7. Brett Gardner (L) CF
8. Austin Romine (R) C
9. Mike Tauchman (L) LF

Murph

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: Murph on April 16, 2019, 11:56:16 AM
Red Sox reportedly DFA Blake Swihart

ANY information?
Just saw that on my phone from Bleacher Report with no explanation.
Are they bringing Sandy Leon back?

Bill-806

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on April 16, 2019, 12:04:57 PM

ANY information?
WOW  !!! Just thinking YESTERDAY that Blake is a man without a country ??? Meaning, not sure how good of a game catcher he is ??  I am all for a SHAKE up as new blood breathes new ENERGY !!! thumb_u iono iono

SeaBeachFred

ANY information?

Elk called this a week ago and Swihart helped grease his own skids with a series of at-bats where he looked like crap warmed over. Bu to bring Leon back when Bradley looks like shit at the plate and Mookie is having the beginning of what could be a very down year, you have to know that Sonny is going to be an albatross to our offense, such as it is right now.  Hell, though, the way the team is hitting he might just fit in brilliantly.  Warning, though.  Don't be surprised if Blake goes to another team and starts raking.  I've always thought the team did not think much of him, but some of the fault lies with him since he hasn't done much lately.  Of course, it all right for Bradley and Vazquez to suck but not Blake.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bill-806 on April 16, 2019, 12:28:36 PM

ANY information?
WOW  !!! Just thinking YESTERDAY that Blake is a man without a country ??? Meaning, not sure how good of a game catcher he is ??  I am all for a SHAKE up as new blood breathes new ENERGY !!! thumb_u iono iono

I think we should concentrate on the game tonight guys and gals.  We're invading Yankee Stadium with a paper mache offense, a miserable bullpen, a starting rotation that is only now starting to look like something other than a batting practice ensemble, and a manager who right now is so out to lunch he wouldn't know what to do if they put food in front of him.  This short five game road trip could actually kill off our season if we don't win three of those games because if we don't we'll spend the rest of the season reminiscing about 2018 or tearing the team down with every missive.

Murph

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on April 16, 2019, 12:34:38 PM
Quote from: Bill-806 on April 16, 2019, 12:28:36 PM

ANY information?

I think we should concentrate on the game tonight guys and gals.  We're invading Yankee Stadium with a paper mache offense, a miserable bullpen, a starting rotation that is only now starting to look like something other than a batting practice ensemble, and a manager who right now is so out to lunch he wouldn't know what to do if they put food in front of him.  This short five game road trip could actually kill off our season if we don't win three of those games because if we don't we'll spend the rest of the season reminiscing about 2018 or tearing the team down with every missive.

I can see the bats coming back but thinking that the pitching will be close to 2018 is like looking through rose-colored glasses.

markj

I guess they heard you, Fred. Mookie's back at lead off.

longgame

Quote from: markj on April 16, 2019, 01:49:25 PM

Two interesting moves.  What's next, sign Kimbrel?  But for whatever reason Mookie likes batting leadoff, even if it really doesn't matter after the first inning.  It's a little telling to me that Pedey is playing today as they could have had him at 2B and Nunez at 3B or him at DH and Pearce at 1B, to make the lineup even more righty-heavy.

I'm worried about Sale of course and also if the Sox will be able to manage more than a hit or two against Paxton.  I'll be driving to SC for meetings in the morning so I'll listen to this one in the car.

Murph

Swihart's 0-14 and 6 ks in last 6 games probably led to the decision.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: Murph on April 16, 2019, 03:01:49 PM

In the final game against Dbacks, Swihart was hit three times in the cherries while catching, if I counted right.  That might affect your swing as well as asking yourself 'do I really want to do this for a living?'  iono

Bear

SeaBeachFred

It did, but I will lay odds that unlike Leon who was NOT claimed by any team, Swihart will be.   I think this move was planned all the time and just needed to have BLake get off into a slump to bring Leon back.  Reminds me of what they did with Travis Shaw after the 2016 season when Henry was determined to get Sandoval another chance at third base because of his contract.  The move was an unmitigated disaster as Shaw went on a plus 30 homer and plus over 100 RBI's years for the Brewers while Henry and Co finally grew a brain and  released the fat man who hasn't done much with his old Giants team either.  In that Shaw trade we got the biggest POS on our team, that Thornturd  guy.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 16, 2019, 03:19:06 PM

In the final game against Dbacks, Swihart was hit three times in the cherries while catching, if I counted right.  That might affect your swing as well as asking yourself 'do I really want to do this for a living?'  iono

Swihart was signed by the Red Sox as a third baseman and decided they could make him a catcher.  He is still young enough to salvage his season.  It might have been a bad move, and it will be even worse now if he goes somewhere and starts raking, which I think is possible.  And what happens if the rotation still is goofing badly; what then?  All we have then is a catcher who didn't help after all and a hitter who can't hit the broadside of his own ass.  I hope if works the other way around.  It better for us.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on April 16, 2019, 01:49:25 PM
Markj, I went bonkers last November when I read that Cora was NOT letting well enough along and was trying to fix something that wasn't close to being broken but was humming along fantastically. Mookie Betts won the batting championship last season hitting 346 and leading in numerous other offensive categories.  Plus Benintendi proved to be a good No. 2 hitter.  It was a stupid move and for the first time we saw Cora acting like was the smartest man in the room and obviously that this was a blunder.  I just hope that they keep Mookie there and let well enough alone.