GAME #83, SATURDAY, JUNE 29, 2019, NEW YORK YANKEES @ BOSTON RED SOX (LONDON)

Started by markj, June 29, 2019, 08:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

Sox score 10 runs and are losing  by 7.  If our idiotic manager had not surrendered earlier by putting Shawaryn and taking out Wright this would be a ball game.  Like I said before 30 seconds after the Red Sox are mathematically eliminated from the wild card, I'd fire him.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on June 29, 2019, 02:24:35 PM
Red Sox manager is a jackass.  Why in the world did he bring in Shawaryn.

ecause many in the Red Sox scouting and developmental department have insisted this Shawaryn guy could be a real sleeper and potential keeper for us.  BULLSHIT.  Every time he has pitched for us he has looked shittier and shittier.  Another bum pitching prospect who is no prospect and hardly even a suspect.  As for Porcello, he was saying he was ho nored to get the call in today's game.  Honored how? By being a human pinata on the mound???  I do agee what was said by someone earlier----After this series make a definitive move to sign Betts to a lon g term contract and if he refuses g et his ass out of town at the first opportunity.  There will be suitors who want the guy and we can recoup two decent young players for him.  If he refuses DO NOT KEEP HIM AND TRY TO SIGN HIM THIS OFF SEASON.  sHIP HIS ASS OUT OF TOWN.  Make certain also that Porcello pitches somewhere else next season and use  the mo ney from him to try and sign a good pitcher..

elktonnick

Sox lose.   While it may seem hard to point fingers at any one individual in a 17 to 13 slugfest but the Manager as much as anyone is largely responsible for this result.  He has mismanaged the pitching staff both starters and relievers since February with the start of spring training.

Murph

We should hope the FO is bright enough to see the future is not bright as made up now .Farm sucks and that's reason enough to not go over the LT. The Yanks can do us a favor and trounce us tomorrow and get the remake in motion.Criticize if you want but IMO that is what is needed.

Murph

Quote from: elktonnick on June 29, 2019, 04:57:42 PM
Sox lose.   While it may seem hard to point fingers at any one individual in a 17 to 13 slugfest but the Manager as much as anyone is largely responsible for this result.  He has mismanaged the pitching staff both starters and relievers since February with the start of spring training.
As far as ST is concerned it was not much different than last. ST.5 or 6 more innings I don't think with make matters better. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Murph on June 29, 2019, 05:13:24 PM
As far as ST is concerned it was not much different than last. ST.5 or 6 more innings I don't think with make matters better. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Murph, the whole mindset was different in the ST season of 2018. Cora was new on the job and he wanted to make a great impression from the get-go.  It was why he WAS hired after Farrell was canned AFTER winning two AL East Titles in a row.  Alex knew he had to do better than that ---and he did it in spades.  His leadership last season was superb, his handling of the pitching staff and lineup was p rofessional in every sense of the word and he out managed Boone, Roberts and the guy from Houston in the Playofds.  From the beginning of Spring Training this year he had this satisfied laid back attitude with an Alfred E. Newman "what, me worry" attitude.  The team was ready to play when the season began in 2018.  Is there anyone who would or could say with a straight face that we were ready to play when the season began this year??????  I sincerely doubt it.  Much of this emerging debacle is on him.  DD??? He should have gotten a closer...PERIOD!!!!!!

elktonnick

Quote from: Murph on June 29, 2019, 05:13:24 PM

As I noted in March the starters weren't ready for the season.  Espn noted at the time that Sale had only pitched 9 innings in ST before his first start.  He hadn't started a ST game until about two weeks before the start of the regular season.  I have been to 5 ST and last year was the most casual of any.  One baseball analyst after another from Smoltz, Eck, Jim Palmer, Jim Bowden to even A-Rod all noted that Sox pitchers simply hadn't worked enough to be ready for the regular season.  This put undue pressure on the pen which Smoltz noted during today's game. 

The current state of the pen was entirely predictable and foreseeable as a net result of the stupidity of the past year's ST regime regarding not getting the starters properly stretched out for the regular season.

Sea Dog 23

IMO it is risky to trade for solely a bull pen piece right now.  With the holes in the infield, the catcher (pitchers insist on Leon drama) would only be chasing a wild  card.   But at the end of the day you trade for a BP and/or starter for the benefit of the fans, just to show you're trying to compete.

Murph

With only about 7.5 m to work with whatever they get will be about the same as what is there now . Chasing a possible 1 and done scenario at this point doesn't make much sense.

elktonnick

For these reasons, I think DD may largely do nothing but minor tinkering .

longgame

Quote from: Murph on June 30, 2019, 08:10:21 AM
With only about 7.5 m to work with whatever they get will be about the same as what is there now . Chasing a possible 1 and done scenario at this point doesn't make much sense.

If they can spend all that money on ferrying this group back and forth to London, they can certainly go out and field a full team.  This is ridiculous.