ALDS GAME #4 TUESDAY, OCTOBER 9, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT NY YANKEES

Started by longgame, October 09, 2018, 01:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

I'd give the save to Pearce, Geo. That stretch was super-human.

markj

And sending Sale in for the 8th was a stroke of genius for Cora. I suppose he couldn't leave him in to close without bending Kimbrel's nose out of shape. Plus another inning may have impacted his next start. Still, it was a good move.

As much as we trash the BP, they did well tonight except for Kimbrel, who almost folded like a cheap umbrella.

Kimbrella?

BoSoxFanNY

True -
The BULLPEN, EXCEPT Kimbrel in the last two games
came thru.
NO WALKS allowed tonight thru 8 innings - and then - Kimbrel walked 3
(2 walks and one hit by pitch)

I had major heart palpitations . . .

BoSoxFanNY

Yankee announcers said that the Sox found ways to score.

AND the Yankees only win when they hit home runs.
SOX pitchers were able to neutralize those home run bats

BoSoxFanNY

In this ALDS series -
the team that scored first won the game.

Schloicka

Quote from: markj on October 09, 2018, 11:01:35 PM
And sending Sale in for the 8th was a stroke of genius for Cora. I suppose he couldn't leave him in to close without bending Kimbrel's nose out of shape. Plus another inning may have impacted his next start. Still, it was a good move.

As much as we trash the BP, they did well tonight except for Kimbrel, who almost folded like a cheap umbrella.

Kimbrella?

I believe Sale was in to only pitch 1 inning because it was his between starts throwing day. If a couple guys had gotten on he would of come out quick. As far as Kimbrel goes your paying him the dollars to do a job and you just about have to give him the chance. More often then not he gets it done. He just likes to make it interesting.

Schloicka

Quote from: markj on October 09, 2018, 10:57:26 PM

Great stretch by Pearce but Nunez made an excellent play to get the slow roller and get it over there to where Pearce had a chance to make a play. Good play by Nunez and a great grab by Pearce.

elktonnick

Cora as much as I criticized him, managed this series brilliantly. Some one once said that managers don't win the players do.  While this may be literally true but in this series Cora did such an outstanding job he was as much as a factor in the Sox win as anyone.  He certainly out managed Aaron Boone.

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: markj on October 09, 2018, 10:57:26 PM
THANK YOU STEVE PEARCE!!!!!  AND Nunez!

BoSoxFanNY

SO - why do you think that Cora took Porcello out after 5 innings
and ONLY 65 pitches?

markj

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on October 09, 2018, 11:19:57 PM
and ONLY 65 pitches?

That was my question, and several others here. Didn't seem to make sense. But Cora has a different take on things that seems to work, so what can you say?

Schloicka

and ONLY 65 pitches?

I think it was because he had given up a double and a single in the 5th and a hard line out to center plus a run. Judge, DD and Stanton were coming up in the 6th and I believe Cora wanted them to see a different type of pitcher in Barnes who throws in the high 90's. Worked out well with 2 grounders to short and a pop up to 3rd.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on October 09, 2018, 08:44:14 PM
Cora needs to resist the temptation to pull Porcello even if he gives up another hit,

Ted, I was screaming on Cora in the 9th inning and hitting the TV every time they showed his face, but more on that on another thread.  Tonight he made the right decisions until the final inning.  Giving credit where credit is due, Alex hit the jackpot playing Nunez and Vazquez tonight and it payed off.  He also took Porcello out after five and with guts took a chance on part of his pen and got the Meatball and Brasier to throw two shutout innings before he went to Sale.  He did an excellent job running the team----until the ninth.

ipot

Quote from: Schloicka on October 09, 2018, 11:30:30 PM
and ONLY 65 pitches?

I think it was because he had given up a double and a single in the 5th and a hard line out to center plus a run. Judge, DD and Stanton were coming up in the 6th and I believe Cora wanted them to see a different type of pitcher in Barnes who throws in the high 90's. Worked out well with 2 grounders to short and a pop up to 3rd.

Hats off to Cora for tonight, I say.  He had a plan and, short of Kimbrel imploding (no manager can predict that), Barnes, Brasier, and Sale were outstanding.  He not only got the W but gave the pen a jolt of confidence.  Using Sale was definitely part of the plan if needed. 
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on October 09, 2018, 10:05:45 PM
Quote from: longgame on October 09, 2018, 09:56:02 PM
For some reason the Sox basically let him throw breaking balls for strikes all through that inning.  But that side of the plate where Beni K’d has been a strike for Yankee pitchers and a ball for Sox pitchers all night.

Angel Hernandez is the worst ump ever. You certainly can't trust him to be consistent and Beni should know that. That was paint and Beni should have been swinging.

Angel Hernandez should be fired forthwith.  He is a complete incompetent and he hold grudges going way back when.  The guy squeezed Porcello like an orange in the fifth inning, the rotten bastard, and made Rick throw more pitches than he needed to.