GAME #13, THURSDAY, APRIL 11, 2019, BLUE JAYS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, April 11, 2019, 01:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schloicka

Bottom 9 coming up. Need 1 to tie. 2 to win. Let's go Sox. Top of order coming up.

Schloicka

Sox score 2 to win the game in the bottom of the 9th. Walden with the win. On to Friday.

markj

Very cool. Giving up 5 runs is a bad sign for Eovaldi, but at least the offense came around. It seems most of our woes this season are due to poor prep for the starters.

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on April 11, 2019, 08:58:56 PM
SOX had finally tied the game on a Mitch Moreland solo shot.
AND the next frame, the bullpen gave it back.
Jays 6 - Sox 5

ALL of the Jays runs have been scored by home runs.

WHAT has happened to this team???????

CRAP!

GLAD to eat crow.
They found a way to come back and WIN the game
in the bottom of the 9th inning.
Sox 7 - Jays 6

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on April 11, 2019, 06:37:36 PM
Xander K's and Raffy hits a weak grounder. Opportunity wasted.

Xander up with the bag full????  What can you expect.  But he did get a single in the sixth inning or so with no one on base.  Well I won't complain because we managed to eek this one out.  We need now to go on a streak.

Sea Dog 23

A caveat to games last two weeks.  The Sox would be 0-13 this year --- probably, without the services of Moreland.  A $225 mil team led by a 6.5m player.  Some lessons as well from the budget driven Rays now on top of the ALE.

Murph

Sox jumped on the Eovaldi bandwagon and gave him 4-67 for a few great PS innings and they get the old unreliable version.
Sale will turn around but can he last at least 2-3 years? Most Sox fans wanted him at any cost and are shaking there heads now.

Bear

All that Sale needs is his catcher.  We could use Kelly.  DD did make some mistakes putting this tog. this season.
That's all I have to say.  Hopefully JH goes to the bank b/f it's too late, IF it's not already.

longgame

Well at least finally a good outcome.  Now it would be nice to actually get ahead early, not give up too many runs by the starter and have an easy win or two.  Especially with the O's coming to town.  Of course our guys will likely make Chris Davis look like Khrys Davis.  Some observations.

Eovaldi had a quality start for a Boston starter this year - 5 innings, 5 runs.  That's about as good as it gets for this bunch.

Bogaerts gets weak-kneed when there are men on base.  I know Cora would like to see him hit for more power, but I think he needs to stay back and look for base hits.  The power will come, but he needs to get the ball in play when he comes to bat with the bases loaded.

Pedroia looked like his old self last night, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets tonight off.  It would be good to see him get back in a regular spot though. 

Bradley has fallen back to his old ways.  He watches pitches over the plate, falls behind and swings at terrible pitches to K.  I don't know what it is with that guy, it's literally "hit or miss" with him.  I think his act may be wearing out.

When the Sox returned from their road trip I said they were a week or so from being MLB ready.  They're almost up on that week and have the O's in town.  Of course the Mariners, D'Backs and Blue Jays are all in rebuilding mode after dumping loads of players last year and they really took it to us.  But I am hopeful they are going to get back on track sooner rather than later.  Every team goes through slumps, except for the 2018 Red Sox.  The key for this team will be to put this in the rear view mirror and start to win 2 out of 3 again. 

Murph

The bank will be closed until the WM. They are committed to stay under thej LT.

Bill-806

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 11, 2019, 04:47:06 PM
Beni needs to get on base if he's the lead off  ---- nothing to show Tues.  JBJ mired in a slump again.
B T W ,  is it ME, or has BENI put on a FEW L B's in the OFF SEASON ????? iono iono iono iono

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on April 12, 2019, 09:55:00 AM
Well at least finally a good outcome.  Now it would be nice to actually get ahead early, not give up too many runs by the starter and have an easy win or two.  Especially with the O's coming to town.  Of course our guys will likely make Chris Davis look like Khrys Davis.  Some observations.

Eovaldi had a quality start for a Boston starter this year - 5 innings, 5 runs.  That's about as good as it gets for this bunch.

Bogaerts gets weak-kneed when there are men on base.  I know Cora would like to see him hit for more power, but I think he needs to stay back and look for base hits.  The power will come, but he needs to get the ball in play when he comes to bat with the bases loaded.

Pedroia looked like his old self last night, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets tonight off.  It would be good to see him get back in a regular spot though. 

Bradley has fallen back to his old ways.  He watches pitches over the plate, falls behind and swings at terrible pitches to K.  I don't know what it is with that guy, it's literally "hit or miss" with him.  I think his act may be wearing out.

When the Sox returned from their road trip I said they were a week or so from being MLB ready.  They're almost up on that week and have the O's in town.  Of course the Mariners, D'Backs and Blue Jays are all in rebuilding mode after dumping loads of players last year and they really took it to us.  But I am hopeful they are going to get back on track sooner rather than later.  Every team goes through slumps, except for the 2018 Red Sox.  The key for this team will be to put this in the rear view mirror and start to win 2 out of 3 again.

In full agreement with what you had to say Ted.  Starting off, our pitchers still cannot throw a real good game because they are still in late ST mode.  Their lack of work in March has come back and bitten us in our tushes and for that Cora bears full responsibility.  It was a bad mistake he made and should admit and tell himself it will never happen again.

About time someone besides me finally admits what I have known since 2014---Bogaerts is total crap with men on base.  He starts moving around the batters box and acts like he wishes he was some place else.  With no runners on he is a terror.  I wonder why the front office didn't see this before they gave him that big extension.  Bogey knew it and that is why he wanted a new pact.  He might have known that other teams had him pegged, and if he doesn't learn how to fess up in the clutch he is going to give RedSox fans heartache after heartache over the next few seasons because of his constant choking.

Pedroia might be getting some time off here and there but soon it should be mostly there......It is obvious that we need him at second base, for his hit ting, fielding, leadership and experience.  By May I want him in there full time......we need him in there full time.

As for Bradley, he is what he is ........a terrible flawed hitter who has his streaks but way too many more cold spells, and while in my opinion we made a bad mistake in resigning Bogaerts, the team must NOT extend him.  He should be allowed to leave and most likely become a 4th outfielder for some NL team.  HE IS NEVER EVER GOING TO BE A SOLID HITTER FOR US.  Take that one to any bank you want.

Our starter must become more effective and soon, and as for the catching spot I still think Cora should put Swihart in the lineup and give him a couple of weeks to show what he can do.  One game in and two games out will only make the guy feel he is walking on egg shells. Vazquez can't hit and his defense is way way overrated.  He would be a second catcher on most teams.