Free Agency this off-season

Started by Sea Dog 23, November 04, 2023, 07:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on January 04, 2024, 06:37:51 AM
Llovera, our 2023 trade deadline loot, got DFA'd to make room for a dumpster dive from the Royals. We got a 24 year Minor League (AAA) starting pitcher named Max Castillo. He made a handful of relief appearances in the bigs the last season and a mixed 6 starts and 8 relief appearances the year before. His MLB career ERA is 5.43 ERA with a 1.37 WHIP and an unimpressive k-rate.

He was part of the trade that sent Merrifield to Toronto. He had two decent years in the Toronto system. 2019 A+ with a 2.69 ERA in 24 starts. He was having a very nice year in 2022 between AA and AAA before getting traded to KC, which is about where he imploded.

Soooo, there's at least a chance this guy can get back on track if we're allowed to assume something about the KC situation was at fault. Probably more use than Llovera, but I never liked that trade to begin with and could be a bit on the grumpy side considering we kept him instead of protecting a couple guys I had higher hopes for in the minors.

Perhaps one of the last vestiges of that miserable Bloom era is going the way of the ten ents hamburger.  Still, so far Breslow has been no great shakes as a replacement either, barely above that departed bum.  Sad prediction---- we are supposed to be deep in the running for Montgomery.  we will not get him.

The owner is too cheap for him to start spending money.  He still feels that he was forced into signing Devers last winter when he was nearly booed off the state at the first Red Sox rally.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on January 04, 2024, 06:37:51 AM
Llovera, our 2023 trade deadline loot, got DFA'd to make room for a dumpster dive from the Royals. We got a 24 year Minor League (AAA) starting pitcher named Max Castillo. He made a handful of relief appearances in the bigs the last season and a mixed 6 starts and 8 relief appearances the year before. His MLB career ERA is 5.43 ERA with a 1.37 WHIP and an unimpressive k-rate.

He was part of the trade that sent Merrifield to Toronto. He had two decent years in the Toronto system. 2019 A+ with a 2.69 ERA in 24 starts. He was having a very nice year in 2022 between AA and AAA before getting traded to KC, which is about where he imploded.

Soooo, there's at least a chance this guy can get back on track if we're allowed to assume something about the KC situation was at fault. Probably more use than Llovera, but I never liked that trade to begin with and could be a bit on the grumpy side considering we kept him instead of protecting a couple guys I had higher hopes for in the minors.

The only redeeming thing I've read about Castillo is that they think they can make him a 1-inning bullpen guy.  His time as a starter. he had four pitches, two of which he could not throw for strikes.  So they think they can get him to throw the other two pitches well.  End of story, I doubt Castillo is the one who gets us to the #3 wildcard this year.

Sea Dog 23

It could be the Sox can be shamed, shamed into a FA move for a pitcher.  The Boston press have been unrelenting in questioning FSG.  The name theyre looking at could well be Blake Snell.  Sox seem to be looking at a short term, high dollar yearly pay out, like 2-3 years.  Montgomery I think wants a 7-8 year deal.  Surely something is about to break loose.  Happy New Year is over and there are just six weeks or so to get arms out to Jet Blue.

Sea Dog 23

I have a double dose of mayhem in my house.  Rooting for the Red Sox and also for my alma mater North Carolina.  As you know one of Breslow's first signings was the Rays AA/AAA pitcher Cooper Criswell.  I got one of the UNC junkies to give me a recap of what Criswell did in his one year at UNC.  His manager seemed to have faith in him as the #! or #2 starter, but for some reason lost faith in him during the College World Series in 2018.  He was sent to the bullpen, then became a starter in the next game when the bullpen blew the save.  In 2022 he had a 3.95 era two years ago in AA, AAA with a stint in Tampa.  2023 was a mystery.  Maybe TJS.   

Criswell only pitched one year at UNC (2018), after arriving as a juco transfer. He started the year pitching out of the bullpen, and ended it as our Friday starter. He was the starter in the first game of the regional and first game of the super regional, winning both, and then in what seemed a strange decision, did not start our first game of CWS in Omaha. However,  he was brought in to get the save. He later started what turned out to be our elimination game, when the bullpen collapsed, blowing a 3 run lead by allowing 8 combined runs in the 8th and 9th innings.

longgame

I hear you Sea Dog, we're a UNC household too as my son and my money went there.  That doesn't sound promising, but we're used to stockpiling recovery projects.

You're right about them being shamed everywhere, locally and beyond.  They've set themselves up in a position where they'll be forced to overpay for someone in terms of dollars and/or prospects. I keep wanting to believe that they'll make the moves they desperately need to make before the end of the month, but it's more hope than expectation.

They've got two weeks until "Winter Weekend". At this rate they better bring heavy security.

Sea Dog 23

The Sox are desparately trying to get a FA deal done for another OF with a righty bat.  Writers have reported that Boston will not go more than two years on any deal other than pitching.

They lost our on Teoscar Hernandez to LAD.  Today they are targeting three back up plans,Yoshida is still said to be up for a trade if a righty bat gets a deal.
Jorge Soler is next up.  Last year for Marlins he hit.250, 36 hr., 75 rbi, 27.9 K/rate
slash line in 2023 was .250/.341/.512/.853

Michael Taylor has popped up as an option for the Red Sox on multiple occasions this offseason. The Gold Glove Award winner clubbed 21 home runs last season across 129 games played and slashed .220/.278/.442.

Tommy Pham is available and appeared in 129 total games last season with the New York Mets and Arizona Diamondbacks and smashed 16 home runs, drove in 68 runs, and slashed .256/.328/.446.

Both Pham and Taylor could be intriguing options because either could help defensively as well in the outfield. Boston has plenty of work to do and there's sure to be plenty more rumors before the club actually gets a deal done.

SeaBeachFred

It now seems evident that Prune Face is going to once again hold the line to any spending whatsoever and condemn the team to another disastrous campaign.  We have little power to counteract this cheap bastard but boycotting games, refusing to watch NESN, not reading the rag Globe and buying nothing connected to the Red Sox might be the only leverage we have.  We need to get that bum out of Boston.  He has ruined everything good that he helped bring about.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on January 09, 2024, 04:11:32 PM
It now seems evident that Prune Face is going to once again hold the line to any spending whatsoever and condemn the team to another disastrous campaign.  We have little power to counteract this cheap bastard but boycotting games, refusing to watch NESN, not reading the rag Globe and buying nothing connected to the Red Sox might be the only leverage we have.  We need to get that bum out of Boston.  He has ruined everything good that he helped bring about.

Fred, I don't know what to say.  It is going on second week of Jan. What is going on in Boston?  They just lost another bidding exercise for a pitcher --- Imanaga to the Cubs.  They seem to be a team without a plan.  One of the writers put out a good article that FSG are acting like an owner ready to sell the team.  They are shopping all the big contracts for one thing.  Werner answered that writer and said, "when has Fenway Sports ever sold anything?" 

Where this is going is anybody's guess.  The off-season tells me that they are not ready to put a competitive team on the field this year.  They could compete with the Royals and the Angels, maybe.  but there is absolutely no way they can put a team out there that O's, Rays, Jays would respect.  Maybe you have a better look.  But a month or so from Jet Blue, this is looking crazy.

MongoLikeSox

I'm seeing the same thing on the Cubs probably getting Imanaga. Also seeing Yanks and Strohman might be getting close to a deal. Not looking good, unless there is some traction around Montgomery that we don't know about.

Another lovely Winter.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on January 10, 2024, 10:23:26 AM
I'm seeing the same thing on the Cubs probably getting Imanaga. Also seeing Yanks and Strohman might be getting close to a deal. Not looking good, unless there is some traction around Montgomery that we don't know about.

Another lovely Winter.
R
I saw that about Stroman.  Our only nibble in the last several weeks,  Mike Clevenger said today that he would "prefer" to play in Boston.  Clevenger?  He is probably this year's Garrett Richards!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on January 10, 2024, 03:40:31 PM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on January 10, 2024, 10:23:26 AM

Another lovely Winter.
R
I saw that about Stroman.  Our only nibble in the last several weeks,  Mike Clevenger said today that he would "prefer" to play in Boston.  Clevenger?  He is probably this year's Garrett Richards!

Clevenger!!!!!!  This was already shaping up to be another miserable Red Sox day for fans like us who live and die with our beloved team---AND NOW WE HAVE TO HEAR THE NAME CLEVENGER!!!!!!  Another Richards, or Kluber or what we've stackedour team with on the hill the past few years.  Sorry guys but I'm about ready to lose my lunch.

longgame

From what I’ve seen on social media, the natives are restless and Winter Weekend could turn out ugly.  No wonder the owner won’t attend because he’s a chicken Sh!t.  Mismanagement on and off the field.

elktonnick

JimMcCaffery's  piece in today's Athletic is one of the best takes on Red Sox ownership.  I was unaware that Boston has major redevelopment plans for the Fenway area.  I think this gives some insight on why Henry is not spending on players. 

Remember Henry is an investor first and the Red Sox are merely one of his investments in his portfolio.  It has long been thought by many Boston sports writers that Henry is now more interested in developing Fenway park as a year round destination than the baseball team at the present time.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on January 11, 2024, 08:31:02 AM
JimMcCaffery's  piece in today's Athletic is one of the best takes on Red Sox ownership.  I was unaware that Boston has major redevelopment plans for the Fenway area.  I think this gives some insight on why Henry is not spending on players. 

Remember Henry is an investor first and the Red Sox are merely one of his investments in his portfolio.  It has long been thought by many Boston sports writers that Henry is now more interested in developing Fenway park as a year round destination than the baseball team at the present time.

Sounds like he's taking a cue from the Braves and the entertainment district they built around the new ballpark. 

I like the Sox as a baseball team, not as a pink hat amusement park.  Henry needs to keep his eye on the ball. 

MongoLikeSox

Unlike other clubs going under similar projects, ours does not seem hell bent in making the team all that attractive of a draw. Very odd.