Sox out of the gate

Started by Sea Dog 23, March 30, 2023, 09:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

I guess Ill put this here.  Saw that Cora is winless in openers with the Sox..  Pr a 1-2 start with Houck not locating  in game #3.  Pirates and Tigers  series  IMO puts us likely at 5-4.  With our pitching concerns, thats a predictablstart.

longgame

It could be a telling start with a competitor for the bottom of the division and then the Pirates and Tigers.  It's a great chance for a good team to get off to a fast start.  For this team it may be just enough to avoid a terrible start.  Maybe. 

Sea Dog 23

Andrew Politi, RH BP pitcher is back with the Sox.  Taken in the Rule 5 from Sox by Baltimore in the off-season, but he was released and not claimed.  Politi would have to placed on the 40 man I think.

MongoLikeSox

Our old nemesis, Franchy Cordero, is now on the Yankees.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on March 31, 2023, 09:48:48 AM

The Yanks just picked up our old friend Colten Brewer in a trade with Tampa.  What did they see?

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on March 31, 2023, 10:44:59 AM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on March 31, 2023, 09:48:48 AM

The Yanks just picked up our old friend Colten Brewer in a trade with Tampa.  What did they see?
Minor League deal for cash. Assigned to Scranton Wilkes Barre. My guess is pure depth piece for their depth pieces to have backup for depth piece. LOL

MongoLikeSox

It might be just me, but I expected Rafaela to start the year in Worcester. I understand the reasons to start in in Portland due to player developmental considerations. In addition to that, it probably takes some heat off the home office to promote him all the way up should we get off to a sketchy start.   

Sea Dog 23

How is the new OF doing?  Its early yes, but Duvall looks like a steal at $7mil.  He is so-so as a fielder, but big pop and good base runner.  Yoshida looks overmatched. His time spent in the WBC did not expose him to all the new rules.  He needs to get on base to show his value.

Verdugo did not have a good WBC at bat, but he has become a good lead-off hitter in Boston to start out, getting on base and showing the home run stroke.  Tapia is surprisingly a late inning sub in the outfield, although his defense has been a questionmark over his career.

I don't think the Sox have any stolen bases yet, as all the OFers can run.  The Orioles have used the stolen base as a big part of their offense.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 02, 2023, 07:25:22 AM
How is the new OF doing?  Its early yes, but Duvall looks like a steal at $7mil.  He is so-so as a fielder, but big pop and good base runner.  Yoshida looks overmatched. His time spent in the WBC did not expose him to all the new rules.  He needs to get on base to show his value.

Verdugo did not have a good WBC at bat, but he has become a good lead-off hitter in Boston to start out, getting on base and showing the home run stroke.  Tapia is surprisingly a late inning sub in the outfield, although his defense has been a questionmark over his career.

I don't think the Sox have any stolen bases yet, as all the OFers can run.  The Orioles have used the stolen base as a big part of their offense.
Definitely early, but nothing too surprising to me except for how hard Yoshida swings. I wonder if he swung like that in Japan, or is it the Red Sox staff tinkering where they ought not to be tinkering again?

I see some limited PT for Tapia and Refsnyder early on as this team gets settled into things. Having legitimate MLB players as OF depth is a nice luxury, though it should not be.

Sea Dog 23

I loathe the Benintendi trade more than anyone.  But Bloom does have a thread of salvation in that deal.  Yes, Franchy is gone, and the other two minor leaguers from KC are toast.  However the pitcher Winchowski we got from the Mets in that deal had a good spring.  In his first action against the O's he pitched 3 scoreless innings, 2 hits and 3 K's.  Winch has added a slider to his mix.  The other long relief guy we got in FA, Bleier, has been knocked around in the spring and his one game last week. 

Houck seems destined for long relief, when all the IL guys get healthy.  He has only two main pitches, but showed a cutter on Sunday that he is working on.  We shall see.

MongoLikeSox

They said Houck threw 1/2 dozen spliiters, too. I don't know what they thought of them.

Houck was messing with a different Slider last season, too. That sweeper has to be 100% on or it's crushed. I wish the Sox would back off from that organizational preference.

Sea Dog 23

Well the Sox starters have been battered in Boston so far.  The writers say there is a lifeline.  Three starters on the IL are getting into shape in stages.  Whitlock made rehab starts in Worcester and in Portland.  He could be ready to go maybe by the weekend or early next week.

Bello and Paxton are next up.  Sox have moved those two to Fort Myers because of the cold weather up north.
Bello could do his first rehab tomorrow.  But he is two weeks behind Whitlock.  Paxton is a ways off, he is said to be 3 weeks or so behind Bello. 

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 04, 2023, 02:45:00 PM
Well the Sox starters have been battered in Boston so far.  The writers say there is a lifeline.  Three starters on the IL are getting into shape in stages.  Whitlock made rehab starts in Worcester and in Portland.  He could be ready to go maybe by the weekend or early next week.

Bello and Paxton are next up.  Sox have moved those two to Fort Myers because of the cold weather up north.
Bello could do his first rehab tomorrow.  But he is two weeks behind Whitlock.  Paxton is a ways off, he is said to be 3 weeks or so behind Bello.

An update today, two more weeks before a scheduled start for Whitlock and Bello.  As far as Paxton, he is now projected sometime in May, and then they'll watch his progress.  Not good news for our discombobulated pitching staff, and worse for the overtaxed bullpen.