GAME #84, SUNDAY, JUNE 30, 2019, NEW YORK YANKEES @ BOSTON RED SOX (LONDON)

Started by markj, June 30, 2019, 08:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 30, 2019, 12:39:38 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on June 30, 2019, 12:23:36 PM
Those  leadoff walks are a direct product of the Sox's screwed up approach towards pitching.  They get 2 strikes on batters then nibble, get to 3-2 and then the batters knows what is coming and the roof caves in.

Could Dana LaVangie, the pitching coach, be a culprit in this debacle of a season.  We have seen our pitchers constantly get ahead of batters, the n nibble, nibble, nibble and either walk their man or get hammered because the bat ters know what's coming.  From top to bottom this team of ours sucks like a rotten egg.     I really think that if this continues intos next season Cora could and should lose his job.  His malfeasance from a cracker jack skipper to a jack off incompetent just boggles my mind.  How could a man go from one extreme to another in less than a year?  Time to maybe back up the truck.

I would most certainly blame the pitching coach.  A-Rod made a couple of good points today about some dumb choice of pitches by sox hurlers so I don't like their entire approach.  I also don't like the fact that their defensive shifting often makes no sense; for example shifting for the batter to pull and then pitching him outside.  That shift in the 7th was stupid because they weren't in a no doubles defense when they should have been. 

This manager screwed up royally in ST and has kept digging a bigger hole for the team since.

The entire pitching staff, in general with few exceptions, has lost confidence in themselves. Major changes are needed not only in personnel but also philosophy. DD et al needs to do a rethink on their approach towards pitching and the development of pitchers. This club has not developed a major league pitcher in more than a dozen years.

markj

markj

Now he sends Wright in? Where was he earlier in the game? Like before the 9-run disaster inning?

elktonnick

Another loss to the yankees, another blown save and another humiliating performance by both the bull pen and manager.

Murph

FO will be scratching there heads with a lot of work to do. Going to be a different feeling come the trading deadline.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on June 30, 2019, 12:50:25 PM
Those  leadoff walks are a direct product of the Sox's screwed up approach towards pitching.  They get 2 strikes on batters then nibble, get to 3-2 and then the batters knows what is coming and the roof caves in.

Could Dana LaVangie, the pitching coach, be a culprit in this debacle of a season.  We have seen our pitchers constantly get ahead of batters, the n nibble, nibble, nibble and either walk their man or get hammered because the bat ters know what's coming.  From top to bottom this team of ours sucks like a rotten egg.     I really think that if this continues intos next season Cora could and should lose his job.  His malfeasance from a cracker jack skipper to a jack off incompetent just boggles my mind.  How could a man go from one extreme to another in less than a year?  Time to maybe back up the truck.

Not only Cora, but does JH trust Dombrowski to do a reset with this team, given the lack of attention last off season?  A Lucchino moment may be in order.  A lot of folks think it is decision time in 2-3 weeks to fish or cut bait with the trade deadline.  DD just might stub his toe again.

I hope by "Lucchino moment" you weren't implying that we bring that total butt back and put him in charge of Baseball Ops again.  His incompetence and low balling our players sent us spinning into irrelevance in 2014-2015 and the worst thing that can happen is go bring that bum back. 

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 30, 2019, 02:27:08 PM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on June 30, 2019, 12:50:25 PM

Not only Cora, but does JH trust Dombrowski to do a reset with this team, given the lack of attention last off season?  A Lucchino moment may be in order.  A lot of folks think it is decision time in 2-3 weeks to fish or cut bait with the trade deadline.  DD just might stub his toe again.

I hope by "Lucchino moment" you weren't implying that we bring that total butt back and put him in charge of Baseball Ops again.  His incompetence and low balling our players sent us spinning into irrelevance in 2014-2015 and the worst thing that can happen is go bring that bum back. 

Nope.  I meant the Luccino moment when JH fired him for HIS gross negligence.  DD is treading on thin ice.  How many Tiger relationships does he have left? 

Bill-806

"LIKE SAND THRU THE HOUR GLASS, SO ARE THE DAYS OF OUR 2019 RED SOX" …. iono iono iono rofl rofl rofl

Sea Dog 23

John Henry's comments to WEEI last night, 'the team is built to win, we  just  need to play better. '  I imagine that was a guarded  comment, not to show our hand to a trade partner who will want a kings ransom  for a pitcher or 2B or (fill in the blank).  If he is really thinking more about status quo, I just don't know what to say e,crept %#$&.

Murph

I just can`t see JH being foolish and going out and getting any good player that will cost the team another 1st round draft pick. Chances are slim to get a WC with 4 teams ahead of them. Will they entertain thoughts of trading Mookie? See what happens when they offer him an extension and go from there. It would also help to know what Pedey will do. It would benefit the team money wise should he retire

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 01, 2019, 08:24:03 AM
John Henry's comments to WEEI last night, 'the team is built to win, we  just  need to play better. '  I imagine that was a guarded  comment, not to show our hand to a trade partner who will want a kings ransom  for a pitcher or 2B or (fill in the blank).  If he is really thinking more about status quo, I just don't know what to say e,crept %#$&.

I was once a severe critic of John Henry but he won me over last season when he fired John Farrell and made it clear AL East Titles were not enough and he waned a World Series Title, in his case his fourth.  We got that but were warned that going over the LT threshold spending would have bring some sacrifices the next season or two and now they have.  What could have been done was to trade one of our regulars---perhaps Bradley, perhaps Devers, perhaps Vasquez, along with a prospect or two to get a reliever who could save games.  Well we didn't get that done and now we have to see bums and chokers like Barnes, Workman, Brasier and others stink up as our chances for a post season berth goes up in smoke.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Murph on July 01, 2019, 11:09:44 AM
I just can`t see JH being foolish and going out and getting any good player that will cost the team another 1st round draft pick. Chances are slim to get a WC with 4 teams ahead of them. Will they entertain thoughts of trading Mookie? See what happens when they offer him an extension and go from there. It would also help to know what Pedey will do. It would benefit the team money wise should he retire

As much as I loved Pedroia  the fact is his knee is shot and for the past season and a half he has given us less than a half-dozen games and he shows no indication of his coming back.  Being a good team player and a diehard RexSox loyalist he should consider his team and give us the opportunity to use  the money he leaves behind to get some relievers so we don't blow more than 30 games next season---which the way we're going that most likely will be how many saves we blow with the garbage we keep sending out there.

Murph

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 01, 2019, 02:26:43 PM

I was once a severe critic of John Henry but he won me over last season when he fired John Farrell and made it clear AL East Titles were not enough and he waned a World Series Title, in his case his fourth.  We got that but were warned that going over the LT threshold spending would have bring some sacrifices the next season or two and now they have.  What could have been done was to trade one of our regulars---perhaps Bradley, perhaps Devers, perhaps Vasquez, along with a prospect or two to get a reliever who could save games.  Well we didn't get that done and now we have to see bums and chokers like Barnes, Workman, Brasier and others stink up as our chances for a post season berth goes up in smoke.

Thank the Lord he was smart enough not to trade Raffy. He has been the one steady bright spot all year. Since shedding some weight he has improved his defense a lot.Through his 1st 32 games he had 9 E.His next 49 games ONLY 3.
Throw in Vaz also has been damn good so far on both sides of the ball.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Murph on July 01, 2019, 03:48:37 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 01, 2019, 02:26:43 PM

Thank the Lord he was smart enough not to trade Raffy. He has been the one steady bright spot all year. Since shedding some weight he has improved his defense a lot.Through his 1st 32 games he had 9 E.His next 49 games ONLY 3.
Throw in Vaz also has been damn good so far on both sides of the ball.

Very true Murph but there apparently was no other way we could sign a quality reliever or two without either trading someone of value or going deeper into the luxury tax penalty box.  As you and most of our colleagues know for a fact, I have never been either a Barnes or Workman fan and feared, justifiably as it has turned out, that they would not be made of the stuff needed to give us quality and important relief appearances when we needed them the most.  Those others who have followed them  have been just as bad or worse.