GAME #37, TAMPA BAY RAYS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, May 14, 2017, 04:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

RAYS V RED SOX

SUNDAY, MAY 14, 2017, 1:30PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN,  FOX SPORTS SUN

TAMPA, (17-21.............................................................................BOSTON, (19-17)

TAMPA:

MATT ANDRIESE, RHP 2-1, 3.12ERA, 37K

Andriese allowed two earned runs in 5 1/3 innings Tuesday against
the Royals, coming away with a no-decision.  He is 0-1 with a 9.45 ERA
in two career appearances at Fenway Park and 1-15 with a 4.21 ERA in
six career appearances against the Red Sox.

BOSTON:

DREW POMERANZ, LPH, 3-2, 5.23ERA, 36K

The lefty gave up five runs and two homers in the first inning
over his last start against the Brewers.  Pomeranz last faced
the Rays on April 16, and he had an odd start that day, giving
up five runs over 4 1/3 innings, but also striking out ten.

Pomeranz, Andriese set for Mother's Day tilt

Craig Forde

BOSTON -- After a lifetime of watching the boys get dirty playing in the yard, what better way for mothers to spend their day than by watching their grown sons do the same, in a more-manicured yard?

This Mother's Day, Drew Pomeranz will get his first professional opportunity to honor Mom from the hill, as the Red Sox turn to him for Sunday's rubber match.

The Red Sox left-hander has struggled with the change in months, going 1-1 with a 7.71 ERA in two May starts that have totaled just 9 1/3 innings of work.

For the Rays, right-hander Matt Andriese is back for more Mother's Day action after having the honor of making his season debut on the day last year.

"It's kind of weird how it all worked out again, pitching on Mother's Day," he said. "It's always good to throw on Mother's Day to show the appreciation for all the moms out there. It'll be fun."

Last year's start came in Anaheim, less than an hour from his hometown of Redlands, and the very place he and his family took his mother Lynne to celebrate Mother's Day.

"To get called up last year, to pitch there for that game, was a pretty cool experience," said Andriese, who is 1-0 with a 1.46 ERA in two May starts.

Though Lynne and crew aren't in Boston for this year's festivities, the Rays starter is always prepared to honor all of the hard work that she has put in to help him through the years.

"I talk to her every day," he said. "It's kind of my gift to her, just to go out there and have a good game and hopefully get the win. I appreciate everything she's done for my life. She's very sacrificial and I wouldn't be where I'm at today without her."

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Pomeranz was strong, though not overly effective in his last outing against Tampa Bay on April 16. In that start, at Fenway, the southpaw lasted just 4 1/3 innings after allowing five runs on five hits and two walks. However, he did register a season best 10 strikeouts to mark the second time he eclipsed double-digit strikeouts in a Red Sox uniform.

• When Craig Kimbrel appears at Fenway Park, it's been lights-out for the opposition. The closer has shut the door in all 25 save opportunities at the park, holding the opposition scoreless and scattering just six hits. Kimbrel has fanned 31 of the 56 batters he's faced this season, good for a Majors-best 17.81 strikeouts per innings.\

• Rays closer Alex Colome has been near perfect in May, going 4-for-4 on save opportunities, allowing only one baserunner, on a walk, in five appearances. On Friday night, he recorded his second four-out save of the season, tying him for the most in the American League. Colome has gone 9-for-11 in save opportunities this season.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170512229846874/pomeranz-andriese-set-for-mothers-day-tilt/?game_pk=490668[/lef

Bear

Red Sox vs Rays G3
Betts RF
Pedroia 2B
Bogaerts SS
Benintendi LF
Ramirez DH
Moreland 1B
Vazquez C
Bradley Jr. CF
Marrero 3B

Pomeranz LHP.

Bill-806

Keep your EYE on the weather, may not start on time. Happy Mothers Day to all !! Go SOX.. thumb_u

Rob from Mass

If they could build a dome real quick they may get it in .Otherwise, it's in the high 40s windy rainy pretty much all day.

Rob from Mass

Chris Sale joins elite company with at least 10 strikeouts in seven straight starts.Pedro and Nolan the others.

Leesam01

Sox need to get a run in - man on 3rd, one out.

Oddly, team BA is quite good (3rd in MLB, 1st in AL), but only 15th in runs scored. I hope Farrell figures out a stable batting order, and they figure out a way to manufacture runs.

ipot

Xb ties it 1-1.  Gotta pile up more.  Pom-pom is pitching.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Rob from Mass

Sox need to get the lead as I doubt this game will be going the distance.Weather forecast is not all that promising.

Rob from Mass

Rays back up by 1.Very frustrating watching Pomeranz pitch.

ipot

Pom-pom is reliable for about 1 run for every inning pitched.  If he goes 6 inns, we need to score 7 to stay ahead.  Tough order.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

ojdidit

markj

Pom-pom is hurt. Swell. Just what we needed. Wonder how long he'll be out?

markj

ojdidit

Quote from: markj on May 14, 2017, 01:55:27 PM

his could be a plus.

Bill-806

Quote from: markj on May 14, 2017, 01:55:27 PM
  Next MAN up  ???????