7. Maikel Franco (R) 3B
8. Pat Valaika (R) 2B
9. Ryan McKenna (R) RF

Gametime Temp: 62°F
Chance of Precip: 1%

Sea Dog 23

How does Lopez do it?  Doubling as a TV star to a baseball god.   iono

SeaBeachFred

I just hope the Red Sox don't revert back to their recently "old ways" where four; wins in a row takes all the starch out of them and they go flat as a board.  Hopefully that nine game winning streak we had that first and second week of the season can show we can win more than four in a row.  So far so good but I still remember how diffident and sloppily we came out in 2019 when we couldn't maintain any winning streak we had (no more than four games at a time).  Nine in a row is almost out of the question but perhaps a few five and six game streaks can augment our start and maybe show this team is b etter than many of us feel it is.  For me, I still will not know about our Red Sox until at least the middle of June,  Well how about making it five in a row tonight and pick up a little ground in the AL East?  Every little bit helps.

Sea Dog 23

Lopez is holding us to one hit through 3.  Perez had a rough 2nd with a dinger and got out of a jam with a strikeout.  I hope the Sox are not taking a big breath tonight.

BoSoxFanNY

To me this is a bonus game -
Sox won the first three games.

Lopez kept them to one run - on a wild pitch and sac fly.

Martin Perez only allowed a solo home run.

Andriese allowed a solo home run and then another run in the bottom
of the 8th.  Valdez is in with men on first and second no outs.

Oh well . . .
Orioles 3 - Sox 1, so far.

I am good with 3 out of 4 from the Orioles.

BoSoxFanNY

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on May 10, 2021, 06:44:34 PM
Lopez is holding us to one hit through 3.  Perez had a rough 2nd with a dinger and got out of a jam with a strikeout.  I hope the Sox are not taking a big breath tonight.

Well we won three of four from the Orioles in their home park.  That is the good news, very good news I might add.  The bad news is that as you hinted the Sox looked like they were taking a big breath tonight----very low energy and miserable hitting with 11 strikeouts and only four hits.  This is very typical of the Red Sox since the beginning of the 2019 season as I hinted in an earlier missive this afternoon.  Not surprised at all by the results tonight.  The fear is this may carry over for the next four or five games because this has become the MO for the team.  Still in the last seven games we have won five of them.  Beware of the A's next.  They are resourceful and play tough plus the the fact that we have forgotten how to win on a regular basis at Fenway Park.  One thing I liked tonight was Cora going out there and yanking the shitty Andriesee out of the game.  This guy stunk with two teams last season, throws puss and in line with thee Brewers and Webers and Harts who we have gotten rid of (I hope), and Brice who unfortunately is still sucking it up for us.  Let's hope for better games than tonight in the A's series.

MongoLikeSox

SBFred, I remember you talking about the Sox on get-a-way days back a few years ago, prior to 2018. It is ugly stuff to watch sometimes. The one other thing that might add into it are the teams that do the thing Cora does, which is to create energy by placing emphasis on winning individual series. I like the idea but it does not help these getaway games some times. 

Bad on the Sox for anemic offense tonight, but kudos for Baltimore's guy with a near 6.00 ERA for acting like an ace and becoming a stopper for a night.

These next two weeks will tell us a lot. I fear it's falling out of tree time. We're still near the top for best record in baseball, but the A's, Angels, Blue Jays, Phillies and Braves coming up.

longgame

One of those nights you run into a pitcher who is doing well. Disappointed they couldn't get much going late either though.  Interesting tidbit, I think it was 11 games in a row between the Sox and O's that the home team lost until last night. 

I'm okay with the pattern so far - win about half the games for a stretch and then win a few in a row but I'd like to see them win regularly and sustainedly.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on May 11, 2021, 06:48:54 AM
SBFred, I remember you talking about the Sox on get-a-way days back a few years ago, prior to 2018. It is ugly stuff to watch sometimes. The one other thing that might add into it are the teams that do the thing Cora does, which is to create energy by placing emphasis on winning individual series. I like the idea but it does not help these getaway games some times. 

Bad on the Sox for anemic offense tonight, but kudos for Baltimore's guy with a near 6.00 ERA for acting like an ace and becoming a stopper for a night.

These next two weeks will tell us a lot. I fear it's falling out of tree time. We're still near the top for best record in baseball, but the A's, Angels, Blue Jays, Phillies and Braves coming up.

Cora's emphasis on winning a series is all fine and good, but that is what all teams preach.  The key is to sweep a few series in between and we haven't been too successful in that since 2018, save for that nine game winning streak after we opened with an 0-3 record.  We seem to show a lot of low energy in many of the games we play and I really thinkwe need a couple of  tough blue collar players that will exert leadership and pressure fin the dugout.  I really do not see a leader on the field and you can't call Verdugo that since he is in the outfield.  Last night was as low energy as you could get.  I hope we come out swinging tonight because the A's are a very tough team, and, again, we had better start winning more consistently at home.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on May 11, 2021, 03:18:29 PM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on May 11, 2021, 06:48:54 AM

Cora's emphasis on winning a series is all fine and good, but that is what all teams preach.  The key is to sweep a few series in between and we haven't been too successful in that since 2018, save for that nine game winning streak after we opened with an 0-3 record.  We seem to show a lot of low energy in many of the games we play and I really thinkwe need a couple of  tough blue collar players that will exert leadership and pressure fin the dugout.  I really do not see a leader on the field and you can't call Verdugo that since he is in the outfield.  Last night was as low energy as you could get.  I hope we come out swinging tonight because the A's are a very tough team, and, again, we had better start winning more consistently at home.
I'm sure it wasn't Cora's idea, but yes, all the teams are doing it now, from what I understand. need something I guess. They don't all hate each other like they used to. It's funny to hear Eck and Remy get on the players nowadays for using manners and such.  ;D