GAME #85, BOSTON RED SOX AT TEXAS RANGERS

Started by Bear, July 05, 2017, 01:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

RED SOX V RANGERS

WEDNESDAY, JULY 5, 2017, 8 PM AT GLOBE LIFE PARK IN ARLINGTON

TV:  NESN, FSSW

BOSTON, (49-35)...................................................................................TEXAS, (40-44)

DOUG FISTER, RHP, 0-1, 4.91 ERA, 11K

The sinkerballer has pitched well in his first two starts for the Red sox since
being claimed off waivers from the Angels.  Lifetime on the road Fister is 36-40
with a 3.94 ERA.

TEXAS:

ANDREW CASHNER, RHP, 3-7, 3.87 ERA, 36K

Cashner came off the DL on June 29 and allowed five runs in five innings
to the Indians.  He also suffered a contusion on his right forearm when hit by
a broken bat.  He pitched against Boston on May 23 and also allowed five runs
in five innings.

Red Sox eye sweep, 7-game winning streak

The Red Sox will try to extend their winning streak to a season-high seven games and sweep the Rangers when the two squads take the field Wednesday night at Globe Life Park.

Boston right-hander Doug Fister will make his third start of the season after allowing three earned runs in each of his previous two outings, totaling 11 innings.

"I'm feeling really good about things," Fister said. "I feel really good about the action on the pitches and the control of things."

Fister has allowed three or fewer earned runs in six of his last seven starts against the Rangers, throwing six innings in five of those outings.

"They've got a great lineup and you've got to respect every one of them with the tools they have," Fister said. "You've got to go out and execute."

Hoping for better luck than his last time out, right-hander Andrew Cashner will start for the Rangers. Cashner exited his most recent start last Thursday in Cleveland after he was hit in the stomach and right forearm by a piece of a broken bat.
Cashner took the loss, going five-plus innings while allowing five earned runs on six hits and two walks. He had to depart after just 81 pitches after the freaky injury.

"I thought I threw the ball well. I kind of lost a grip on it after I got hit with the bat," Cashner said. "I couldn't really throw my slider. My forearm hurt too much, but I'm looking forward to getting back out there."

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Rangers third baseman Joey Gallo, who struck out as a pinch-hitter Tuesday, is 2-for-22 with two homers, seven walks and 16 strikeouts in his last 11 games. He had the lowest qualifying average in the American League at .192 entering Tuesday's games.

• Cashner has faced the Red Sox only once in his 215 Major League appearances, allowing five runs on six hits to earn the loss on May 23. Xander Bogaerts had two hits off Cashner, including a two-run single in the fifth inning, Cashner's last.

• The Red Sox are 14-0 this season when stealing multiple bases. In their last 24 games, Boston is 20-for-25 (80 percent) in stolen-base attempts. On Tuesday against Texas, Christian Vazquez and Tzu-Wei Lin executed a double steal in the second inning.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170705240460174/red-sox-eye-sweep-7-game-winning-streak/?game_pk=491365

Bear

Red Sox v. Cashner:

Betts RF,
Pedroia 2B,
Bogaerts SS,
Moreland 1B,
Ramirez DH,
Benintendi LF,
Bradley Jr. CF,
Vázquez C,
Lin 3B,

Fister RHP

Rob from Mass

So far the little dude from TAIWAN sure has impressed.While not the long term answer he has been what the team desperately needed now especially on defense.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on July 05, 2017, 10:14:15 AM
So far the little dude from TAIWAN sure has impressed.While not the long term answer he has been what the team desperately needed now especially on defense.
  B I N G O  dat  !!! thumb_u rofl

Schloicka

I'm not sure what the question is when we are looking for a long term answer. Lin is only 23. Can play 3 infield positions fairly well. Is a pretty good ball player coming up from AA. He and Marrero have done very well on defense. Both have been hitting fairly well. Lin is hitting .360 right now. (.381 this past week) Obviously I don't expect him to hit at that level forever but it's been the guys at the bottom of the order who have been the catalyst for our recent success. Betts can't get 8 RBI if the bottom of order doesn't get on. If the top of the order last night had hit anything the Sox would of scored 15 runs. The bottom of order was on all night. Right now I ride the people who have been playing. I don't want to see a Holt or Panda brought up. When or if the combo of Lin and Marrero hit the skids then I think about a change. Until then I don't want to see any changes just for change sake.

dgalehouse

We have seen many times how a young guy can come up and provide a spark for a team. Lin may revert to his minor league batting stats, but no need to worry about that now. Enjoy it while it's here.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Schloicka on July 05, 2017, 11:03:46 AM

I'm not sure what the question is when we are looking for a long term answer. Lin is only 23. Can play 3 infield positions fairly well. Is a pretty good ball player coming up from AA. He and Marrero have done very well on defense. Both have been hitting fairly well. Lin is hitting .360 right now. (.381 this past week) Obviously I don't expect him to hit at that level forever but it's been the guys at the bottom of the order who have been the catalyst for our recent success. Betts can't get 8 RBI if the bottom of order doesn't get on. If the top of the order last night had hit anything the Sox would of scored 15 runs. The bottom of order was on all night. Right now I ride the people who have been playing. I don't want to see a Holt or Panda brought up. When or if the combo of Lin and Marrero hit the skids then I think about a change. Until then I don't want to see any changes just for change sake.

Corner positions are viewed as power spots and you don`t usually see singles type guys play there.Its way to early to speculate that far ahead.Neither guy has the minor stats that would make one think they can maintain a BA in the .270 range.Both thankfully have been key players lately. Perhaps Lin will be the next Holt type guy.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on July 05, 2017, 12:07:14 PM

Corner positions are viewed as power spots and you don`t usually see singles type guys play there.Its way to early to speculate that far ahead.Neither guy has the minor stats that would make one think they can maintain a BA in the .270 range.Both thankfully have been key players lately. Perhaps Lin will be the next Holt type guy.
  Tell that to WADE BOGGS !!!

Schloicka

Quote from: Rob from Mass on July 05, 2017, 12:07:14 PM

Lin was hitting .302 at AA this year before his call up. Maybe he has figured it out? I don't expect him to hit .300 but if he can be counted on to play good defense and hit around .280 I have no problem with him. The Sox don't really need power from their 3rd baseman. With Betts, Moreland, Beni, Hanley and JBJ they'll be ok in the power department. What they have needed at the bottom of the order is someone to get on base for Betts. Holt doesn't really play any better than Lin has been. Only advantage Holt has is he can play the outfield too. If I was going to make any move it would be to bring Devers up if you want some power from 3rd base. Other than that stay with the current situation until you really need to make a change.

Myself I worry more about Xman. He has an excellent average but I think it is weak. I'd rather see him hit .290 and for power. When I watch him you can tell he's not interested in power. If you want to hit for power you need to go to the plate trying to do that.

Sea Dog 23

I'm getting the feel that DD is going to make a trade for an established 3b at the deadline, more than any other position.  A guy with some power.  Doesn't need a big contract guy, just a reliable everyday player that won't cost much as far as prospects.

I see that even Panda is outhitting Peralta( now just a singles hitter) at Pawtucket.  Holt is still getting his legs.  Like said above we need a power bat at 3B.  Maybe a guy for 1.5 seasons until Devers is ready.

Rob from Mass

We can speculate all we want but Devers is the future at 3rd .That is the end of the story as far as that position is concerned.
As far as Lin we will see if he is still around and helping out come August 1st.Geez, the kid has only a sip of coffee up with the Sox.He can just as quickly go 2-20 and conversation is over.Let's ride the wave and see what transpires.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on July 05, 2017, 02:17:53 PM
We can speculate all we want but Devers is the future at 3rd .That is the end of the story as far as that position is concerned.
As far as Lin we will see if he is still around and helping out come August 1st.Geez, the kid has only a sip of coffee up with the Sox.He can just as quickly go 2-20 and conversation is over.Let's ride the wave and see what transpires.
Another  B I N G O dat !!

Rob from Mass

Hopefully, Fister continues to at least keep the game close thru 5-6 innings.Get 7 straight and head to TB with a 4 game lead where it matters the most.

ojdidit

Marrero can't hit RH pitching (.151) and wails on lefties (.361). Lin appears to have some nice bat control and can do the little things well. Hit over .300 against lefties at Portland. So you have two guys that can play the infield with above average defense.  In fact Marrero leads all AL third basemen in UZR/150 (250+ innings). Lefty pitches you play Marrero.  Righty you play Lin. Can you carry .230 average from the two of them?  Based on how the offense has improved I would say yes since their defense is excellent. My only complaint with Marrero is his bunting skills. Almost non-exestant although he had one in Toronto.

Rob from Mass

Yanks lost again to the Jays .Sox W puts the lead at 4.