GAME #24, CHICAGO CUBS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, April 30, 2017, 12:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill-806

longgame

When they loaded the bases in the 8th, I though this is it, do or die right here.  If they couldn't win that game at that point, it was going to be a huge letdown.  So they pulled it off.  It has to be a good lift for the team.  But they can't go innings on end without any hits, not to mention the inning ending DPs which have become a staple of this team.

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on May 01, 2017, 07:59:55 AM
When they loaded the bases in the 8th, I though this is it, do or die right here.  If they couldn't win that game at that point, it was going to be a huge letdown.  So they pulled it off.  It has to be a good lift for the team.  But they can't go innings on end without any hits, not to mention the inning ending DPs which have become a staple of this team.

For me the most significant factor in yesterday's win, was the Sox were lifting the ball even though they didn't have that many hits.  I only saw one or two cases of batters rolling over the ball and hitting weak grounders to their pull side.  The only really noticeable one was the weak ground that Moreland hit which the Cubs screwed up.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on May 01, 2017, 08:09:11 AM

For me the most significant factor in yesterday's win, was the Sox were lifting the ball even though they didn't have that many hits.  I only saw one or two cases of batters rolling over the ball and hitting win grounders to their pull side.  The only really noticeable one was the weak ground that Moreland hit which the Cubs screwed up.

That comment about rolling over the ball on their swing alerted me last night----and I saw Moreland doing it.  The guy can go the opposite way and did the first dozen games so why does he and the rest of the crew get so damn pull happy?  Yes, we won the series against the defending WS Champions and at first  glance that sounds good.  In reality it is not.  T he team is still in the doldrums and if it wasn't for Marco's all out hustle ( he did that well just as long as he doesn't come to the plate with men on the bases), and the Cubs' pratfalls defensively, who knows how this game would have turned out.  The team still isn't hitting worth a damn and they look blase and out of sorts at the plate.  If this win doesn't stir them up, and I have doubts that it will, we might be saying I told you so tomorrow.....all in unison.  We still have plenty of problems and since Vazquerz went hitless last night we might see Leon back in the lineup.  With him and Bradley, ohy!!!!!!  I hope some of the guys start hitting again.  Hanley's two bombs the last two games might be a sign of hope.

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on May 01, 2017, 09:17:16 AM

For me the most significant factor in yesterday's win, was the Sox were lifting the ball even though they didn't have that many hits.  I only saw one or two cases of batters rolling over the ball and hitting win grounders to their pull side.  The only really noticeable one was the weak ground that Moreland hit which the Cubs screwed up.

That comment about rolling over the ball on their swing alerted me last night----and I saw Moreland doing it.  The guy can go the opposite way and did the first dozen games so why does he and the rest of the crew get so damn pull happy?  Yes, we won the series against the defending WS Champions and at first  glance that sounds good.  In reality it is not.  T he team is still in the doldrums and if it wasn't for Marco's all out hustle ( he did that well just as long as he doesn't come to the plate with men on the bases), and the Cubs' pratfalls defensively, who knows how this game would have turned out.  The team still isn't hitting worth a damn and they look blase and out of sorts at the plate.  If this win doesn't stir them up, and I have doubts that it will, we might be saying I told you so tomorrow.....all in unison.  We still have plenty of problems and since Vazquerz went hitless last night we might see Leon back in the lineup.  With him and Bradley, ohy!!!!!!  I hope some of the guys start hitting again.  Hanley's two bombs the last two games might be a sign of hope.
"Little Marco" is looking more comfortable, maybe  J F has seen something that I didn't !!

elktonnick

Over the past several games Marco has made plays both on the field and at the plate that Sandoval never would have made.  I hope that he just proves himself to be the better player over the next week or two so we have an alternative to Sandoval who still hasn't shown me why the Sox signed him in the first place.

elktonnick

Moreland is driving me crazy when they give him the entire left side and he never even attempts to push it to the left.

longgame

I don't expect Hernandez is the long term answer there - you want some pop out of a corner IF - but he's holding down the job for now.  I did notice that JBJ had a classic at bat of his swinging at two out of the zone and then letting one go right down the middle - although in fairness that was a very wide strike zone last night. 

Good point about rolling over the ball that you mentioned the other day elk, more assertive swings helps that as well.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Bill-806 on May 01, 2017, 09:55:05 AM

"Little Marco" is looking more comfortable, maybe  J F has seen something that I didn't !!

Now that your blinders are off maybe you will see he is not as worthless as you think .Not a starter by any means but a very good option to have on the bench.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on May 01, 2017, 12:16:28 PM

Now that your blinders are off maybe you will see he is not as worthless as you think .Not a starter by any means but a very good option to have on the bench.
  Yes, my eye sight is not what it used to be.... Howevaa, "Little Marco" is no Brock Holt !!

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Bill-806 on May 01, 2017, 01:34:45 PM

Yes, my eye sight is not what it used to be.... Howevaa, "Little Marco" is no Brock Holt !!

Holt was just another average player in 2016 in case you forgot his .254 BA was not very good.Making Holt into a special player is a little overboard.The guy is not a savior and Hernadez can fill Holt little shoes very well.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on May 01, 2017, 02:13:29 PM
Quote from: Bill-806 on May 01, 2017, 01:34:45 PM

Holt was just another average player in 2016 in case you forgot his .254 BA was not very good.Making Holt into a special player is a little overboard.The guy is not a savior and Hernadez can fill Holt little shoes very well.
Possible, only time will say... June 15th should be enough time to speak volumes !!

SeaBeachFred

I'm going to take it that you were referring to me about the blinders.  I have said I would prefer Marco to Sandoval any day, but you have to take your blinders off Rob and realize the Hernandez is miserable trying to hit with men on base.  He either gets very nervous under those circumstances or may just be  choker in those situations.  Remember how pathetic Bogaerts was in those situations back in 2014, it is possible he can overcome it as X has done.  Then, again, we need a person over there with a lot more power than Marco can provide.  Tell you what, let's see how he does if he gets up at the plate tonight with men on base.  Keep your fingers crossed.

ojdidit

E-Rod has looked good in the early going.  Downside is a 5.4 BB/9. Lowers that to 3.0-3.5 he'll be solid. Hernandez has looked solid with the bat.  The surprise is .333 (5/15) against lefties. Kid will hit but don't expect much power. Good doubles hitter. Glove work is avarage at third. Vaz hits .250 he'll be a huge plus to this team.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on May 01, 2017, 03:15:58 PM
Quote from: ojdidit on May 01, 2017, 03:37:29 PM
E-Rod has looked good in the early going.  Downside is a 5.4 BB/9. Lowers that to 3.0-3.5 he'll be solid. Hernandez has looked solid with the bat.  The surprise is .333 (5/15) against lefties. Kid will hit but don't expect much power. Good doubles hitter. Glove work is avarage at third. Vaz hits .250 he'll be a huge plus to this team.

I'm going to take it that you were referring to me about the blinders.  I have said I would prefer Marco to Sandoval any day, but you have to take your blinders off Rob and realize the Hernandez is miserable trying to hit with men on base.  He either gets very nervous under those circumstances or may just be  choker in those situations.  Remember how pathetic Bogaerts was in those situations back in 2014, it is possible he can overcome it as X has done.  Then, again, we need a person over there with a lot more power than Marco can provide.  Tell you what, let's see how he does if he gets up at the plate tonight with men on base.  Keep your fingers

Not you.........Bill