GAME #1, MARCH 28, 2019, BOSTON RED SOX AT MARINERS

Started by Bear, March 26, 2019, 07:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murph

At least the pen is pitching up to their normal capabilities. 

Sea Dog 23

Lots of question marks on the pitching staff.  Every guy that's pitched has run into trouble.  Since most were given few innings in ST, probably into April before they tune up.  Guys like Valaz, Hembree, Thorney -- what you see is what you get.

markj

Murph

I'll  give him a pass on that hurried off balanced throw on a good play.

BoSoxFanNY

AND the Sox lose 12 - 4.

VERY disappointing way to start the season.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on March 28, 2019, 07:27:12 PM
None of this is surprising to me, this is what happens when you don't work your starters in spring training.  I expect to see more like this from the Red Sox starters over the next two weeks.

Perhaps Alex Cora got caught up in the hype that when you play an extra month in the Fall you have to go a little easy in ST Elk.  I'm not too surprised either but I didn't expect Chris to get hammered as he did tonight.  One game doesn't a season make but you would think the team will come back to rectify this farce of a game and make amends tomorrow.  Well I hope so anyway.  All we can do is put this to bed and root our guys to come out snarling tomorrow, but I was vindicated on one front in this game my friends out there.  I have had a hard-on for pitchers Velasquez, Thornburg and Workman, and the first two lived up to my worst expectations of them.  Both should become mop up men because they both stink to high heaven.  Well, let's come back and win tomorrow.  Maybe we can start a modest winning streak because we can't get this one back.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on March 28, 2019, 09:16:59 PM
Thornburg gives up a 2-run dinger. Why on earth is he still on the roster? He has *never* done well in a Red Sox uniform.

Mark, someone either here or on BostonRedSoxForum said that the front office is reluctant to admit failure in that disastrous trade we made after the 2016 season when we traded Travis Shaw, a 30 homer, 100 RBI man for this POS.  If so, Dombrowski has to disenthrall himself, admit his mistake and dump this bum before he causes us any more damage.

Bill-806

NOT GOOD ...... Hung ovaa ? entitlement? do you know who we are ????  SALE looks like the arm will fall off on the next pitch ???  WOW, a wake up NOW call !!! thumb_d iono iono iono iono

Sea Dog 23

Some of the players spent a lot of energy bemoaning owners not signing bigger contracts, and for honoring FA's who did not get signed.  I know It's pro sports, it's just one bad game, but time to get everybody on the same page.  I think Eovaldi will get it going on Friday.

longgame

This one fell apart early when Chris Sale, making his 4th Spring Training start, had to face live batters.  Then of course being coy with Pedey all year led to Nunez who must have the same frying pan, I mean glove, manufacturer, as Devers.  Neither of those guys play major league defense by a long shot.  The bullpen pitched like we thought they would.  No time for weeping, they go back at it today. 

However I stand by my comment that Seattle is already at game speed and the Sox don't look close to it yet.

elktonnick

I went to three ST games. Not much difference in the way they played last night.  No focus, they are still patting themselves on their backs for last year.  Cora wasted ST.  He doesn't have this team ready.  I hope they prove me wrong.  But, I see this team limping back to Boston with a losing record.

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on March 29, 2019, 07:51:52 AM
I went to three ST games. Not much difference in the way they played last night.  No focus, they are still patting themselves on their backs for last year.  Cora wasted ST.  He doesn't have this team ready.  I hope they prove me wrong.  But, I see this team limping back to Boston with a losing record.
CONCUR ….. Looked like the Mariners are in the July 4th mode & OUR SOX are still talking about last year !! iono iono iono

Bill-806

Quote from: markj on March 28, 2019, 06:29:58 PM
Devers getting a quick start on his error total for the year. First ball hit his way this season. Inning should be over.
Our PITCHERS can not be happy with DEVER'S glove at 3rd base..... He also concerns me in the 3rd slot in the lineup ????  NO WAY to START !!! iono iono iono

Sea Dog 23

Also are our pitchers still voicing their preference for Leon behind the plate? (Sale was one I think, and one other).  When he was waived, Cora stated 'we are not accomodating anybody.'  Cora will get all the drama put to bed, I think.

SeaBeachFred

A good night's sleep did little to allay my fears that this team of ours is simply not ready for the season.  Anyone who now things ST failures cannot seep into the regular season should have what passes for their brains examined.  We simply looked like crap last night.  Tonight Cora has to wake up the team and maybe himself while he's about it, get Holt in at second to at least get some defense in the infield while Devers has to start playing third base better than he did last year and last night.  How about  guys?  Time to get the cobwebs out.