Author Topic: MLB rumors: Red Sox resigned to losing Mookie Betts as part of plan to slash pa  (Read 171 times)

Offline Murph

MLB rumors: Red Sox resigned to losing Mookie Betts as part of plan to slash payroll?

Updated 8:12 AM; Today 7:58 AM
Mookie Betts
AP

Boston Red Sox's Mookie Betts reacts after his RBI single during the third inning of a baseball game against the Baltimore Orioles in Boston, Sunday, Sept. 29, 2019.

By Mike Rosenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Change is coming to the Boston Red Sox, who failed to qualify for the playoffs one season after winning the 2018 World Series. Owner John Henry wants the Red Sox payroll to drop below the luxury tax for 2020. That means cutting almost $40 million in salaries. Some of that will happen naturally, with several players falling off the payroll, including former third baseman Pablo Sandoval.

But attrition wonít get the Red Sox all the way there. Which is why rumors are spreading that Boston will look to trade right-fielder Mookie Betts, the 2018 American League MVP. Betts will be a free agent after the 2020 season, and if the Red Sox know they canít afford to re-sign him, they will look to deal him this winter.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, per Yahoo Sports:

ďObviously, thereís a lot of rumors on a lot of stuff,Ē Bogaerts said. ďIím not in charge of any of those, those arenít my decisions. I love each and everyone thatís on this team. Weíve had some great memories throughout the years, and seeing some faces that might leave will be tough and weíll see what happens.Ē

ďI think everyone knows we donít think theyíre going to be able to afford Mookie,Ē DH and potential free agent J.D. Martinez told NBC Sports Boston. ďItís one of those things. Itís kind of hard to have three guys making $30 million on your team. He deserves it. Heís earned it. ... Iíve been on too many teams where people come and go,Ē he said. ďFor you guys (itís hard), because youíve seen him grow. I came into this situation. To me, everyone is expendable. Thatís the business of it. Iíve seen it in Houston. I saw in Detroit. I saw it in Arizona. Itís the business of it. Thatís why people want to blame the players, that they just want money. Youíve got to look at the big picture.Ē

Buy Yankees playoffs tickets: StubHub, SeatGeek, PrimeSport

The 32-year-old Martinez could be part of the payroll reduction as well. He can opt out of his contract after the 2019 World Series. He signed a five-year, $110 million contract with the Red Sox before the 2018 season. He hit 36 home runs with 105 RBI and a .304 batting average this season. In 2018, he slugged 43 home runs while driving in 130 runs and hitting .330.

As for the 26-year-old Betts, he continues to duck the trade rumors. ďItís been amazing,Ē he said, via Yahoo Sports. ďI canít thank the fans and teammates and front office enough for everything. Iím still here. Itís not like Iím gone until whatever. Iím not going to focus on that now.Ē

In six seasons with the Red Sox, Betts has 139 home runs, 965 hits and a .301 batting average. Heís a four-time All-Star whoís won three Gold Glove awards. He could easily make more than $300 million in his next contract and might approach the 12-year, $426.5 million deal Mike Trout signed with the Los Angeles Angels.

Offline Murph

Much has been made of the 57 million coming off the books but let's remember 49mill of that has been used up on Sale and Bogeys extensions. Hard to imagine this being anything less than a 2-3 year fix.

Offline Bill-806

SALE & PRICE are taking the $HIP down !! iono iono

Offline SeaBeachFred

Much has been made of the 57 million coming off the books but let's remember 49mill of that has been used up on Sale and Bogeys extensions. Hard to imagine this being anything less than a 2-3 year fix.

Good point Murph and if that is so we Red Sox fans had just hunker down and cut this crap about the team not being able to rebuild because of who we are.   That is pure bullshit.  Owner John Hnery himself said before the 2018 season that because of our salary structure the day might coming when we have to cut back somewhat.  Well we got a WS Title last year and that was great, but t here was a p rice to be paid for it and it is now upon us.  We have to really cut back and I don't want to hear minority owner Werner bitching and complaining about TV ratings.  We need to shed salaries and Mookie is one place to start.  For a fact I'm getting tired of hearing that guy waxing poetic with  love about how much he enjoys playing in Boston while he steadfastly refuses to sign an extension while insisting he wants to try the FA route.  Sure Mookie, you love us until someone offers you more money than the Sox do.  ship that greedy bastard out of town but hope and pray we can find some way to keep Martinez by adjusting his contract so he can make as much as some team might offer him.  Some real challenges are coming and we had better be ready for it.

Offline Sea Dog 23

If Mookie ain't listening to a good market offer from us, trade him to a San Diego or  LA.  If he gets to FA the NYY  will probably pick him up.  JDM might be more of a Yankee threat.  I understand a clause in his deal gives him 2.5 mil to opt out.  I'm not sure what his trade value would be, but there are pros and cons in keeping him.

Like Murph has said, the string of overpaid, unhealthy pitchers is killing us.

Offline longgame

• Administrator
A lot of what I've been hearing the last few days says Mookie won't be traded.  Most analysts feel that we wouldn't get anything for a player who hits the market at the end of the season.  The only possibility may be if someone other than Houston or LA makes it to the WS and loses and feels they need that one missing piece, but even then who?  Atlanta?  Washington?  Certainly not the Rays or the A's.  I think he plays next year, even though I think they should move him if Martinez leaves and make it a true rebuilding year. 

Offline Bill-806

The story goes on & will continue on till the day after the WORLD $ERIOU$...Ö. Then , all heck is going to break loose...Ö You will need a SCORECARD for sure in 2020 !!! iono iono

Offline Sea Dog 23

Looking more today that the Sox just might have a trading partner in the Mookie sweepstakes (and throw in Price?).  The Bravos are down 13-0 to the Cards in the 3rd.  Also the Dodgers face Strasburg on game 5.  ATL and LA are loaded with talent in the minors to the big club, and won't be happy sitting out this year.

Just playing a hunch while the big October plays out.

Offline Bill-806

Looking more today that the Sox just might have a trading partner in the Mookie sweepstakes (and throw in Price?).  The Bravos are down 13-0 to the Cards in the 3rd.  Also the Dodgers face Strasburg on game 5.  ATL and LA are loaded with talent in the minors to the big club, and won't be happy sitting out this year.

Dodgers are gone Ö..  Not sure about the BRAVES, hate to see MOOKIE go, but I would trade PRICE all day long !!!  Get a boat load of young players that can PLAY  !!! iono iono iono iono

Offline SeaBeachFred

Dodgers are gone Ö..  Not sure about the BRAVES, hate to see MOOKIE go, but I would trade PRICE all day long !!!  Get a boat load of young players that can PLAY  !!! iono iono iono iono

You can say that again Bill.  THE DODGERS ARE GONE AND GOOD RIDDANCE TO THAT.  No one on this board is happier than I am by what took place in Los Angeles last night.  The Dodgers are one of the two teams I totally despise.  And to think that when I was a kid living in Queens I loved the Dodgers----THE BROOKLYN Dodgers!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 08:32:03 PM by SeaBeachFred »

Offline longgame

• Administrator

You can say that again Bill.  THE DODGERS ARE GONE AND GOOD RIDDANCE TO THAT.  No one on this board is happier than I am bu what took place in Los Angeles last night.  The Dodgers are one of the two teams I totally despise.  And to think that when I was a kid living in Queens I loved the Dodgers----THE BROOKLYN Dodgers!!!!!!!

Now let's get rid of the other one!