Blooms moves or lack thereof

Started by elktonnick, November 27, 2022, 04:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

He was definitely an enigma. Up and down. No more spider-tack for that kid and he was done for a year. Comes back, finishes decently and then he's DFA'd. I hope this isn't one of their cash moves where we get nothing for him.

So, looking at his dismantling the 2019 team. The return is mind-numbingly awful. I had the return all listed out, but was too depressing to look at. Betts, David Price, Benny, JBJ(twice), JDM , Moreland, Vasquez, Bogey, Workman, Hembree, Holt, Chavis, Eovaldi, Darwinzon Hernandez, Josh Taylor and Barnes.

It's not pretty. We got cash relief for Price, a 4th rotation SP, an average corner OF'er and a AAA-MLB starting pitcher depth piece. We've got 4 prospects left, one of which is hitting his weight, two are in the 40-man just to save face and a pitcher who might make it out of rookie ball this season. That is it unless you want to give him the benefit of draft picks as consolation prizes for screwing up the Bogey, Eovaldi tandem this year. I'm leaving out Franchy.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on January 25, 2023, 07:28:48 AM
saw a graphic on Barnes’ spin rate over last four years. From a high in 2020, the results have plummeted in the last two years, as well as the velocity.  Bloom is holding onto Brasier, for the time being, he doesn’t have the spin either, but he can find the zone.  More important, Barnes is costing $7.5 and Brasier $2m.

As far as lefties, Sox have inquired about Zach Britain.  Also lefties Brandon Walter and Chris Murphy are available from AAA. Lefty Mesquita in AA, has an invite as NIL for spring camp.
Not to add salt in the wound, but we will still have to pay Barnes his $7.5M regardless. 

elktonnick

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on January 25, 2023, 08:10:29 AM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on January 25, 2023, 07:28:48 AM
saw a graphic on Barnes’ spin rate over last four years. From a high in 2020, the results have plummeted in the last two years, as well as the velocity.  Bloom is holding onto Brasier, for the time being, he doesn’t have the spin either, but he can find the zone.  More important, Barnes is costing $7.5 and Brasier $2m.

As far as lefties, Sox have inquired about Zach Britain.  Also lefties Brandon Walter and Chris Murphy are available from AAA. Lefty Mesquita in AA, has an invite as NIL for spring camp.
Not to add salt in the wound, but we will still have to pay Barnes his $7.5M regardless.

This sole fact calls into question, once again, Blooms baseball judgment and lack of strategic thinking since Bloom is the one who extended him.

longgame

Been in the hospital a bit but at least the docs focused on getting me better. If Bloom had been my doc I would have had medical students putting a used garden hose in the wrong place.

Cut Barnes and hope oft injured guys have miracle comebacks.  The moves are too hard to believe but I’ve been on heavy pain meds. 

elktonnick

If Bloom.had been in charge you would have been lucky to get  a med student.

longgame

I said to my son we are hate watching if at all. I want see blood. 

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on January 28, 2023, 05:30:18 PM
Been in the hospital a bit but at least the docs focused on getting me better. If Bloom had been my doc I would have had medical students putting a used garden hose in the wrong place.

Cut Barnes and hope oft injured guys have miracle comebacks.  The moves are too hard to believe but I’ve been on heavy pain meds.
Man, I hope you feel better,  out and hiking again soon!

Yeah, this has been another odd off-season.

markj

Quick recovery, Ted. Lots of hiking still to do.

SeaBeachFred

Ted, you take it easy and get well.  Hope you're starting to feel better.  We need all of us on board for support in what is shaping up to be possibly a problematic season for all Red Sox fans.

MongoLikeSox

A couple of weeks ago, I had applauded the Sox looking to more serviceable free agents when trying to plug a hole instead of bargain shopping. I think that might have been after the Duvall signing. I was premature with my accolades as that Taylor-Mondesi trade shows.

There. I feel better, admitting such a blunder. 

There are some in the press who are grading the Red Sox well for that trade. Only time will tell, of course. We will be hoping for something that has never happened - injury free(ish) season after he gets back. The Royals will be hoping for Taylor to pitch like he did in 2021 and 2019. Taylor laid an egg in 2020 and back-injury wash out of 2022.

Pumpsie Green

Quote from: elktonnick on January 20, 2023, 09:07:24 AM
Kudos to Bloom.  He has built a solid last place club.

Yes-but if they were in a different division.....oh wait....they AREN'T in a different division.
Never mind.

Sea Dog 23

Sox do a trade with Marlins for Matt Barnes + $1mil .  Boston gets LH reliever Richard Bleier.  In 2022 3.55 era, 1.44 whip. Career 3.06 era, 1.27 whip.  Bleier’s contract is $3.0m. We save about $4m, which might be recalculated.  He holds a dubious record for three balls to the same batter.

This pitcher is a ground ball, pitch to contact guy.  Does not walk anyone, they say.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on January 30, 2023, 02:19:05 PM
Sox do a trade with Marlins for Matt Barnes + $1mil .  Boston gets LH reliever Richard Bleier.  In 2022 3.55 era, 1.44 whip. Career 3.06 era, 1.27 whip.  Bleier’s contract is $3.0m. We save about $4m, which might be recalculated.  He holds a dubious record for three balls to the same batter.

This pitcher is a ground ball, pitch to contact guy.  Does not walk anyone, they say.
What's that record he holds?

So the Sox are back to the needing to dump/DFA someone mode.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on January 30, 2023, 02:32:37 PM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on January 30, 2023, 02:19:05 PM
Sox do a trade with Marlins for Matt Barnes + $1mil .  Boston gets LH reliever Richard Bleier.  In 2022 3.55 era, 1.44 whip. Career 3.06 era, 1.27 whip.  Bleier’s contract is $3.0m. We save about $4m, which might be recalculated.  He holds a dubious record for three (balks) to the same batter.

What's that record he holds?

So the Sox are back to the needing to dump/DFA someone mode.

Sorry, autocorrect changed ‘balks’ to balls.

“Richard Bleier (9/26/22 ) had a night to forget Tuesday night against the Mets in New York, making major league history as the only player since 1900 to balk three times in the same at-bat, according to Elias Sports Bureau.

Bleier, who opened the eighth inning in relief with the Marlins up 6-3, quickly retired his first two batters before allowing Jeff McNeil to reach on an infield single. With Pete Alonso at the plate, Bleier was called for a balk three times, allowing McNeil to come around to score.

"Words cannot describe what happened in that inning on my end," said Bleier, a seven-year veteran who hadn't been called for a balk in his first 303 big league appearances. "I

MongoLikeSox

Wow!  That's an impressive feat. None until that night and then three to Alonso. That's one of the great things about baseball. The little inexplicable oddities.