GAME #21, SUNDAY, APRIL 22, 2018, RED SOX AT OAKLAND A'S

Started by Bear, April 22, 2018, 03:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

I believe Betts and Hanley had a scheduled day off,
b/c Cora wanted them to have a two day rest period.
That's all I can think of.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Rob from Mass on April 22, 2018, 12:51:15 PM
No Mookie or Hanley. Both played so much in the last 5 days that I guess they are exhausted since they need 2 days rest counting Mondays off day.

I see what you mean Rob and while some may think I am starting to panic, let me be clear.  I am not panicking but I am getting a tad nervous.  We have looked dead at the plate the past two games and I could have said three because it took two big homers to keep us from getting swept.  We need to play our be best nine hitters and rest them only occasionally or we may risk losing all the ground we've gained so far.  And for what it's worth Lin can't hit Major League pitching for more than a couple of games before he gets badly exposed, and Leon should be given his walking papers.  What hurts more is that starting tomorrow the Yankees play their patsies for three games and as most knowledgeable fans know when the Twins see a Yankee uniform they literally shit in their pants.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 22, 2018, 04:43:39 PM
When everybody in the lineup was hitting, the pressure on individual batters was off.  Now with most everybody hitless this weekend, the pressure is on individuals to make a hit.

When this happens Sea Dog some one or two or three have to step up and take command.  The last two games we have looked a lot like the team last year, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who is questioning  Cora's strange lineups.  And please don't say that's the way it was done in Houston last year.  Check it out and see how many times Correa and Altuve were given that many days off.   They weren't and neither were Springer or Bregman either.or  some of the others.  Cora must stop this.  We cannot afford to lose too much more ground.  This hiccup has to be stopped NOW!!!!!!!!

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: Bear on April 22, 2018, 08:26:38 PM

Only possible thing I can think of, and it's really a stretch is that both Betts and Hanley had recently returned from slight injuries (foot and hand), and AC or a doc suggested an extra day off.  Again, a real stretch. 

Bill-806

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 23, 2018, 07:05:15 AM
Quote from: Bear on April 22, 2018, 08:26:38 PM

Only possible thing I can think of, and it's really a stretch is that both Betts and Hanley had recently returned from slight injuries (foot and hand), and AC or a doc suggested an extra day off.  Again, a real stretch.
I think to much is being made of this.... Cora has the players where he can use all of them, as a couple of them will be gone (trade bait) when Bogey & Pedy comes back..... The SOX are slumping a bit because they are one & all trying to go deep on every pitch, other teams are making adjustments against our aggressiveness, we have to make them too .... iono

Rob from Mass

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on April 22, 2018, 09:44:38 PM
Quote from: Rob from Mass on April 22, 2018, 12:51:15 PM
No Mookie or Hanley. Both played so much in the last 5 days that I guess they are exhausted since they need 2 days rest counting Mondays off day.

I see what you mean Rob and while some may think I am starting to panic, let me be clear.  I am not panicking but I am getting a tad nervous.  We have looked dead at the plate the past two games and I could have said three because it took two big homers to keep us from getting swept.  We need to play our be best nine hitters and rest them only occasionally or we may risk losing all the ground we've gained so far.  And for what it's worth Lin can't hit Major League pitching for more than a couple of games before he gets badly exposed, and Leon should be given his walking papers.  What hurts more is that starting tomorrow the Yankees play their patsies for three games and as most knowledgeable fans know when the Twins see a Yankee uniform they literally shit in their pants.

Fred the way that was posted it sounded like I wanted them not to play.Clarification is needed.I was referring to Tinkerbell aka Alex Cora. This sitting  1/3 rd o a teams roster was totally uncalled for.Possibly in the dog days of summer, I could see it. But you would be hard-pressed to find another manager that would do that with a travel day the next day.  Yeah, there's no panic yet but the rookie manager needs to think about what he is doing. The other coaches need to step their game up and voice their opinion.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on April 22, 2018, 09:52:09 PM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 22, 2018, 04:43:39 PM
When everybody in the lineup was hitting, the pressure on individual batters was off.  Now with most everybody hitless this weekend, the pressure is on individuals to make a hit.

When this happens Sea Dog some one or two or three have to step up and take command.  The last two games we have looked a lot like the team last year, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who is questioning  Cora's strange lineups.  And please don't say that's the way it was done in Houston last year.  Check it out and see how many times Correa and Altuve were given that many days off.   They weren't and neither were Springer or Bregman either.or  some of the others.  Cora must stop this.  We cannot afford to lose too much more ground.  This hiccup has to be stopped NOW!!!!!!!!

They get no-hit the night before and what happens the rookie manager SITS 3 VERY GOOD AND PRODUCTIVE PLAYERS.
No need for those of us that follow day in and day baseball to see if the Stros gave their players days off like this.We know what that answer is.
And where was the move to pinch hit with MOOKIE or HANLEY in the ninth? Oh, wait a second.Cora didn`t want to disrupt their rest must have been the logic.

longgame

Agree no reason to panic, but this was pretty straightforward stuff.  Play the guys who can hit.  I can only imagine what Cal Ripken thinks of this rest day crap. 

Rob from Mass

Terry Cushman

@cushmanMLB
Following Following @cushmanMLB
More
Red Sox manager Alex Cora is thinking about sitting so many players against the Blue Jays tomorrow night...

That he plans on putting HIMSELF in the lineup....

8:17 AM - 23 Apr

Bear

No need to keep any players out tomorrow nite.
And, the part I resent is that both he and Farrell
pulled good players at the same time.
At least if you rest two, take a big hitter and one
that is mediocre.
With Happ pitching, we need a full force of good
players, as Happ is a LHP.

Bill-806

You do know that the SOX are 17 & 4 ??? As DAD would say, "SON, that's a pretty fair month of APRIL, what's that, APRIL is not over yet" ??? iono rofl rofl

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Bear on April 23, 2018, 08:20:02 AM
that is mediocre.

Yeah, Bear most here know that.Let's hope Cora does or one of his coaches need to monitor his goofy lineups.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on April 23, 2018, 08:35:23 AM
that is mediocre.

Yeah, Bear most here know that.Let's hope Cora does or one of his coaches need to monitor his goofy lineups.
DAD & Bill-806 reserve the right to switch sides if the situation calls for it..... PERHAPS if we fall out of 1st place otherwise, we will see you in the POST season !! iono rofl rofl

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Bill-806 on April 23, 2018, 11:08:57 AM

that is mediocre.

DAD & Bill-806 reserve the right to switch sides if the situation calls for it..... PERHAPS if we fall out of 1st place otherwise, we will see you in the POST season !! iono rofl rofl

Bill relax .We are  talking about now not 5 months from now. You simply have a problem understanding  when you are in the minority. We all talk about whats going on in today's Sox world .Each day is a different animal.Criticsm  of sports is part of what this site is all about.Nothing wrong with passionate fans voicing opinion .Join us and enjoy voicing today's subject not changing the topic and going to the PS.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on April 23, 2018, 12:04:02 PM
Quote from: Bill-806 on April 23, 2018, 11:08:57 AM

that is mediocre.

Bill relax .We are  talking about now not 5 months from now. You simply have a problem understanding  when you are in the minority. We all talk about whats going on in today's Sox world .Each day is a different animal.Criticsm  of sports is part of what this site is all about.Nothing wrong with passionate fans voicing opinion .Join us and enjoy voicing today's subject not changing the topic and going to the PS.
P S ?? What does that mean??? I have no problem "questioning" the Manager & G M with my visions & opinions...  Last year, I complained a lot about J F and the lousy months of April & May and was told many times here that the season was still young with many more games to go as they won 93 and limped in to post season on "fumes & injuries". That said, I find Cora at 17 & 4 very refreshing with all hands on deck and making contributions.... I have also said that this will be an exciting season with the A L East, Yank$, Toronto and all the players that changed addresses over the winter. Just look at what we did to the Angels & then watch the A's no hit us and shut us down yesterday??? I surely will not agree with everyone and don't expect everyone to agree with me......BUT, I am very excited with the start and the HISTORY made so far......