JD Martinez Swing

Started by elktonnick, August 18, 2022, 06:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

JD Martinez is and perhaps always has been a one dimensional player.  All he cares about now is his swing mechanics.  His swing has become so robotic it has been reduced to one speed one plane and one arc.  At the plate he looks more like a pro golfer on the tee about to drive a golf ball than a baseball play

Last night it became so obvious that every swing was in the same plane and same arc regardless of where the ball was thrown. His Robbie the Robot swing did finally hit the ball.  It was not that he hit the ball but more that the ball hit the bat because the pitcher clearly made the mistake of throwing the ball to the one spot, the same spot on every swing, where JD's swing plane happened to cross the plate.

Sea Dog 23

With JD aging, warts and all, imo he is still an asset on the team ad a mentor, helping other batters with their swing analysis, at least as much as Ive read, which could have been parsed by the writer. I

In a similar vein, Raffy looks up to Cora as a mentor, Raffy being limited in English they say.  Cora's managership chances probably are 50/50 for next year.  That might have a big impact on Raffy wanting to extend with Boston.

longgame

Raffy's English is like my Spanish - he can understand it, he can speak it if he has to, but he's a lot more comfortable in his native language.  His interviews are pretty funny - he listens the question in English, answers in Spanish and the translator only translates his answer (badly sometimes IMHO). 

I don't get it with JD but you nailed it - he gets that long swing and can't connect with any sorts of power. 

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on August 18, 2022, 07:42:42 AM
Raffy's English is like my Spanish - he can understand it, he can speak it if he has to, but he's a lot more comfortable in his native language.  His interviews are pretty funny - he listens the question in English, answers in Spanish and the translator only translates his answer (badly sometimes IMHO). 

I don't get it with JD but you nailed it - he gets that long swing and can't connect with any sorts of power.

My Spanish is pretty good. I agree that translator tends to "embellish" Raffy's answers.  We must remember Devers speaks heavily accented Dominican Spanish which is very similar to the Spanish in rural Andalusia Spain. 

MongoLikeSox

JD's going through that mid-30's thing that they all go through or retire because of. When he was a bit younger, that swing was enough to get those home runs. It started to become warning track power a few years ago and got worse and worse. Remember that All-Star game in Minn a few years ago? He squared one up that night and it went to the LF track. That was the first I noticed it other than waiting for the weather to change his first couple years in Boston on the Right-Center drives.

That approach made his career after being released. Who knows, it might be what ends it.

longgame

Home runs since August 10th:

Albert Pujols: 6
Phillies: 5
Rangers: 5
Red Sox: 3

MongoLikeSox

I think he got another today, too. They were talking about it earlier tonight. He insists he's still retiring.  thumb_u

MongoLikeSox

How about some hypothetical fun?

We all know JD Martinez isn't getting the big bucks after this season.

#1: If he ends up with a .270 BA with 14HRs, is there a price that you would pay to bring him back and take a chance on him getting over his age 3x season?
#2: Is there a hitting streak big enough that would make the Red Sox give him a Qualifying Offer?
#3: Do you think this is his final season in the sun?

elktonnick

Given all their holes giving JD a qo would not be on my radar.  Some team may offer him a one of two year deal for a max of 14 to 15 m per year,  though .

longgame

I can't imagine JD is toast, but it sure seems like he needs some new environs.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 29, 2022, 06:07:39 AM
How about some hypothetical fun?

We all know JD Martinez isn't getting the big bucks after this season.

#1: If he ends up with a .270 BA with 14HRs, is there a price that you would pay to bring him back and take a chance on him getting over his age 3x season?
#2: Is there a hitting streak big enough that would make the Red Sox give him a Qualifying Offer?
#3: Do you think this is his final season in the sun?

JD was brutal in 2020 in that short season but he came back strong in 2021.  I wouldn't be so quick to dump the guy when we have so much other trash on the team.  Clear those decks and do itr before the end of this worthless and pathetic season.  Don't DFA; release these shits and bring up some prospects and let's take a look at them.  Then after the season we can decide what to do with JDM.