GAME #4, MARCH 31, 2019, BOSTON RED SOX AT MARINERS

Started by Bear, March 31, 2019, 07:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Vaz misses three times. That last one was several feet off the plate. At least he didn't GIDP.

markj

Close but no cigar. Sox lose 10-8. Again, this is all on the starters.

markj

Sox with 24 runs in this series, which would normally sound pretty good. But it's 10 runs less than they gave up, so... iono

elktonnick

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on March 31, 2019, 06:31:15 PM
WHAT the heck is happening with our STARTING PITCHERS???????

CRAP!

AND so far, the bullpen has not been the problem.

What has happened to the starters is that they had virtually no spring training compared to the relievers who had a more typical ST workload.  What we saw in Seattle is exactly what I thought was going to happen.  Cora has to own up to the fact that his approach led to this result.  Now he will undoubtedly argue that by starting the starters so slowly will allow them to perform better later in the year. We'll see.

BoSoxFanNY

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on March 31, 2019, 07:01:47 PM

CRAP!

What has happened to the starters is that they had virtually no spring training compared to the relievers who had a more typical ST workload.  What we saw in Seattle is exactly what I thought was going to happen.  Cora has to own up to the fact that his approach led to this result.  Now he will undoubtedly argue that by starting the starters so slowly will allow them to perform better later in the year. We'll see.

Maybe so Elk but it could also be the building blocks for a catastrophic 2019 season where things never get better.  If this keeps up I expect Cora to acknowledge that his method in ST was flawed and not make any damn excuses to the contrary.  This is not the way we needed to open the season and for those who want to tell me the Yankees and Astros didn't do so hot either.....SAVE IT.  I don't give a hoot in hell about them; all I'm concerned with is the Red Sox and we need to get or shit together real quick.

BoSoxFanNY

YIKES!

Last year our Sox started off the baseball season 17 - 2
and went on to win the World Series (as we all know!)

THIS year is starting off really bad . . .

Bill-806

A SAD START ……..  As DAD would say,  "SON, this TEAM can't stand prosperity" !!!!! iono iono iono iono rofl rofl rofl

Murph

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on March 31, 2019, 10:28:16 PM
YIKES!

Last year our Sox started off the baseball season 17 - 2
and went on to win the World Series (as we all know!)

THIS year is starting off really bad . . .

That was a magical 1 in for the ages that will not be seen again.

longgame

Quote from: Murph on March 31, 2019, 06:31:50 PM
Red Sox starters: 15 innings, 13.20 ERA; Red Sox bullpen: 18 innings, 2.50 ERA

And it's even worse as a lot more runs were unearned but still the result of bad pitching. 

On the bright side, the starting rotation has never had a better golf game.  I'm guessing they go out and play after some chicken and beer in the 4th inning when they're out of the game. 

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on March 31, 2019, 07:57:57 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on March 31, 2019, 07:01:47 PM

CRAP!

Maybe so Elk but it could also be the building blocks for a catastrophic 2019 season where things never get better.  If this keeps up I expect Cora to acknowledge that his method in ST was flawed and not make any damn excuses to the contrary.  This is not the way we needed to open the season and for those who want to tell me the Yankees and Astros didn't do so hot either.....SAVE IT.  I don't give a hoot in hell about them; all I'm concerned with is the Red Sox and we need to get or shit together real quick.

Clearly we all expect better things the next time through the rotation.  As I've said, it doesn't help to be playing two teams who came to camp early and started their season earlier than anyone else.  But I agree that there has to be some adjustment.  Cora keeps saying it was the same program they used last year.  Well clearly not.

The good news is that the Astros and Yankees are also struggling.  The Yanks dropped 2 to Baltimore in NY.