Author Topic: MLB reconsiders bubble plan, closes all 30 spring training sites after coronavi  (Read 431 times)

Offline Murph

MLB reconsiders bubble plan, closes all 30 spring training sites after coronavirus surge

Mark TownsendYahoo Sports Contributor,Yahoo Sports•June 20, 2020

Major League Baseball officials have been forced to reconsider plans surrounding a potential return in 2020 after several positive COVID-19 tests impacted the league on Friday.

As first reported by the Wall Street Journal’s Jared Diamond and Ben Cohen, MLB’s previously considered “bubble” plan for the 2020 season is back on the table. We’ve also learned that MLB is temporarily shutting down all spring training facilities in Florida and Arizona.

The revelation comes after 11 players on 40-man rosters from seven different teams tested positive for COVID-19 during the month of June. Of those seven teams tested, two are based in Texas, four train in Florida and the other team holds spring training in Arizona. That’s noteworthy since those three states were previously considered as host sites in a potential bubble league where several teams would converge in one central area.

Now, the league may be eyeing Southern California as a possible destination for all 30 teams.

From The Wall Street Journal:

This person familiar with baseball’s thinking said that MLB could look at Southern California as a potential site. The region has three MLB stadiums—Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, Angel Stadium in Anaheim and Petco Park in San Diego—as well as several colleges with quality ballparks. It’s still unclear whether the “bubble” plan will become serious enough for the league to broach with the union.

Money has been the focus of recent discussions between MLB and the MLB players association, but concerns about health and safety issues have remained prominent in anticipation of a second wave of coronavirus cases. Earlier this week, Dr. Anthony Fauci advised MLB to plan on its ending season — postseason included — by the end of September, in order to curb risks associated with a second wave.

MLB close spring training sites
Unfortunately. MLB is already seeing a spike of cases within its own ranks, and it has come well before any attempt to restart a full-fledged training camp.

That development led to the shutdown of all 30 spring training facilities for deep a cleaning and a reassessment of protocols.

Bob Nightengale

@BNightengale
Major League Baseball will close all spring training sites in Arizona and Florida for deep cleaning and will not permit players or staff members until they pass a COVID-19 test.

Earlier on Friday we learned that at least five Philadelphia Phillies players have tested positive. That led the Phillies and the Toronto Blue Jays to close their Florida training facilities immediately. The San Francisco Giants quickly followed also closed their Scottsdale, Ariz. facility after a person who had been at the facility and a family member exhibited COVID-19 symptoms. The Astros also confirmed one of their players tested positive.

The Los Angeles Angels, whose home ballpark would host games if the talked about bubble plan is implemented, learned two players tested positive on Friday.

Camps had slowly started reopening in late May. Though as Sherman noted, those reopenings came without strict guidelines or protocols in place. At this point, the league is looking at a complete re-evaluation that may ultimately determine how feasible a safe return to the field will be in 2020.

Mets, Yankees to hold spring training in New York
With uncertainty everywhere in baseball right now, teams were already making alternate plans. Count the New York teams among them.

As Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Saturday, if the MLB season happens, both the Mets and Yankees will hold spring training at their respective home ballparks.

Andrew Cuomo

@NYGovCuomo
As we wait on a decision from the @MLB on the baseball season, I'm excited to announce that the @Yankees and the @Mets will resume their training here in New York for the first time in years.

NY will review the teams' plans to make sure the trainings are safe.

That announcement came shortly the New York Post reported four Yankees’ employees based in Tampa, Fla. tested positive for COVID-19. Two members work at George M. Steinbrenner Field and two have ties to the nearby minor league complex, according to the report.

The Red Sox also plan on moving their spring training to Boston, according to team president Sam Kennedy.

Pete Abraham

@PeteAbe
Sam Kennedy tells me Red Sox will have their resumption of spring training in Boston.

According to USA Today’s Bob Nightengale, it’s expected that all 30 teams will ultimately hold spring training at their home ballparks barring a league mandated change.

It’s the latest reminder that baseball has more than one problem it needs to figure out before getting back on the field for 2020.

Offline Murph

This is becoming a total joke. Putting baseball ahead of keeping players safe is ridiculous. Is a 50-60 game season even worth watching? Records will be meaningless along with a WSC accompanied by an asterisk.

Offline SeaBeachFred

This is becoming a total joke. Putting baseball ahead of keeping players safe is ridiculous. Is a 50-60 game season even worth watching? Records will be meaningless along with a WSC accompanied by an asterisk.

Agreed Murph but I don't think the powers-that-be give what con cerned fans really think.  The bottom line has and always will be moneu and greed.  The season should be shit-canned in 2020, and that goew for football and basketball too.  But, hell, what to I know?

Offline longgame

• Administrator
There were a couple of columns in the paper today, one by Bill Plaschke out in LA about how it's ridiculous we're even talking about sports and the other specifically about baseball but I don't remember by whom (and of course finding an article printed in the paper and then finding the same one online are next impossible so I didn't link them).  Anyhow, the latter one went on about not only would this be a ridiculous season in terms of games played and then some sort of expanded playoffs, but there would be different rules in effect.   I've said all along that any season this year would be an exhibition season.  MLB should declare such.  Imagine if the Houston Astros get off to a hot start in a 60 day season.

Offline Sea Dog 23

The players exec.committee cast their vote, 33-5 against the MLB 60 game deal. Looks like It's down to a season -imposed restart by the commish, if that ever gets off the ground.  I say,  no bueno. 

Update, At about 6:00 tonight the players union expressed sorrow they could not reach agreement, but deferred to the owners to issue a schedule and players would seek agreement on the health protocols.  (my paraphrase)  It's on I -Phone twitter.
**However 75% of the owners must vote in favor of the new schedule.  Later said owners voted unanimous, except asking answers on a DH ruling and playoff structure.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1275186937222123521?s=20

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1275190839984246784?s=20
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 07:53:21 PM by Sea Dog 23 »

Offline longgame

• Administrator
At this point I'm not sure what the players want other than to be paid a full salary for 2 months of play.  The owners have offered a pro-rated pay.  What the owners make is immaterial.  They are employees.  The alternative is they get nothing.  I'm getting tired of, as Bill Clinton said during labor stoppage when he was President, a couple hundred people arguing over a few billion dollars.

Offline Sea Dog 23

At this point I'm not sure what the players want other than to be paid a full salary for 2 months of play.  The owners have offered a pro-rated pay.  What the owners make is immaterial.  They are employees.  The alternative is they get nothing.  I'm getting tired of, as Bill Clinton said during labor stoppage when he was President, a couple hundred people arguing over a few billion dollars.

The two things owners were looking for yesterday actually, was 1) would the players accept the health protocols and 2) would they agree to report to training camp July 1.  How the players respond to those questions will say a lot about how they feel this week.  The answers have a 5:00 deadline today. 

How they feel about getting to the 2021 season and the CBA later on may be the moral equivalent of wartime.

Offline longgame

• Administrator

The two things owners were looking for yesterday actually, was 1) would the players accept the health protocols and 2) would they agree to report to training camp July 1.  How the players respond to those questions will say a lot about how they feel this week.  The answers have a 5:00 deadline today. 

How they feel about getting to the 2021 season and the CBA later on may be the moral equivalent of wartime.

So they're on but I'm getting conflicted news on rule changes and whether they are in or not. 

Players really blew it IMHO, they could have had a better deal earlier a month ago and be playing.  Now they will only make a few millions dollars and no playoff pool - poor guys, they may have to stick to one lobster in their surf and turf.

Offline Sea Dog 23

Great news for Remy.  He doesn't need to be anywhere near the ballpark.

NESN plans to have analysts Jerry Remy and Dennis Eckersley call all 60 Red Sox games remotely from its studio in Watertown this season, play-by-play announcer Dave O’Brien told Chad Finn of the Boston Globe. TV announcers are allowed to attend home games, but it appears NESN will have its three-man booth work remotely for the entire season.

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2020/06/boston-red-sox-broadcasters-jerry-remy-dennis-eckersley-expected-to-call-all-60-games-remotely-from-nesn-studio-report.html
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:37:43 AM by Sea Dog 23 »

Offline longgame

• Administrator

NESN plans to have analysts Jerry Remy and Dennis Eckersley call all 60 Red Sox games remotely from its studio in Watertown this season, play-by-play announcer Dave O’Brien told Chad Finn of the Boston Globe. TV announcers are allowed to attend home games, but it appears NESN will have its three-man booth work remotely for the entire season.

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2020/06/boston-red-sox-broadcasters-jerry-remy-dennis-eckersley-expected-to-call-all-60-games-remotely-from-nesn-studio-report.html

Makes sense, at minimum why expose them to travel, plus at home games it just adds to the burden of testing and managing people.  I know they've been doing NASCAR remotely and the golf yesterday had only a few people on the course and the rest done remotely. 

Offline SeaBeachFred

Makes sense, at minimum why expose them to travel, plus at home games it just adds to the burden of testing and managing people.  I know they've been doing NASCAR remotely and the golf yesterday had only a few people on the course and the rest done remotely.

Baseball just can't too careful.  If a Covid-19 outbreak should hit baseball players and coaches during ST one can only imagine if someone high up in the heirarchy will propose to just barfcan the season.  As I told Murph in another thread, I'LL BELIEVE WE HAVE BASEBALL WHEN I SEE IT ON THE TUBE WITH MY OWN EYES.

Offline Sea Dog 23

Today two of the Wash Nats opted out of the season, Zimmerman and Joe Ross ( for underlying health reasons too risky for Covid)  Also a DBacks pitcher.

Offline Murph

Today two of the Wash Nats opted out of the season, Zimmerman and Joe Ross ( for underlying health reasons too risky for Covid)  Also a DBacks pitcher.

There will be many more that know that health and family are more important than a game.