GAME #98, BOSTON RED SOX V LA ANGELS

Started by Bear, July 21, 2017, 12:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

RED SOX V ANGELS

FRIDAY, JULY 21, 2017, 10 PM, ANGEL STADIUM OF ANAHEIM

TV:  NESN, FS-W

BOSTON, (54-43)..........................................................................................ANAHEIM, (47-50)

BOSTON:

CHRIS SALE, LHP, 11-4, 2.59 ERA, 191K

Sale dazzled in his last appearance, striking out  thirteen in 7 2/3 in scoreless innings
vs the Yankees.  The ace has 13 double-digit strikeout games this season, which is six away
from tying the franchise's single-season record held by Pedro Martinez.

ANAHEIM:

RICKY NOLASCO, RHP, 4-10, 4.82 ERA, 91K

Nolasco allowed just one run on two hits over seven innings in his last start against the
Rays on Friday.  The 34-year-old veteran is 3-2 with a 5.68 ERA in seven career starts
against the Red Sox.

Sale leads Sox into Angel Stadium

Kaelen Jones

Major League stars continue to make the rounds at Angel Stadium, as Mike Trout and the Angels will host Chris Sale and the Red Sox on Friday night as the teams open a three-game set.

Neither Sale (11-4, 2.59 ERA) nor Trout appeared in a three-game series between their clubs last month at Fenway Park, as Sale's turn in the rotation eluded the Halos' visit and Trout was still on the disabled list recovering from a torn UCL in his left thumb.

Friday will mark the first time Sale will face Trout and the Angels since April 20, 2016, when he was a member of the White Sox.

The outing will be Sale's second since the All-Star break. The left-hander started for the American League in the Midsummer Classic on July 11, then pitched 7 2/3 scoreless innings before drawing a no-decision against the Yankees on Saturday.

The Angels will send right-hander Ricky Nolasco (4-10, 4.82) to the bump. He'll look to build off a quality performance against the Rays on Friday, when he spun seven innings of one-run ball on two hits and two walks while striking out six.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Trout is 5-for-16 against Sale, with a grand slam, three walks and three strikeouts.

• Sale, a six-time All-Star, has logged 16 quality starts this season, tied for the second in the Major Leagues.
Over the last two seasons, the southpaw has pitched at least six innings in 47 of his 51 starts, and he has lasted six-plus innings in 18 of his 19 2017 starts.

• Nolasco has given up a Major League-high 26 home runs this season.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170720243231254/sale-leads-sox-into-angel-stadium/?game_pk=491533

Bear

More than likely I will not post the lineups for games against the Angels.
I hope someone will take it upon himself to help out.
Lineups from Twitter appear to be the posted the earliest.
Thank you,
Marge

Red Sox at LAA:

Betts RF,
Benintendi LF,
Pedroia 2B,
Moreland 1B,
Ramirez DH,
Bogaerts SS,
Bradley Jr. CF,
Leon C,
Holt 3B,

Sale LHP

SeaBeachFred

The Red Sox will be in my general area for three games but you won't see me at any of them.  I got my fill in Fenway last month when they hosted the Angels on David Ortiz weekend.  Yes, they won the first game to commemorate t he retiring of Papi's number 34----and that was when I should have flown home.  Instead I stayed for the other two games and saw a pathetic Red Sox team flail away and look like a pack of shits in losing both.  I've spent enough money to see them stink up Boston; I don't want to be embarrassed in my homeland.  When you go 4-4 on a homestand against two division opponents you have to pretty much accept the fact that we have a mediocre team that can look down right shitty given a moment's notice.  No, I';ll save my money and watch the game on television.......maybe.

Well how about our gutless hitters finally breaking loose tonight to give Chris Sale a good chance to pick up victory #12?  That would be a start worthy to at least begin to make up for our miserable failure of a homestand.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Bear on July 21, 2017, 12:47:53 AM
More than likely I will not post the lineups for games against the Angels.
I hope someone will take it upon himself to help out.
Lineups from Twitter appear to be the posted the earliest.
Thank you,
Marge

Red Sox at LAA:

Betts RF,
Benintendi LF,
Pedroia 2B,
Moreland 1B,
Ramirez DH,
Bogaerts SS,
Bradley Jr. CF,
Leon C,
Holt 3B,

Sale LHP

Yunel Escobar, 3B
Mike Trout, CF
Albert Pujols, DH
C.J. Cron, 1B
Andrelton Simmons, SS
Kole Calhoun, RF
Martin Maldonado, C
Shane Robinson, LF
Cliff Pennington, 2B
Ricky Nolasco, RHP (4-10, 4.82

markj

Schloicka

A Moreland sighting. He actually got a hit and RBI. Sign him long term before it's to late.

markj

Looking good here so far. Keep it up.

markj

JBJ with an RBI but then a base running screwup.

markj

Sale has a 5 run lead to work with. Unless he has an uncharacteristically bad outing, that should be enough.

markj

ipot

Quote from: markj on July 21, 2017, 09:26:29 PM
Sale has a 5 run lead to work with. Unless he has an uncharacteristically bad outing, that should be enough.

My thinking as well. Gotta get this W.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

markj

Good thing Sale is on tonight because the Sox appear to be done scoring runs.

ipot

"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

markj

markj

Hanley K's looking at a questionable strike. It was close enough, though.