Author Topic: How David Price opting out of 2020 season impacts Red Sox, MLB  (Read 1141 times)

Offline longgame

• Administrator
Re: How David Price opting out of 2020 season impacts Red Sox, MLB
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2020, 08:47:15 AM »
Today Sox added pitcher Dylan Covey that was with Tampa Rays.  Terms not yet disclosed.  He was added to the 60 man player pool.  Also Bobby Poyner was dropped from the 60 man, but will remain with the organization.

Covey was 6-29 with a 6.54 ERA in three seasons with the White Sox. Split time between the rotation and bullpen. 5.18 ERA in 33 innings as a reliever.

https://twitter.com/RedSox/status/1285686074384306181?s=20

Sounds like we signed another winner Sea Dog----NOT.  But you guys are right, this is a development year and we must try out some new prospects and befinally prepared to say adios to some of our people who simply have nevermeasured up as Major League hitters----you know who I mean.  One of my closest friends, Fred Repke is a major scout for the TB Rays, signer of Longoria and many other top notch Rays prospects.  He called me today and told me straight out that aChaim Bloom is going to make the Red Sox a class of the league within two or three years, getting rid of the driftwood and building a real standout team and backed by lots of Red Sox money.  That is, if Henry, Werner and sneaky Lucchino (who is still lurking around) leave him be to do his work.  Knowing my pal Fred and his knowledge of baseball it made my day and me hope for the 20's.

Bloom certainly has found some good players in TB and has done so on the cheap.  The Sox have done well in developing position players, the Rays have done a very good job of developing pitchers.  But someone needs to find the magic formula to keep the better guy and/or get more in value for them.  Let's hope Bloom knows how to do this within Henry's parameters. 

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2020, 09:39:05 PM »
The only parameters of Henry that I want to hear is his spending his billions on getting us a solid manager, outstanding coaches, stand out players and staying he hell out of Chaim Bloom's way to let him do the job he was hired for.

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2020, 05:26:09 AM »
 Newcomer Zack Godley got three innings agaonst the Blue Jays in the rain-shortened 4 1/2-inning game, a 2-0 loss for the Red Sox. He finished without allowing a hit, tallying two strikeouts and one walk. Of the 35 pitches Godley threw, 24 of them were strikes.

He had multiple pitches working, and most importantly, as noted by Red Sox manager Ron Roenicke, Godley was hitting the strike zone.

“I thought it really important to see Godley out there and get his three innings, and really good innings, so that was nice to see,” Roenicke said, as seen on NESN’s “Extra Innings Live.”

“Certainly threw strikes better. He’s got really good stuff. His fastball moves. He’s got a great curveball and it’s just about him throwing strikes and being in the zone. The other day when we saw him for the two innings, wasn’t in the zone as much. Today, in the zone,” Roenicke continued. “His ball-strike ratio was really good."

But Brian Johnson was his old self.  Gave up a blast to Vlad Guerero over the Monster and got hit hard on the outs hs got.

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2020, 12:19:03 PM »
Newcomer Zack Godley got three innings agaonst the Blue Jays in the rain-shortened 4 1/2-inning game, a 2-0 loss for the Red Sox. He finished without allowing a hit, tallying two strikeouts and one walk. Of the 35 pitches Godley threw, 24 of them were strikes.

He had multiple pitches working, and most importantly, as noted by Red Sox manager Ron Roenicke, Godley was hitting the strike zone.

“I thought it really important to see Godley out there and get his three innings, and really good innings, so that was nice to see,” Roenicke said, as seen on NESN’s “Extra Innings Live.”

“Certainly threw strikes better. He’s got really good stuff. His fastball moves. He’s got a great curveball and it’s just about him throwing strikes and being in the zone. The other day when we saw him for the two innings, wasn’t in the zone as much. Today, in the zone,” Roenicke continued. “His ball-strike ratio was really good."

But Brian Johnson was his old self.  Gave up a blast to Vlad Guerero over the Monster and got hit hard on the outs hs got.

Godley was a pleasant surprise even though we wouind up losing our two "practice" games to a team without a home field to play on.  That doesn't auger well for us as we start the real season today, and may I add that Brian Johnson is still a total shit pile who hasn't a good fastball, cannot spot it for effectiveness, and can't control his curve which makes this bum a candidate for getting mashed every time he steps on the field.  I thought he has been DFA'd once and for all, but, no, he is back to pollute our pitching staff.  So help me, I saw this guy close up last August in San Diego and he was throwing meat up to the plate.  He got smashed the first three batters he faced, a double, single and home run, and proceeded to ruin my Sunday and the Red Soxchances to sweep a three game series.  How about opening up tonight with a win?   We should at least be able to play well at Fenway, something we didn't do all that well last season.  I don't expect a WS Title, nor a division crown, but, Good God, I don't want to see a replica of the 2012-2015 dark days of three last place finishes.

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2020, 12:22:33 PM »
Fred, neither Godley or BJohnson made the opening roster, but surprisingly Covey did.   Maybe RR screwed up, or maybe this writer!

30 man Opening Day Roster

Pitchers (15) Matt Barnes, Ryan Brasier, Colten Brewer, Austin Brice, Dylan Covey, Nathan Eovaldi, Matt Hall, Heath Hembree, Josh Osich, Martín Pérez, Jeffrey Springs, Phillips Valdez, Marcus Walden, Ryan Weber, Brandon Workman

CATCHERS (3): Jonathan Lucroy, Kevin Plawecki, Christian Vázquez

INFIELDERS (7): Jonathan Araúz, Xander Bogaerts, Michael Chavis, Rafael Devers, Tzu-Wei Lin, Mitch Moreland, José Peraza

OUTFIELDERS (5): Andrew Benintendi, Jackie Bradley Jr., J.D. Martinez, Kevin Pillar, Alex Verdugo

INJURED LIST

PITCHERS (4): Darwinzon Hernandez, Eduardo Rodriguez. Taylor, Sale
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 01:12:12 PM by Sea Dog 23 »

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2020, 03:23:04 PM »
 Geez, a setback for ERod.  He has been shutdown for at least a week.  Felt out if gas after his last three bullpen outings.  /Yahoo Sports

"Roenicke said he'll be shut down for a week, but added that he's confident the 19-game winner will pitch this year.

"It's a mild case, but it's still serious enough to where we feel like to do the right thing with our players and to take care of them, this is a decision our doctors and Chaim (Bloom) and his crew and all of us have come up with," Roenicke said. "So it backs him off from being active and on the field and being able to be part of our staff. It's disappointing to him, obviously."

Offline Murph

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2020, 04:18:31 PM »
Rob Bradford
@bradfo
·
3h
Roenicke says Red Sox discovered some 'minor complications' with E-Rod. Shutting down from baseball activities for now.

Like they needed another reason why they won`t come close to 500

Offline markj

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2020, 06:50:25 PM »
This is the ongoing danger of Covid-19. You can survive it initially, but we're still finding out about long term complications. And even those aren't consistent with everyone. I just hope bringing back baseball this year doesn't ruin any promising careers.
Worst => First => Worst => Worst => ALE Champs => ALE Champs =>First

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2020, 08:21:57 PM »
Quite a few pitchers scratched from MLB games, but besides ERod, NYY's Chapman,  the others have back and bone issues ...some notables McHugh, Kershaw, Odorizzi, Quintana, Hamels, O's Blach, Zimmermann, Severino, Syndergard, Stroman, Cahill.  Quite a few more on IL
 Tanaka out with a concussion. 

I can't quite remember so many players on the IL and now bouts with covid.  A tough year for pitchers to get themselves ready.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 08:44:26 PM by Sea Dog 23 »

Offline BoSoxFanNY

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2020, 02:52:46 PM »
This is the ongoing danger of Covid-19. You can survive it initially, but we're still finding out about long term complications. And even those aren't consistent with everyone. I just hope bringing back baseball this year doesn't ruin any promising careers.

AGREE.
A player may have minor symptoms of COVID 19 - but, the doctors do not know the long term
 health issues after "recovery" of the virus.  Heart issues, lung issues, stamina.
MLB is playing with fire . . .

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2020, 10:36:22 PM »
I think baseball had better be on top of this pandemic as much as they can because this is very serious stuff.  Many players have been hit by it and we still haven't been able to bring this under control.  If more and more players wind up contracting this virus baseball would be wise to consider shutting it  down even though most of us are thirsting for baseball.  Health and safety and, most important, LIFE and HEALTH are much more important.

Offline longgame

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2020, 12:05:49 PM »
If nothing else it's a grand experiment.  We have baseball which has travel from city to city but in limited contact.  We have basketball in a bubble but I could see a virus ripping through that situation like wildfire if it gets out due to the close contact in the game.  NHL and MLS also in a bubble but less constant close in contact like in NBA.   NFL is coming up in a month or so but I see that as even more problematic with so many guys and really don't get college sports where they aren't having in person classes but seem to think it's important to have student athletes show up and entertain us.

Some other interesting data points.  NASCAR is held in huge tracks and they've been successful to having up to 5000 people at a race.  I've watched some rugby and Australian Rules Football and they have some fans in the crowd too.  That may be the best we can hope for by next year I would think - limited attendance for outdoor sporting events.