Westmoreland

Started by Sea Dog 23, January 29, 2023, 06:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

Good article on Westmorland. He was touted as the Sox version of Mike Trout, although a lefty swinger.  Big, strong athlete was projected to be a starting OF slugger for 15 years.  Until tumors on his brain took baseball away.

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2023/01/former-red-sox-top-prospect-looking-to-reinvent-himself-by-going-back-to-school-in-boston.html

Sea Dog 23

I got an email today from YouTubeTV, my streaming service, that they are dropping MLB Netwotk today.  They could not agree on an extension.  And right before spring training!

I’ll look at DirecTV Stream or some other service.  I think the other outlets for MLB Network are Sling Orange and FUBO.  Hulu does not carry it. If you guys are streaming, you’ll know your package.

longgame

I have DIRECTV for my TV service and have had their package for years.  You can just get MLB directly from MLB and watch via the app or in a browser. 

MongoLikeSox

If your TV supports the MLB app, you can go that route. Most of those services can be activated within a TV's operating system. I still have Cable/ISP combination and watch 1/2 the games through that. If my TV supported the MLB app, I'd just get it straight from MLB and be done with it.

I also use Uzzu TV. Best thing since sliced bread. It does have limited resolution and has a tendency to skip here and there, especially early in games. I also had to get an IP TV app for my LG TV. Lifetime license for $15, IIRC. IPTV is the name of it. That's the bad part. The good part is all the NBA/NHL/NFL/MLB games for $100 (IIRC) - home/away broadcasts. I've started watching the Celtics again for the first time since I lived in New Hampshire before 1982 when I used to watch them on WBZ in Black & White.

Sea Dog 23

Yes, uzzu tv is a great alternative. And in that you can get the Bally games for Braves, Hornets , Hurricanes - in the Carolinas, whereas with streaming services Bally is not available.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on February 04, 2023, 11:41:42 AM
Yes, uzzu tv is a great alternative. And in that you can get the Bally games for Braves, Hornets , Hurricanes - in the Carolinas, whereas with streaming services Bally is not available.

I get all those too with my DirectTV package. 

Sea Dog 23

Besides Sale being at Jet Blue on Tuesday, Whitlock was also running sprints, and he was lifting in the weight room.  His hip surgery was said to be successful.  Yoshida was also in camp.

Brayan Bello has been pitching under the tutelage of Pedro, probably at another site.

Sea Dog 23

On the eve of Spring Training I got this from a Phillies guy today.

“The only Sox player with four body parts in his name”

TONY ARMAS

rofl rofl

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on February 14, 2023, 09:50:36 AM
On the eve of Spring Training I got this from a Phillies guy today.

“The only Sox player with four body parts in his name”

TONY ARMAS

rofl rofl

Frankly Sea Dog, I don't know whether to laugh or what, but I tend to the latter whatever that may be since once again Bloom blows a chance to help our team get better.  He seemingly refused to give Michael Wacha a two year contract and insisted on one year for horse dung money.  The result?  He signs elsewhere and for th umpteenth time the Sox get outbid for a player we could have used because e ither he or Prune Face was too cheap to extend  their contract offers.  This is starting to really shape up as another shithole start to what could turn out to be another 2012, 2020 or any of the other last place farces we've we've been forced  to endure the past decade or so.

Sea Dog 23

No Fred, not good news at all about both Nate and Wacha.  Our highest paid and long contract pitchers are getting long in the tooth and lower in velocity.

In the batters cage today, Duran has changed his stance.  His hands are up high, and he has little to no leg kick.  Could he be the backup to Arroyo at 2B?  On a lot of clubs, plugging in a AAAA guy like Duran is a terrible idea, but we're talking about what is the '23 Sox idea of a MLB club, sad as it is.  Bloomer seems done with the payroll additions, but he did throw some mumbo jumbo word salad out at his presser today.

Sea Dog 23

Sale is scheduled to throw off the bullpen mound against batters next week.  So the batters will be inanimate objects to frame his pitches?

From Schaunessy,
â€"â€"-/â€"â€"â€"â€"-
But he looks even thinner than usual. Gandhi-like. And though I am neither a doctor nor nutritionist, Sale’s physique makes me wonder whether his hereditary frame â€" the skinny gene â€" makes things tougher as he attempts to once again be a stud starter for the Sox.[
-----------------------------
He’s listed as 6 feet 6 inches, 183 pounds. I asked how much he actually weighs.
“Want to pick me up?” he challenged with a grin. “I haven’t stepped on a scale in a minute, but I’d say I’m around 185-ish.”

longgame

Interesting tidbit I heard last night.  This current Sox team has more players from the 2018 Dodgers than from the 2018 Red Sox.

Sea Dog 23

Fangraphs came out with their predictions for ‘23.    Sox 31% chance of making the wild card round. 81-81 record, 4th in the ALEast ahead of Balt. 4-4 1/2 behind Tampa and Toronto.  Does that excite the fan base, NO!! But probably what the Sox based their budgeting on.  It is what it is.

Sea Dog 23

Tough news from Ft Myers, Brayan Bello was pulled, complaining of ‘forearm stiffness’, that usually is a precursor of TJD.  To be determined. Cora said they would try to work him again on Monday.

Pivetta also complained of some kind of discomfort that they blamed on his recent illness and lack of stamina. These things have got to put the MGT on pitching depth alert.  How good are the AAA pitchers?

elktonnick

Cora said that Bello's forearm stiffness is because he was throwing a lot of breaking balls.  If they have him working on a cutter they should be all fired for incompetence.