GAME #36, TAMPA BAY RAYS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, May 13, 2017, 03:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

RAYS V RED SOX

SATURDAY, MAY 13, 2017, 1PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN, FOX SPORTS SUN, MLBN (OUT-OF-MARKET ONLY)

TAMPA, (18-20)......................................................................................BOSTON, (18-17)

TAMPA:

BLAKE SNELL, LHP, 0-3, 5.96K, 29K

Snell continued to struggle with his control on Monday against the Royals
when he allowed four runs on ten hits and a walk while striking out two in five
innings.  In six consecutive starts, he has pitched five or fewer innings.

BOSTON:

CHRIS SALE, LHP, 3-2, 1.92ERA, 73K

The lefty gave up a season-high four runs to the Twins last time our, but
still struck out ten and got the win.  Sale has double-digit strikeouts in his
last six starts and is two from tying Major League record that he shares with
Pedro Martinez.

Rays, Red Sox embrace unexpected day play

Craig Forde

With heavy rains expected in the Boston area beginning Saturday evening, the clubs decided the best bet to get Saturday's game in was to bump it up to a 1:05 p.m. ET start time.

Boston ace Chris Sale, one of the game's swiftest workers on the hill, will look to improve his record to 3-0 in May.

The Sox southpaw, who has held opponents to a .149 batting average in two May starts, is 2-1 with a 2.20 ERA in four day starts this season.

For Rays starter Blake Snell, making his second career start at Fenway Park, the earlier start time leaves less time to dwell on things, which he hopes will help him extend past the fifth inning, something he has been unable to accomplish in his last six starts.

"I'm happy that [the game is] earlier, to be honest, so I don't have to think about it too long. Just show up, get ready and get going," Snell said.

With a 3.96 ERA, Snell, who made his first start at Fenway on April 17th, has the highest mark among Rays starters. Despite his early struggles, the 24-year-old southpaw feels he's moving in a positive direction.

"I definitely believe I'm getting better and better, so I definitely think one game will get me over the hump, maybe," he said. "I'm happy with not giving up. Just continue to fight and get better."

Snell knows he will need to be at his best Saturday when he faces off against Sale, who has dominated in his debut season with Boston, and leads the Majors with 73 strikeouts in 51 2/3 innings.

"It's going to be fun. I know I've got to be on top of my game. I know he's going to be on top of his," Snell said. "I'm looking forward to it. I'm excited to give it my all, and go after it. I like how aggressive he is, how in the zone he is."

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Sale is looking to make it seven consecutive starts with 10 or more strikeouts. If he is able to reach double-digits Saturday, he will join Pedro Martinez, Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson as the only pitchers with seven consecutive 10-plus strikeout performances. The Major League-record streak is eight, shared by Martinez (1999) and Sale ('15).

• Red Sox manager John Farrell announced prior to Friday's game that designated hitter Hanley Ramirez (right trapezius strain) will have a full evaluation from the club's medical staff following Friday night's game. If all checks out, the Red Sox manager expects Ramirez to return to the lineup Saturday. Ramirez is 4-for-15 with three RBIs against the Rays this season.

• The Rays will look to get on the board early versus Sale, which will be no easy task, but seems to be the group's best plan of attack. Tampa Bay leads the American League with 31 first-inning runs, and have outscored their opponents 106-66 in the first five innings. They have, however, been outscored 89-55 in innings 5-9. Sale has allowed just six earned runs during the first five innings this season.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170512229803984/rays-red-sox-embrace-unexpected-day-play/?game_pk=490653

Bear

Here are the lineups:

RED SOX (18-17)

BETTS, RF
PEDROIA, 2B
BOGAERTS, SS
BENINTENDI, LF
YOUNG, DH
MORELAND, 1B
LEON, C
MARRERO, 3B
BRADLEY, CF

Bill-806

MEMO to  the  G M  Dave D. .......  Get a 3rd baseman up there "NOW, GRASSHOPPER" !!!

Bear

With Sale pitching, we just need one run....it's a possibility.....and yes we could win today.

Bill-806

Quote from: Bear on May 13, 2017, 08:08:10 AM
With Sale pitching, we just need one run....it's a possibility.....and yes we could win today.
As DAD would say, "SON, Sale & ONE then pray for RAIN" !!!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bill-806 on May 13, 2017, 08:18:42 AM

If we get Chris three or four runs we should win today, but first thing is to get Jackie Bradley out of that @#$%&?+ lineup.  Man, he looks like shit warmed over at the plate.  Send him down as Elk says and see if he can turn it around, but the fear is that he might go down and hit poorly there as he did in 2014.....and Prune Face cannot afford that since he has become his fair haired boy. 

Rob from Mass

I had forgotten that Sale was scheduled for tonight's game.Oh well, at least the kids that are going in my place will hopefully see Sale and the Sox get a W.

longgame

Quote from: Bill-806 on May 13, 2017, 08:18:42 AM

Porcello and Sale and run like "hey-ell"!

longgame

Quote from: Rob from Mass on May 13, 2017, 11:36:55 AM
I had forgotten that Sale was scheduled for tonight's game.Oh well, at least the kids that are going in my place will hopefully see Sale and the Sox get a W.

I hope so, very nice of you Rob! 

Good thing a lefty is going so Young is the right choice at DH for the day and give Hanley another day off.

Rob from Mass

1-0 Rays thanks to a Morrison dinger.    Rays score another run and it will be tough for this weak hitting team to come back. Maybe the Rays will anther defensive lapse and we take advantage of it.

Rob from Mass

7Ks thru 3 for Sale .The guy deserves some damn runs.

Rob from Mass

Mookie with a bomb drives in Leon who walked.Mookie raking ever since JF put him in the leadoff spot.

Rob from Mass

markj

markj

Mookie with a double to drive in another run.