Author Topic: Re: Sox sign Renfroe  (Read 677 times)

Offline Sea Dog 23

Re: Sox sign Renfroe
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2021, 01:51:32 PM »
John Morosi tweeted that the Braves are looking for a left fielder.  Coming up short on Ozuna, they could be in the Beni talks, offering Inciarte for CF and one of their pitching prospects like Newcombe.

As far as 2B,

Yahoo Sports reports that the Red Sox were one of the few teams that inquired about 2B DJ LeMahieu early in the offseason. LeMahieu has instructed his agent to reach back to the Red Sox and others to see if they can get a deal done.

1:32 PM ∑ Jan 11, 2021

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2021, 02:32:59 PM »
John Morosi tweeted that the Braves are looking for a left fielder.  Coming up short on Ozuna, they could be in the Beni talks, offering Inciarte for CF and one of their pitching prospects like Newcombe.

As far as 2B,

Yahoo Sports reports that the Red Sox were one of the few teams that inquired about 2B DJ LeMahieu early in the offseason. LeMahieu has instructed his agent to reach back to the Red Sox and others to see if they can get a deal done.

LeMahieu?????  I'm not going tp give this another second of my time Sea Dog because I know what impossible means and this is one of them.  I would give my left pinkie if we could sign that guy for four years because we'd be getting perhaps the best hitter in baseball, a solid second baseman, a proven leader and one who could play other positions when he gets to old to play second base.  He plays everywhere and could play into his 40's.  What's not to like?  Well I didn't like this post you printed because, again, I know of an impossibility when I see  it.  Too bad though; I'd love to see our team get him.

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2021, 02:59:17 PM »

As far as 2B,

LeMahieu?????  I'm not going tp give this another second of my time Sea Dog because I know what impossible means and this is one of them.  I would give my left pinkie if we could sign that guy for four years because we'd be getting perhaps the best hitter in baseball, a solid second baseman, a proven leader and one who could play other positions when he gets to old to play second base.  He plays everywhere and could play into his 40's.  What's not to like?  Well I didn't like this post you printed because, again, I know of an impossibility when I see  it.  Too bad though; I'd love to see our team get him.

Fred, you're spot on about DJ.  It's just too logical for a Bloom type deal.  If Dombrowski were still calling shots, he'd be signed this week for 5/$20m.  It would  be a great move as we're down to two star players in Devers and Bogey (an opt out after this year?), maybe three with Verdugo.  JDMs days are numbered I think.. But this is not a Bloom move, not this year.  I think he and the Dodgers are a match at 3B.

Offline longgame

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2021, 08:54:25 AM »
Agreed, they need to replace JDM and the funny part is that's the range that Lamaheiu is looking for. 

Also, the Sox passed (probably were "second" again") on Liam Hendricks. 

I wonder who they won't get next?  iono

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2021, 08:02:10 AM »
An MLB exec thinks Beni's trade will be finalized as early as this weekend.  As a conceivable basis for this rather rapid development, I saw this explanation,

" i wonder if people aren't taking into account Bloom's plans to integrate Duran into the 26 man this year.  That alone may be  impetus to a Benintendi trade.  Duran will be 25 yo this year, has shown his abilities for a couple of years, and by those metrics he would normally be ready for MLB.  He may have satisfied Cora's standards by his showing in the P.R. winter league."

Maybe the after the fact Beni plug-in is FA Rosario (Twins)?  By scheduling Duran for CF by July if season is delayed,  they could sign Pillar to a cheap $2-3m deal early on and rely on the Beni trade to yield a back end rotation starter and a AA/AAA pitching prospect.  Theres some thought that the money saved in the Beni deal by not chasing JBJ for example, will allow for more in Odorizzi's contract offer.  Covid has added many other standards this year, less revenues for player contracts, delayed season probably.  Unfortunately on the other hand the epidemic has truncated the development of our prospects like Duran, Casas, Downs.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 08:45:48 AM by Sea Dog 23 »

Offline longgame

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2021, 09:00:13 AM »
I saw something yesterday basically saying that Bloom has all sorts of deals he's working and they should all come together soon.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2021, 03:07:07 PM »
An MLB exec thinks Beni's trade will be finalized as early as this weekend.  As a conceivable basis for this rather rapid development, I saw this explanation,

" i wonder if people aren't taking into account Bloom's plans to integrate Duran into the 26 man this year.  That alone may be  impetus to a Benintendi trade.  Duran will be 25 yo this year, has shown his abilities for a couple of years, and by those metrics he would normally be ready for MLB.  He may have satisfied Cora's standards by his showing in the P.R. winter league."

Maybe the after the fact Beni plug-in is FA Rosario (Twins)?  By scheduling Duran for CF by July if season is delayed,  they could sign Pillar to a cheap $2-3m deal early on and rely on the Beni trade to yield a back end rotation starter and a AA/AAA pitching prospect.  Theres some thought that the money saved in the Beni deal by not chasing JBJ for example, will allow for more in Odorizzi's contract offer.  Covid has added many other standards this year, less revenues for player contracts, delayed season probably.  Unfortunately on the other hand the epidemic has truncated the development of our prospects like Duran, Casas, Downs.

Any plan Bloom is working must have NO PLACE FOR JACKIE BRADLEY.  TO INCLUDE HIM IN OUR RETOOLING IS TEELING ME HAVE  HAVE LEARNED NOTHING FROM OUR RECENT PERSONNEL MISTAKES AND BLUNDERS. 

The money saved from avoiding Bradley with a contract that could cost us $10 million for a shitty hitter could; be better used to us getting TWO starting pitchers for this season, hopefully those two young enough to give us their services for three years or so.  To trade Benintendi but keeping Bradley is like trying to take a bath with their clothes on.  Bradley MUST GO!!!!!  His time is Boston should have been up a year ago.

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2021, 08:30:17 AM »
I saw something yesterday basically saying that Bloom has all sorts of deals he's working and they should all come together soon.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Bloom I'm afraid will sign a lot of no-name to be the depth element for the new Sox.  One of the possibles for a Beni deal is Mickey Moniak (from Phillies).  Not a glamorous name for sure.

There are some other names to add.  Baseball America expects additional international players signed by Boston on Friday, to include,

Abrahan Liendo, SS, Venez.
Armando Sierra, SS, D.R.
Yeziel Burnet, RHP, Curaco

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2021, 06:54:26 AM »
The Kluber sweepstakes is underway.  Yes, he and his wife haveMass. area roots, but the early sentiment sees him cashing in his chips for his first big money contract.  So Bloom could be another bridesmaid.

Meanwhile Dombrowski has been in Philly about three weeks and already dealt for three pitchers this week, including reliever Archie Bradley.  However the Phils' needs are finite, whereas Bloom has to address several holes in his lineup.

Whatever they do for the big club this weekend, the Sox today are busy signing from the international market.  The identified players,

Miguel Bleis, of, Dominican Republic
Enderso Lira, c, Venezuela
Luis Ravelo, ss, Dominican Republic
Alvaro Mejias, rhp, Venezuela
Peyton Nunez, lhp, Dominican Republic
Abrahan Liendo, ss, Venezuela
Armando Sierra, of, Dominican Republic
Josue Castillo, ss, Dominican Republic
Karim Ayubi, of, Curacao
Yevganni Reinita, ss, Curacao
Yeziel Burnet, rhp, Curacao
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 08:26:07 AM by Sea Dog 23 »

Offline longgame

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2021, 09:34:30 AM »
I'm hopeful the LeMahieu lowball signing will bring players into the range the apparently very poor Red Sox live in. 

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2021, 11:15:36 AM »
The Kluber sweepstakes is underway.  Yes, he and his wife haveMass. area roots, but the early sentiment sees him cashing in his chips for his first big money contract.  So Bloom could be another bridesmaid.

Meanwhile Dombrowski has been in Philly about three weeks and already dealt for three pitchers this week, including reliever Archie Bradley.  However the Phils' needs are finite, whereas Bloom has to address several holes in his lineup.

Whatever they do for the big club this weekend, the Sox today are busy signing from the international market.  The identified players,

Miguel Bleis, of, Dominican Republic
Enderso Lira, c, Venezuela
Luis Ravelo, ss, Dominican Republic
Alvaro Mejias, rhp, Venezuela
Peyton Nunez, lhp, Dominican Republic
Abrahan Liendo, ss, Venezuela
Armando Sierra, of, Dominican Republic
Josue Castillo, ss, Dominican Republic
Karim Ayubi, of, Curacao
Yevganni Reinita, ss, Curacao
Yeziel Burnet, rhp, Curacao

I think we're going to become the poster team for being bridesmaids.  Until the media and press in Boston take to Prune Face with a hammer, sword and hatchet he will try  to win on   the cheap....and it will not work as it did in 2013.  Instead we will hope that group of Latin American ballplayers will have two or three players who emerge as potential contributers, though most of them will be back home within a year or two.

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2021, 11:20:26 AM »
I'm hopeful the LeMahieu lowball signing will bring players into the range the apparently very poor Red Sox live in.

The Red Sox being a poor team is an indictment of owner John Henry who seems determined to lowball his way into another disastrous season like 2012, 2014 and 2015.....and that is what could happen if he doesn't realize those TV ratings and  ticket sales will continue to plummet unless he gets of his lazy ass and starts understanding that being cheap in a big market and baseball crazy city is just not going to cut it.  I wonder if he has lost his shirt in this pandemic because he is acting more and more every day like the cheap bastard he was back in those dark days earlier in the last decade.

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2021, 11:20:58 AM »
One of the supposed stars in today's ignings,

The Red Sox have reportedly reached an agreement with one of the most athletic prospects in this year's international class.

According to MLB.com and Baseball America, the Red Sox have reached a $1.5 million agreement with right-handed outfielder Miguel Bleis. The 16-year-old native of the Dominican Republic is considered a consensus top-20 prospect in this year's class. He's 6-foot-3 and 175 pounds, with a projectable frame that suggests plus tools across the board.

Baseball America describes him as one of the top athletes in the class, "(with) a sleek, athletic frame with high physical upside." MLB.com, meanwhile, raves that he's one of the biggest and strongest players on the market, but also blessed with an advanced approach at the plate.

"Bleis has a plan once he steps into the batter's box with a feel for the strike zone and it shows," MLB.com wrote.

From Instagram video.

https://www.instagram.com/p/By-wjjiAnr3/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 01:26:17 PM by Sea Dog 23 »

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2021, 01:47:14 PM »
It's time for Sox to make a big splash,  or NOT.  Some thinking a deal could come by next Monday.

John Morosi:  Corey Kluber talks are intensifying and there is an increasing likelihood that he will sign with an @MLB team by Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Kluberís throwing session this week was well-attended by team execs and scouts.

Maybe there's a Brantley deal for LF (platoon with Renfroe ?) ?  Rosario seems to be the other plan.  Why are they talking to ss Simian?

Chris Cotillo on the rest of the Sox shopping list,

* Expected to attend P Julio Teheran's showcase next week
* Relievers on the radar include Hand, Giles, Soria and Doolittle
* In market for a first baseman/someone to provide Dalbec insurance. LHH likely.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 06:25:18 PM by Sea Dog 23 »

Offline longgame

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2021, 12:43:28 PM »
They're really great at signing teenage prospects and bat-off-the-bench types.  Actual MLB guys though?  They seem to be afraid of getting someone good who the fans would like and they'd just have to trade in a few years.

John Henry needs to realize that the one competitive advantage he has over every team other than the Yankees is a fan base that will throw money at you if you win and that money is what makes the world turn in MLB.  If you're worried about spending too much, maybe pro sports ownership isn't your thing.