Brooks Robinson

Started by markj, September 26, 2023, 06:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Greatest defensive third baseman in history.  Of course, I have to put Mike Shmidt at the top of the pantheon of great third basemen since he had tremendous power and was also a great fielder, though not as great as Brooks.

longgame

When I was a kid and you thought of 3B you thought of Brooks. I played 3B when I was a kid (lack of arm moved me to second when I got older!) and loved this guy.

Funny story, exactly one year ago I was camping in the Smokies and got to talking with a guy at the next site over.  His godfather was Brooks Robinson and his son was named Brooks. 

He's joining the greatest All Star Team ever now.

Sea Dog 23

The bidding for Yamamoto is about done.  Early indications are the Yankees and Dodgers both offered $340mil, Sox $350 mil, and Mets at $355 mil.  A fall back for Sox is Japanese lefty Imanaga.  From Jon Morosi,

Shōta Imanaga, winning pitcher in the WBC gold medal game, is drawing broad interest from
@MLB
clubs, including the Dodgers, Mets, Red Sox, and Cubs.

Some in the industry believe he could receive an AAV in the $20 million range.

Seth Lugo a righty pitcher who the Sox had some interest in,  signed with the Royals for 3/$45 mil.

Sea Dog 23

There's a twitter out (Marino Pepen) that the Sox offered Yamamoto $300 mil + incentives and MAYBE + opt outs.  Add an 18 % posting fee.  San Fran is in there too Confirmed by Bowden.

Sea Dog 23

Dan Clark tweets that four teams are bidding today, over $300 mil at 9-10 year contracts.  It is undoubtedly a sellers market this year.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 16, 2023, 02:19:00 PM
There's a twitter out (Marino Pepen) that the Sox offered Yamamoto $300 mil + incentives and MAYBE + opt outs.  Add an 18 % posting fee.  San Fran is in there too Confirmed by Bowden.

At the risk of being fooled again by those guys in the Red Sox front office, I going to go with a leap of faith and believe that this is not only on the level but that we are in this for a rare victory in the free agent market.  I don't have to  tell anyone out there that this young pi tcher with loads of talent could be just the guy we need to get us back into the living in the tough AL East.  Win this battle Breslow and make the Red Sox fans believe we're on our way back.

Sea Dog 23

Well Yamamoto has had a meeting with each of the finalists, assuming Sox, Yanks, Giants, Mets.  I think it was Bowden who reported Yama on Sunday requested himself one more meeting with the Yanks.  Does that mean he wants to show the Yanks Boston's final bid?  Things are looking shady.  Beginning to think he wants NY like Ohtani wanted LA.  Endorsements, celebrities, yada, yada.

Like my mom used to say, "there are more fish in the sea."

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 18, 2023, 05:47:58 AM
Well Yamamoto has had a meeting with each of the finalists, assuming Sox, Yanks, Giants, Mets.  I think it was Bowden who reported Yama on Sunday requested himself one more meeting with the Yanks.  Does that mean he wants to show the Yanks Boston's final bid?  Things are looking shady.  Beginning to think he wants NY like Ohtani wanted LA.  Endorsements, celebrities, yada, yada.

Like my mom used to say, "there are more fish in the sea."

But the fish are running out Sea Dog and with it our chances of getting two pi tchers worth a damn in this off season unless we unload three or four prospects  that we will need badly in a year or two.  Where I was p retty upbeat yesterday today I  think this is all of a ruse.  Knowing how cheap and tawdry John Henry has gotten I'm beginning to think that his aim was to carry this charade out for Yamamoto and then giving us the old routine that "he made his best offer and couldn't go higher".  Then what is left of the decent pitchers on the FA market are all gone and  we wind up with the leftovers----sounds of 2023, right?  Again, I hope I am wrong but we should be p roactive and believing we will not get Yamamoto and sign a couple of the pi tchers left on the market, then if we do strike it rich with Yamamoto, well, Henry has plenty of money to get the job done if he is willing to finally spend some after five years of cheapness.  I even believe he was kicking and screaming into signing Devers last winter after he and his underlings were hissed, booed and literally driven off the platform in that Red Sox fans gathering.  Something is stinking again and once again we may all be taken for another one way ride into baseball hell.

Sea Dog 23

Fred, there seem to be a lot of long faces in Sox Nation tonight.  The national media are not giving the Sox much of a chance in this gold rush for the Yammy man.  He is creating his own Ohtani whirlwind tour and driving up the bids.  A couple scribes had his deal at 12 - 13 years. 

I just hope that young Breslow is not so wet behind the ears that he forgot to put in place an orderly Plan B for Montgomery or Snell.  We desperately need to finish out December with at least one top of rotation guy.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 18, 2023, 05:45:53 PM
Fred, there seem to be a lot of long faces in Sox Nation tonight.  The national media are not giving the Sox much of a chance in this gold rush for the Yammy man.  He is creating his own Ohtani whirlwind tour and driving up the bids.  A couple scribes had his deal at 12 - 13 years. 

I just hope that young Breslow is not so wet behind the ears that he forgot to put in place an orderly Plan B for Montgomery or Snell.  We desperately need to finish out December with at least one top of rotation guy.

Go for Snell AND Montgomery and end this one way romance with Yamamoto.  Pruney never met with him as the Mets owner did and that tells me Henry really isn't interested into getting into a bidding war with the Mets and Dodger, Giants or Blue Jays.  He wants to hold onto his money, the cheap bastard.   Breslow needs to stand up and start acting like a chief of Baseball Operations instead of a human pumpkin as he has so far.  Does he have power to make these moves which a BO Director is supposed to have or is he simply and empty suit who is nothing more than an errand boy?  Time is running out Bres and so is your goodwill with the fans.  Get your ass in gear and start dealing.

Sea Dog 23

I guess this board has gone total Sayonara.  The Yama guy has cast his lot with the crappy Dodgers.

If there are any passersby, I enjoyed your company over the years.  Happy trails.

longgame

The Dodgers are making a joke of MLB.

Meanwhile I guess the Sox have a different idea of what “full throttle” means than the rest of us.

Merry Christmas gang.

elktonnick

For what it's worth Yamamoto was always going to sign with the Dodgers especially once they signed Otahani.  The Yankees offered more money.
It is clear one can not trust any reports about the Red Sox signing anyone until after it happens.