GAME #125, BOSTON RED SOX AT CLEVELAND INDIANS

Started by Bear, August 22, 2017, 02:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

INDIANS V RED SOX

TUESDAY, AUGUST 22, 2017, 7 PM AT PROGRESSIVE FIELD

TV:  NESN, SPORT TIME OHIO

BOSTON, (71-53).................................................................................CLEVELAND, (69-54)

BOSTON:

DOUG FISTER, RHP, 2-6, 5.56 ERA, 38K

The sinkerballer will make his third start vs the Indians in the last month.  He
gave up seven hits and five runs in 4 1/3 frames against them in his last start, but
he's fared well vs Cleveland in his career, posting a 3.35 ERA in 18 starts.

CLEVELAND:

CARLOS CARRASCO, 12-5, 3.76 ERA, 161K

Carrasco picked up his 12th win of the season after going five innings and allowing
one run on five hits and nine strikeouts against the Twins on Thursday.  He is 3-3 with
a 4.80 ERA in 10 starts at Progressive Field.

Fister set to face Tribe for third time in month

William Kosileski

The second game of four between the Red Sox and the Indians at Progressive Field will feature a matchup between a pair of right-handers, as Boston's Doug Fister will face off against Cleveland's Carlos Carrasco on Tuesday.

Carrasco (12-5, 3.76 ERA) will get the nod for the American League Central-leading Indians. Carrasco picked up the win in the first game of Thursday's doubleheader against the Twins, but he really had to earn it. He worked out of a bases-loaded, no-out situation in the first inning without giving up a run, and then went on to pitch five solid innings, in which he allowed one run, five hits and one walk while striking out nine.

"That's a hard way to start the game," said Indians manager Terry Francona. "So staying out there for five and for the most part keeping them off the scoreboard, we'll take it. That had a chance to be a complete bullpen game."

The last time Carrasco faced Boston, he only lasted 1 2/3 innings and allowed five runs on six hits and three walks. He has pitched well over his last two starts, though, going 2-0 with a 0.69 ERA and 19 strikeouts in 13 innings.

The AL East-leading Red Sox will oppose Carrasco with Fister (2-6, 5.56 ERA). Fister is making his second straight against Cleveland, and his third overall this season.

Fister fared well against the Indians in his first start against them, going 7 2/3 innings and allowing two runs on five hits on July 31. But the Indians roughed up Fister on Aug. 14, as he lasted only 4 1/3 innings and allowed five runs on seven hits and four walks. However, the Boston starter has posted solid career numbers against the Indians, going 6-5 with a 3.35 ERA in 18 starts.

"There's a lot of familiarity on both sides in a short period of time, particularly against a team that's not in your division," Red Sox manager John Farrell said. "This is a rarity. ... There might be another new face that [Fister] hasn't faced in the lineup here with the way their guys have come back off the disabled list. He's pitched a couple good ballgames for us. We're going to need it again."

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Red Sox first baseman Mitch Moreland -- who was scratched from the lineup on Monday with neck soreness -- has found success against Carrasco in his career, going 5-for-11 (.455) with three homers, one double, nine RBIs and a 1.902 OPS. On the other side, Indians second baseman Jason Kipnis has hit well against Fister in his career. Kipnis is 12-for-30 (.400) with two doubles, two RBIs, two walks and a .904 OPS vs. Fister.

• One of Carrasco's strongest pitches this season has been his slider. Per Statcast, the right-hander has held opposing hitters to a .113 average and a .189 slugging percentage with the pitch. In addition, Carrasco has generated 113 whiffs and 54 called strikes with his slider, as well as 63 strikeouts.

• Carrasco has pitched better on the road than he has at home this season. He has gone 3-3 with a 4.80 ERA in 10 starts at Progressive Field this season, while going 9-2 with a 3.01 ERA in 14 starts on the road.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170821249696212/fister-set-to-face-tribe-for-third-time-in-month/?game_pk=491967

Bear

Game 2 in Cleveland:

Nuñez 2B,
Betts RF,
Benintendi LF,
Ramirez DH,
Devers 3B,
Bogaerts SS,
Moreland 1B,
Leon C,
Bradley Jr. CF,

Fister RHP

ipot

The pitching match up is truly comical.  ::) :o
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bear

Ipot, I hope we're the team laughing at the end.   iono

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bear on August 22, 2017, 03:15:09 PM
Ipot, I hope we're the team laughing at the end.   iono

Don't bank on it Bear.  Have you heard lately a more downtrodden phrase than Fister is pitching tonight for us?  Lot of walks, lot of hits, runs in bunches and our lead down to 3.5 at the end of the night because the Tigers on our their bellies and will offer the yankees nothing but a punching bag.  I'm going to the movies---the rest of you suffer another miserable performance from that bum, more blunders from Farrell in the dugout and the specter of Bogaerts having another ofer, most likely an error and a bunch of men left on base.

Well I'm now wiping the egg of my face and I would imagine I have good company there as well.  Who would have thought?  I came back from the show and we were winning and pretty soon it was a wipe out, but a one hitter by Fister?  He teased us once before but maybe this was what he might be capable of doing.  He did it against a very good team.  As I told someone Sunday baseball is a very weird game and it seems get more weird by the week.  We needed this because the Yanks killed the Tigers tonight and I don't think we will get much help from them either.

MongoLikeSox

On the bright side, ......  OK, I got nothing.

Barnes on DL with lower back soreness or whatever. Hopefully 10 days is enough. Valasquez is our pen saver tonight. Baseball is a funny game. Fister could be on and throw another 8-inning gem. Or not.

BoSoxFanNY

Not feeling confident in this series with the pitching matchups
vs. Cleveland.

REALLY wish we had one last night's game.

Going into this series - I was hoping for a split
of the 4 games.  Fearful that we may win only one.

Have to root for the Tigers to beat the Yankees.

markj

Sweet DP. Fister cruising through 5 innings at 67 pitches.

markj

Fister with another good inning. Still below 80 pitches. thumb_u

markj

markj

markj

Wow, Fister is pitching a gem here. Easily through 7 innings at 90 pitches.

markj

Nunez comes through again with a 3-run dinger. Sox up 9-1.

Schloicka

Nice to see Nunez get the bat going. Was 0-13 before his last 2 at bats. Knocks in 5 runs in those 2 hits. Now need to get Betts on track.

markj

Fister with a gem. Through 8 innings. PC is over 100, so he may be done. But this is just what we needed tonight.