot closer to the plate than I was a couple weeks ago. So that's something positive to build on."

The Red Sox will have Doug Fister (aka "Fist") on the hill for the final game of the three-game series. After going the distance in his last start, the Boston right-hander joins Rick Porcello (two) and Chris Sale (one) as the only Red Sox pitchers on the active roster with complete games this season.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• The Orioles' Jonathan Schoop (aka "Mamba") leads all second basemen in RBIs (95), and he is also first in home runs (28). Both are career highs for Schoop.

• Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi (aka "Benny") has six home runs, 17 RBIs and 16 runs scored in August, and he is 6-for-6 in stolen-base attempts.

• Boston closer Craig Kimbrel (aka "Dirty Craig") has struck out 51.8 percent (102 of 197) of the batters he has faced this season.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170826250762624/miley-fist-start-as-players-weekend-concludes/?game_pk=492038

Bear

Red Sox lineup:

Nunez 2B;
Benintendi LF;
Betts RF;
Ramirez 1B;
Young DH;
Bogaerts SS;
Davis CF;
Devers 3B;
Leon C,

Fister SP

Bill-806

Dougie, we need that SINKER BALL !!! thumb_u rofl

Bear

2-0, O's.  Hoping we can come back from this one.

ojdidit

HanRam leaves two on.  This stiff is paid 23M and had 49 RBI! Face it, folks, the real Hanleywas 2015 and not 2016.

Schloicka

Quote from: ojdidit on August 27, 2017, 12:55:41 PM
HanRam leaves two on.  This stiff is paid 23M and had 49 RBI! Face it, folks, the real Hanleywas 2015 and not 2016.

Guy can't hit worth a crap. Swings at so much garbage. Eat his contract and move him out.

ojdidit

Quote from: Schloicka on August 27, 2017, 12:57:13 PM
Quote from: ojdidit on August 27, 2017, 12:55:41 PM

Guy can't hit worth a crap. Swings at so much garbage. Eat his contract and move him out.

I refuse to look at Encarnacion's stats since it will make me very, very sick.

Rob from Mass

Yanks winning so a loss and the lead is down quickly to 2.

ojdidit

Quote from: Rob from Mass on August 27, 2017, 01:16:01 PM
Yanks winning so a loss and the lead is down quickly to 2.

Five first inning errors by M's.

Schloicka

ojdidit

No way a Miley should be able to shut down Sox.

Schloicka

Quote from: ojdidit on August 27, 2017, 01:28:13 PM
No way a Miley should be able to shut down Sox.

Ump keeps giving him pitches like the called 3rd strike on Young he might. That pitch was well outside.

markj

Bill-806

Our offense does not make it easy for Fister !!! iono slap