GAME #125, BOSTON RED SOX AT CLEVELAND INDIANS

Started by Bear, August 22, 2017, 02:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

He's authored 3-gems and quite a few disasters. Second time he's stumped Cleveland this year, sandwiched around last week's thumping in Fenway.

Big side benefit is a whole night off for the bull pen.

How bout the agility at 3b younng Devers has shown? I think he's got more potential there than people give him credit for. Still very impressiv to see a late pop-up almost reach the opposite field warning track.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 22, 2017, 03:59:49 PM
On the bright side, ......  OK, I got nothing.

Barnes on DL with lower back soreness or whatever. Hopefully 10 days is enough. Valasquez is our pen saver tonight. Baseball is a funny game. Fister could be on and throw another 8-inning gem. Or not.

Or nine!

longgame

Quote from: ojdidit on August 23, 2017, 06:33:16 AM
Afterthoughts Johnson and Fister pitch two best games of the year. Go figure.

That's what I was thinking.  Not just a one hitter but that one hit was the first batter, then he faced the minimum I believe.

Rob from Mass

There is nothing better in sports than the UNEXPECTED.

Schloicka

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 22, 2017, 10:45:42 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on August 22, 2017, 09:57:47 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 22, 2017, 03:53:27 PM
Quote from: Bear on August 22, 2017, 03:15:09 PM
Ipot, I hope we're the team laughing at the end.   iono

Don't bank on it Bear.  Have you heard lately a more downtrodden phrase than Fister is pitching tonight for us?  Lot of walks, lot of hits, runs in bunches and our lead down to 3.5 at the end of the night because the Tigers on our their bellies and will offer the yankees nothing but a punching bag.  I'm going to the movies---the rest of you suffer another miserable performance from that bum, more blunders from Farrell in the dugout and the specter of Bogaerts having another ofer, most likely an error and a bunch of men left on base.

Did you enjoy your movie? I didn't realize Dumb & Dumber was still in theaters.

Sorry I missed that picture George.  Tell me when it plays again so i can see you on the screen.  Just let me know which of the two characters you're playing.  And please, save me the crocodile tears.  You had no more idea that Fister was going to pitch a gem than any of the rest of us did and if you say otherwise you need a lot more bran in your diet.

Why would I have crocodile tears? How would I know what type of game anyone is going to pitch? I don't pretend to be a prognosticator and make predictions about what's going to happen in a game. Of course I don't look at the Sox and think everything is doom and gloom everyday. Are there times that I think something could of been done differently in a game? Sure. But I'm not going to throw a fit over it like a child who didn't get his way. I leave the tantrums to others. It's a game that I have absolutely no input or control over. The only thing I control is if I watch the game or not.

Rob from Mass

I am much more impressed on Fisters seeing it was on the road against a hot contending team .
But Johnsons was a beauty also especially the 8Ks and zero BBs.

ipot

Hey, it's baseball right?  And every once in a while Sale will yanked after 5 inns, giving up 7 runs.  iono
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

longgame

I think everyone on this board a) wants the Sox to win; b) has players they like and dislike; c) isn't afraid to express their opinions and d) likes to throw in some sarcasm or a little jab here and there.  Doesn't make sense that so many are picking at each other on this board!

I'm also pretty sure that we all thought Fister would not stink it up and that the Sox did not have a good matchup heading in, as I'm sure we were all delighted that we were wrong. 

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: longgame on August 23, 2017, 11:36:06 AM
I think everyone on this board a) wants the Sox to win; b) has players they like and dislike; c) isn't afraid to express their opinions and d) likes to throw in some sarcasm or a little jab here and there.  Doesn't make sense that so many are picking at each other on this board!

I'm also pretty sure that we all thought Fister would not stink it up and that the Sox did not have a good matchup heading in, as I'm sure we were all delighted that we were wrong.

I, for one, am DEFINITELY delighted that I was wrong about Fister.
GREAT pitching performance last night.
May he continue to pitch well.

MongoLikeSox

To my count, bad memory and laziness to look it up, he's started and thrown 3 beauties and 4-5 duds. At least with him, there's a chance for a gem. never know which one is going to happen, but there's a chance. We've had some 5th starter types whom I never thought there was a chance. (did I say that right? Of whom....w/e)

I'd hate to see the Fister-PomPoms and Sale play the outfielders in some 3-on-3 hoops action. Thassome big boys we're throwing out there.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on August 23, 2017, 08:17:01 AM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 22, 2017, 10:45:42 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on August 22, 2017, 09:57:47 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 22, 2017, 03:53:27 PM
Quote from: Bear on August 22, 2017, 03:15:09 PM
Ipot, I hope we're the team laughing at the end.   iono

Don't bank on it Bear.  Have you heard lately a more downtrodden phrase than Fister is pitching tonight for us?  Lot of walks, lot of hits, runs in bunches and our lead down to 3.5 at the end of the night because the Tigers on our their bellies and will offer the yankees nothing but a punching bag.  I'm going to the movies---the rest of you suffer another miserable performance from that bum, more blunders from Farrell in the dugout and the specter of Bogaerts having another ofer, most likely an error and a bunch of men left on base.

Did you enjoy your movie? I didn't realize Dumb & Dumber was still in theaters.

Sorry I missed that picture George.  Tell me when it plays again so i can see you on the screen.  Just let me know which of the two characters you're playing.  And please, save me the crocodile tears.  You had no more idea that Fister was going to pitch a gem than any of the rest of us did and if you say otherwise you need a lot more bran in your diet.

Why would I have crocodile tears? How would I know what type of game anyone is going to pitch? I don't pretend to be a prognosticator and make predictions about what's going to happen in a game. Of course I don't look at the Sox and think everything is doom and gloom everyday. Are there times that I think something could of been done differently in a game? Sure. But I'm not going to throw a fit over it like a child who didn't get his way. I leave the tantrums to others. It's a game that I have absolutely no input or control over. The only thing I control is if I watch the game or not.

Maybe so, but you got very personal with me last night George and it isn't the first time.  I don't turn the other cheek when I'm insulted and I will watch your missives because I will retaliate any time you get personal with me and I will keep at it until you quit.  I thought recent exchanges showed a real thaw in our relationship but apparently not.  Since you don't have the courage or guts to apologize for what you wrote I can only let it slide until such time when I can land a haymaker or two or three on my own------and you can bet I will do just that .

mark, thanks for deleting that last word.  I also deleted the first syllable myself.  Thanks for having my back.  I

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on August 23, 2017, 11:36:06 AM

t when it gets personal and someone calls you either dumb or dumber, it is time to deal with such a person because that guy is a cad..  You can pan me, kid me, make me a victim of a practical joke but you don't insult me by calling be dumb or dumber because I will retaliate and we will have flamage across the board.  I don't like what Schoicka said last night and I have made my position clear.  I do not expect it will happen again.

elktonnick

Hey I am excited as anyone that Fister pitched a gem.  But let's not kid ourselves no one and I mean no one expected Fister to pitch like that.  If anyone did expect that Fister wouldn't have been available for the Sox to pick him up in the first place.  That's what makes last night so special.  It was so unexpected.