GAME #117, THURSDAY, AUGUST 9, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT TORONTO

Started by Bear, August 09, 2018, 06:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

I have to grin and bear it tonight whether I like it or not.  We still have a good lead and had won six in a row but why do I feel so out of it right now.  Spoiled?  Fearful of a slump?  Worried about the Yankees going on a tear?  All of the above?  Probably.  I just hate it when we lose a game. 

markj

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 09, 2018, 09:42:36 PM
I have to grin and bear it tonight whether I like it or not.  We still have a good lead and had won six in a row but why do I feel so out of it right now.  Spoiled?  Fearful of a slump?  Worried about the Yankees going on a tear?  All of the above?  Probably.  I just hate it when we lose a game. 

This is just a blip, Fred. Porcello had a rare bad game. Offense was still ok with 5 runs. No major defense problems. They'll bounce back and be fine.

Verlander had a bad night as well and got ejected. It happens.

ipot

I'm more ambivalent about Porcello.  He's had more than the "rare" bad game.  He had a run of 4-5 starts in May when he was mediocre to bad.  His last outing against Toronto he got tagged for 8 runs in 2 innings.

Porcello is the subject of a literary classic "A Tale Of Two Pitchers"
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bear

"A Tale of Two Pitchers" is right.  Pitches a complete game against the yankees and
can't do a thing right tonite.  It was better to sweep the New York yankees and mess
this one, IMO. sigh

Mookie Betts made the game interesting when he completed the "cycle"...Congrats Mookie.  thumb_u

Since we all know that Porcello can't win against the Blue Jays, I should think Cora would have replaced
him with another pitcher.  But that's me.

Bill-806

Quote from: Bear on August 10, 2018, 06:29:19 AM
"A Tale of Two Pitchers" is right.  Pitches a complete game against the yankees and
can't do a thing right tonite.  It was better to sweep the New York yankees and mess
this one, IMO. sigh

Mookie Betts made the game interesting when he completed the "cycle"...Congrats Mookie.  thumb_u

Since we all know that Porcello can't win against the Blue Jays, I should think Cora would have replaced
him with another pitcher.  But that's me.
B I N G O , BEAR !!!!  With the Sox DEEP pitching staff along with the DOD DAYS of AUGUST, Cora should/push the staff around as needed …….. As DAD would say, "SON, it's PITCHING, PITCHING, PITCHING" !!!  On to Baltimore, "lets clean up" !!!!   Also, as DAD would say, "SON, that MOOKIE BETTS reminds me of a YOUNG TED WILLIAMS" !!! thumb_u iono iono rofl rofl rofl

longgame

Quote from: ipot on August 09, 2018, 10:30:27 PM
I'm more ambivalent about Porcello.  He's had more than the "rare" bad game.  He had a run of 4-5 starts in May when he was mediocre to bad.  His last outing against Toronto he got tagged for 8 runs in 2 innings.

The rare game for Porcello is the good one without many bumps in it.  This one was lost from the start but especially when they came back and Porcello coughed up 3 more runs.  But they lost in spite of Mookie, you just knew he was going to hit a homer in that last at bat. 

A few people ragging on Leon.  The Sox are now 26-2 in his last 28 starts.  He's not in there for his offense which is fine when everyone else hits.

They need to sweep Baltimore though. 

ipot

Quote from: longgame on August 10, 2018, 07:54:26 AM
Quote from: ipot on August 09, 2018, 10:30:27 PM

The rare game for Porcello is the good one without many bumps in it.  This one was lost from the start but especially when they came back and Porcello coughed up 3 more runs.  But they lost in spite of Mookie, you just knew he was going to hit a homer in that last at bat. 

A few people ragging on Leon.  The Sox are now 26-2 in his last 28 starts.  He's not in there for his offense which is fine when everyone else hits.

They need to sweep Baltimore though.

I've got no problem with Leon.  These days, catchers hitting over 250 are a rarity to begin with. 

Porcello has always had one stat that is hard to ignore - even in good outings: his WHIP is high. I've been voicing my concerns about how effective he'll be in the playoffs. 

I'll try to look at the gas half-full and say TOR has his number, or a least they figured him out.  Let's hope they don't share the info.....
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee