Author Topic: Kevin Pillar  (Read 293 times)

Offline Sea Dog 23

Re: Kevin Pillar
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 03:27:22 PM »
Pillar may be more important for the short term.
Globe report that Verdugo is ailing and might miss the start of the season with his back issues.

Can Cesar Puelo remember how he was a fleeting star at LAA? May see JDM taking some spot duty in RF.

https://nesn.com/2020/02/new-red-sox-outfielder-alex-verdugo-reportedly-might-miss-start-of-season/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 04:49:40 PM by Sea Dog 23 »

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 05:42:03 PM »
Kevin Pillar, Boston Red Sox agree to one-year contract in $4M range; right-handed hitter should complement 3 left-handed hitting outfielders
Updated 3:23 PM; Today 3:08 PM

Comment
By Christopher Smith | csmith@masslive.com
FORT MYERS, Fla. ó The Red Sox have agreed to a one-year contract in the $4 million range with outfielder Kevin Pillar, a source confirmed to MassLive.comís Chris Cotillo.

The Boston Globeís Alex Speier first reported the news.

The 31-year-old batted .259 with a .287 on-base percentage, .432 slugging percentage, .719 OPS, 21 homers, 37 doubles, three triples and 88 RBIs in 161 games last year between the Blue Jays and Giants.

He slashed .261/.298/.398/.696 in 690 games for Toronto from 2013-18.

Heís known as a strong defensive outfielder. He has posted a 60 DRS (Defensive Runs Saves) during his career, although last year he recorded a negative-3 DRS, per Fangraphs.com. He has started 705 games in center field during his career.

A right-handed hitter, Pillar should nicely complement outfielders Jackie Bradley Jr., Alex Verdugo and Andrew Benintendi, who all hit from the left side. Pillar posted an .823 OPS against lefties last year. He has a career .281/.313/.453/.766 line vs. left-handed pitchers.

Well Murph, two things happened to change all that and it happened today.  We got word that Alex Verdugo's back is still acting up on him and now we hear he may not be ready for the start of the regular season even though he says he will. Well his back bothered him last August and curtailed his season and he is still not mended?  I mean where the hell was the much maligned (for close to two decades) medical staff when they gave him his physical?  Did they do another misdiagnoses again like so many other times?  Now we hear that Sale comes to ST with pneumona and Pedroia isn't ready to work out.  The latter is no surprise; the guy is through and though sad to say, Henry has to move on from him.  He cannot play any more.  HIs knee is shot and all those operations haven't mended it at all.  What next afte Sale, Verdugo and Pedroia-----a tsunami and earthquake rolling over Feneway Park?  This organization had better get its shit together and fast.  We went through a cycle like this from late 2011 through 2015.  We do not need another one.

Offline elktonnick

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 07:19:33 PM »
Pillar may be more important for the short term.
Globe report that Verdugo is ailing and might miss the start of the season with his back issues.

Can Cesar Puelo remember how he was a fleeting star at LAA? May see JDM taking some spot duty in RF.

https://nesn.com/2020/02/new-red-sox-outfielder-alex-verdugo-reportedly-might-miss-start-of-season/

I never liked the Verdugo acquisition from the outset.  The more I hear the less I like it.

Offline elktonnick

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 07:22:02 PM »
Kevin Pillar, Boston Red Sox agree to one-year contract in $4M range; right-handed hitter should complement 3 left-handed hitting outfielders

Comment
FORT MYERS, Fla. ó The Red Sox have agreed to a one-year contract in the $4 million range with outfielder Kevin Pillar, a source confirmed to MassLive.comís Chris Cotillo.

The 31-year-old batted .259 with a .287 on-base percentage, .432 slugging percentage, .719 OPS, 21 homers, 37 doubles, three triples and 88 RBIs in 161 games last year between the Blue Jays and Giants.

Heís known as a strong defensive outfielder. He has posted a 60 DRS (Defensive Runs Saves) during his career, although last year he recorded a negative-3 DRS, per Fangraphs.com. He has started 705 games in center field during his career.

A right-handed hitter, Pillar should nicely complement outfielders Jackie Bradley Jr., Alex Verdugo and Andrew Benintendi, who all hit from the left side. Pillar posted an .823 OPS against lefties last year. He has a career .281/.313/.453/.766 line vs. left-handed pitchers.

Well Murph, two things happened to change all that and it happened today.  We got word that Alex Verdugo's back is still acting up on him and now we hear he may not be ready for the start of the regular season even though he says he will. Well his back bothered him last August and curtailed his season and he is still not mended?  I mean where the hell was the much maligned (for close to two decades) medical staff when they gave him his physical?  Did they do another misdiagnoses again like so many other times?  Now we hear that Sale comes to ST with pneumona and Pedroia isn't ready to TOLD work out.  The latter is no surprise; the guy is through and though sad to say, Henry has to move on from him.  He cannot play any more.  HIs knee is shot and all those operations haven't mended it at all.  What next afte Sale, Verdugo and Pedroia-----a tsunami and earthquake rolling over Feneway Park?  This organization had better get its shit together and fast.  We went through a cycle like this from late 2011 through 2015.  We do not need another one.

Fred I don't want to say I told you so but if you check back on my previous posts I TOLD YOU SO.

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2020, 06:48:57 AM »
No question, the Dodgers made out like Bandits.  A HOFer, a Cy Younger, a flamethrower in their BP we wanted as a starter   Net result, we ended up with a kid named after a Yankee and a 23 y.o. outfielder in a 40 y.o. body.

Offline longgame

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2020, 08:22:30 AM »
Surprised at KP's slash line, I thought he was a high strikeout guy.

Verdugo may miss the start of the season with a back injury so this depth is needed.

Offline Murph

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2020, 10:31:26 AM »
WOW!!!
Tough posts today.

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2020, 04:11:35 PM »
Murph, I think this season is going to have lots of ups and downs.  A good sense of humor will solve the tough days.  I guess we could say we have the four titles, and we're playing with house money.   thumb_u

Offline Murph

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2020, 05:16:47 PM »
Murph, I think this season is going to have lots of ups and downs.  A good sense of humor will solve the tough days.  I guess we could say we have the four titles, and we're playing with house money.   thumb_u
[/quote

Dog I expect very little THIS SEASON.I do think they will sneak past 500. The trade to me was all about the future. Money freed up for FA and they got some good prospects. Another low level SP will come shortly.If Sale gives them 160 IP I will be shocked.Which Erod will we see is a big question  also.

Offline elktonnick

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2020, 05:51:00 PM »
The only justification for this trade would be if Bloom actually obtains pitching and pitching prospects and rebuilds the farm. If he fails to do that he will be justifiably criticized.

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2020, 06:27:20 PM »

Comment

Well Murph, two things happened to change all that and it happened today.  We got word that Alex Verdugo's back is still acting up on him and now we hear he may not be ready for the start of the regular season even though he says he will. Well his back bothered him last August and curtailed his season and he is still not mended?  I mean where the hell was the much maligned (for close to two decades) medical staff when they gave him his physical?  Did they do another misdiagnoses again like so many other times?  Now we hear that Sale comes to ST with pneumona and Pedroia isn't ready to TOLD work out.  The latter is no surprise; the guy is through and though sad to say, Henry has to move on from him.  He cannot play any more.  HIs knee is shot and all those operations haven't mended it at all.  What next afte Sale, Verdugo and Pedroia-----a tsunami and earthquake rolling over Feneway Park?  This organization had better get its shit together and fast.  We went through a cycle like this from late 2011 through 2015.  We do not need another one.

Fred I don't want to say I told you so but if you check back on my previous posts I TOLD YOU SO.

Yup, you told me so Elk.  What can I say except I hope to God that Verdugo is ready when the season starts,,,,,,,NAY, two weeks before it starts.

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2020, 10:14:32 AM »
Fred, to maybe calm your angst, there's a video on Sox twitter today showing Verdugo walking the sidewalks at Jet Blue.  Looks like he's walking on eggshells, but he is not in traction like from some of the sky is falling reporters!

Offline elktonnick

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2020, 11:58:18 AM »
Verdugo is just one more symptom of what was a fundamentally unsound trade.   The Sox were so anxious to give away Betts to get below the Lux Tax that they believed what they wanted to believe.  They said the whole point of getting below the LT was so they would have the flexibility to restock the pitching staff and the farm.  What have we seen about pitching prospects...Ö crickets.  If Bloom doesn't actually take advantage of this new flexibility Red Sox Nation will be on him like a ton of bricks. 
In conclusion until I actually see Verdugo play and play at least 100 games before another stint on the injured list I will continue to believe Bloom got hosed.

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2020, 12:51:42 PM »
Verdugo is just one more symptom of what was a fundamentally unsound trade.   The Sox were so anxious to give away Betts to get below the Lux Tax that they believed what they wanted to believe.  They said the whole point of getting below the LT was so they would have the flexibility to restock the pitching staff and the farm.  What have we seen about pitching prospects...Ö crickets.  If Bloom doesn't actually take advantage of this new flexibility Red Sox Nation will be on him like a ton of bricks. 
In conclusion until I actually see Verdugo play and play at least 100 games before another stint on the injured list I will continue to believe Bloom got hosed.

That's pretty much spot on with what has happened.  And usually there are meager returns in exchange for salary dumps.

From what little I've read there are about 7-8 quality pitchers in FA that Bloom could sign for the back end of the royation.  Perez won't last more than three innings tops.  So go for two.

The fact that Bloom is still at square one with these guys tells me JH is a bottleneck.  Like you say, the fans are starting to get restless.  These are not the Orioles or Royals fans.

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2020, 04:10:01 PM »
Fred, to maybe calm your angst, there's a video on Sox twitter today showing Verdugo walking the sidewalks at Jet Blue.  Looks like he's walking on eggshells, but he is not in traction like from some of the sky is falling reporters!

Always great to have a good guy like you Sea Dog attempting to calm my worries about the season, but, face it, you guys are in there with me on the worry front.  Walking on egg shells?  Hey my friend, things have started off rocky for us already.  Pedroia still lame with his knee and for one who has only an arthritic one myself, well I can tell you it doesn't feel swell at all.  Dustin's is a helluva lot worse.  Then there is Sale coming down with pneumonia and then Verdugo with a bad back.  Hell, We need to get some good news and good health from our players so at least we can go into the season with our best foot forward.  Still if you here about any good news Sea Dog do bring it my way.  Hell, can't we all wish for a lot of that?