Blooms moves or lack thereof

Started by elktonnick, November 27, 2022, 04:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Quote from: Pumpsie Green on February 27, 2023, 12:20:16 PM
Quote from: longgame on February 22, 2023, 11:47:38 AM
Tomase gives his glass half full pronouncement.  Basically a lot has to go right!

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-sox/red-sox-skeptic-explains-why-he-hopes-hes-wrong-about-everything-2023?cid=sm_npd_rsn_bos_twt_mn

This is a last place quality team-again. I would give Bloom one more year to right the ship. If we aren't in the playoffs next year the entire house should be cleaned. Meanwhile, hold your noses.

I echo Fred's remarks, good to see you Pumpsie.

I'm not sure that even (another) abject failure will move this team to action.  My guess is they do just well enough in the eyes of Henry and Bloom that they end up tinkering again.

Pumpsie Green

Quote from: longgame on February 28, 2023, 08:48:16 AM
Quote from: Pumpsie Green on February 27, 2023, 12:20:16 PM
Quote from: longgame on February 22, 2023, 11:47:38 AM
Tomase gives his glass half full pronouncement.  Basically a lot has to go right!

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-sox/red-sox-skeptic-explains-why-he-hopes-hes-wrong-about-everything-2023?cid=sm_npd_rsn_bos_twt_mn

This is a last place quality team-again. I would give Bloom one more year to right the ship. If we aren't in the playoffs next year the entire house should be cleaned. Meanwhile, hold your noses.

I echo Fred's remarks, good to see you Pumpsie.

I'm not sure that even (another) abject failure will move this team to action.  My guess is they do just well enough in the eyes of Henry and Bloom that they end up tinkering again.

Part of the problem is that we are in probably the most competitive division in baseball. Even the Orioles are going to have a good season. We play within our division more than anywhere else and we all know how poorly we did against the ALE last year. Chances are we won't be a .500 team. I am looking at around 70-75 wins as a guess.

Sea Dog 23

Besides the Sox, I follow the Cardinals.  I live d out there for several years.  I taaped the Cards-Mets game over the weekend.  With the prospectus on the Sox what it is.,  I'll be spending some time in the NL Central this year. It is what it is. 

I enjoy  baseball, and will find good baseball to watch like most fans.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on February 28, 2023, 12:39:51 PM
Besides the Sox, I follow the Cardinals.  I live d out there for several years.  I taaped the Cards-Mets game over the weekend.  With the prospectus on the Sox what it is.,  I'll be spending some time in the NL Central this year. It is what it is. 

I enjoy  baseball, and will find good baseball to watch like most fans.

I will be following the NL Central too this season for the most part but we will be rivals there.  The Cubs are my No. 2 team and I'm hoping to travel to Chicago to see them take on your boys this summer.  The Cardinals look very strong but my Cubs are coming back after a couple of bummer years.  Their farm system is starting to churn out some pretty good prospects and I'll have to see how they  come around before I start doing handstands.  Still my heart will always be first and foremost with  the Red Sox.  Damn John Henry and Chaim Bloom for what they have done to our favorite team.

longgame

Braves are the "local" team here and I tune into their games from time to time.  I also catch the Padres sometimes for an inning or two late at night, just to remember what a good announcer sounds like.  I've got a good buddy who's a Guardians fan so I may check in on them with that young roster and Tito at the helm. 

Sea Dog 23

At end of week 1 of Spring Training the Sox starters are showing a lot of wear and tear.  Paxton was pulled from his start Friday with a grade 1 hamstring (out 3 or more weeks).  Whitlock is still recovering from hip surgery. Bello is a question mark with 'arm stiffness' Yesterday Pivetta was rocked for 3 runs in the 1st.  Fingers crossed for aging Sale and  Kluber. Right now Bloom is probably wincing that he let San Diego get 12-2 Waccha for $3.5 mil (+ options).

It's still way early as they say. The bullpen so far is the strength of the club.  But how do they get to the bullpen.

MongoLikeSox

They stretched out Crawford today. 3 innings. Probably plan-H, but whatever. That curve is a plus pitch when it's working. At least it was last year when he came back from Worcester.

Sea Dog 23

On Monday Sale faced the Tigers at Jet Blue.  They gave him two innings, no runs, 2 hits, 0 BB, 2 Ks.
Probably all they expected and so far, no reported dings in his body.
Justin Turner was hit in the face and showing blood. first at bat, and taken right to the hospital.

So far, Tapia has been a surprise at the plate.  A doubles machine they say, with a double and homer today.  If that holds up, he could make the roster since others have a few hamstrings in camp.

Sea Dog 23

An update on Justin Turner.  A Red Sox report says he is at a local hospital.  They are treating him for 'soft tissue facial injuries'.  He is also being monitored if there could be a concussion.  Justin is "stable, alert, and in good spirits."

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on March 06, 2023, 04:19:57 PM
An update on Justin Turner.  A Red Sox report says he is at a local hospital.  They are treating him for 'soft tissue facial injuries'.  He is also being monitored if there could be a concussion.  Justin is "stable, alert, and in good spirits."

That's good news.  He is a very positive influence not only on the field but in the clubhouse and we will need him badly when the season begins.

Sea Dog 23

First meeting with NYY today at Steinbrenner Stadium.  We are playing scrubs today, but dominating the Yanks mostly A team.  9-3 in the 8th with 5 homers so far.  Two by a lad named Crook.  LOL, Sox have 6 runs off Tyler Danish, that we DFAd, but the Yanks signed him to a deal.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on March 09, 2023, 02:29:21 PM
First meeting with NYY today at Steinbrenner Stadium.  We are playing scrubs today, but dominating the Yanks mostly A team.  9-3 in the 8th with 5 homers so far.  Two by a lad named Crook.  LOL, Sox have 6 runs off Tyler Danish, that we DFAd, but the Yanks signed him to a deal.

Grapefruit League game or otherwise, when the Red Sox play the Yankees I want to beat the Yankees, no two ways about it----and I think I have some of my friends on this board who would agree with that.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on March 09, 2023, 05:55:06 PM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on March 09, 2023, 02:29:21 PM

Grapefruit League game or otherwise, when the Red Sox play the Yankees I want to beat the Yankees, no two ways about it----and I think I have some of my friends on this board who would agree with that.

Amazed at this ST performance so far.  Again a lot of young guys picking up some big hits late in games.  Let's hope some of it carries through as the regulars don't play much. 

Sea Dog 23

Sox played at Jet Blue against the Rays.  Duvall finally got his first hit of the Spring, I think he was 0 for 12 with a sac fly and a couple walks before.  He will have to get ready at bat to be some protection behind Raffy.
Yoshida got a hit for Japan yesterday.  I'm not sure he had gotten anything but a walk or two at Ft Myers.

I've got a suspicion that David Hamilton will make the roster in a bench role.  He has looked OK at SS, has some hits, and is probably the fastest player in the organization.  They might use him as a base stealer, to take advantage of shifts while at bat, and a pinch runner.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on March 10, 2023, 07:01:29 PM
Sox played at Jet Blue against the Rays.  Duvall finally got his first hit of the Spring, I think he was 0 for 12 with a sac fly and a couple walks before.  He will have to get ready at bat to be some protection behind Raffy.
Yoshida got a hit for Japan yesterday.  I'm not sure he had gotten anything but a walk or two at Ft Myers.

I've got a suspicion that David Hamilton will make the roster in a bench role.  He has looked OK at SS, has some hits, and is probably the fastest player in the organization.  They might use him as a base stealer, to take advantage of shifts while at bat, and a pinch runner.
Thankfully they've resisted on Hamilton. He eeked out a late season mini-surge last season in Portland to bring his average up to the new, modern-day almost respectable level of .250 in Portland. Hopefully he plays his way up here this Summer.

Speaking of SS, I see this morning that Yu Chang won the group-A MVP honors in the WBC. He will have to be something special to give him an MLB contract with the other options that were out there.