Author Topic: Red Sox fire Dombrowski one season after title.  (Read 132 times)

Offline Schloicka

• Administrator
Red Sox fire Dombrowski one season after title.
« on: September 09, 2019, 03:48:49 AM »
The Boston Red Sox fired president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski on Sunday and will elevate senior vice president Raquel Ferreira and assistant general managers Eddie Romero, Brian O'Halloran and Zack Scott to jointly lead their baseball-operations department for the rest of the season.

Dombrowski, 63, was the architect behind the Red Sox's 2018 World Series championship and had a contract that ran through the 2020 season. The Red Sox are in the midst of a disappointing season that has them eight games back of the second wild-card spot in the American League and 17 games behind the first-place New York Yankees in the AL East.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27573900/red-sox-fire-dombrowski-one-season-title

Offline elktonnick

Re: Red Sox fire Dombrowski one season after title.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 05:52:31 AM »
I am shocked.  Never thought John Henry would fire Dombrowski before Cora.  I guess Henry puts all the blame on DD.  Ole Shaughnessy was right after all.

Offline longgame

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 08:47:47 AM »
Not too surprised, just that they didn't wait until the season was over in 3 weeks.  It makes it clear to me that between leaving them without starters for half of their games by signing lame pitchers, not filling out the bullpen for the entire season and really not addressing other weaknesses, such as 2B, he sealed his fate.  Cora made one big mistake - not running a normal spring training - and has paid for it all season long.  On a related note, Week 1 football looked pathetic for most teams for the same reason.  Apparently the modern day pro athlete is so good that practice is not required as it was for every member of every sports' hall of fame. 

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 09:25:24 AM »
Not too surprised, just that they didn't wait until the season was over in 3 weeks.  It makes it clear to me that between leaving them without starters for half of their games by signing lame pitchers, not filling out the bullpen for the entire season and really not addressing other weaknesses, such as 2B, he sealed his fate.  Cora made one big mistake - not running a normal spring training - and has paid for it all season long.  On a related note, Week 1 football looked pathetic for most teams for the same reason.  Apparently the modern day pro athlete is so good that practice is not required as it was for every member of every sports' hall of fame.

"But I don't like the new helmets"  The author if that comment is going to play in Boston/NE for whatever reason.

Offline elktonnick

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 12:14:23 PM »
Basically Chris "Mad Dog" Russo believes that Dombrowski was not fired because of baseball reasons.  Russo cites unspecified rumors circulating for more than a year that Dombrowki was fired for his "leadership style and personal behavior ".  Simply put he wasn't well liked by most folks within the front office.  He pissed people off.

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 01:32:40 PM »
DD made the necessary tune ups that netted us Sale, Price and Kimbrel andit did lead to a World Series Title last season.  Without those three guys we don't get that one in '18 no mater how many of you think otherwise that we could have.   WE COULDN'T!!!!!!!!!!  However, I don't know where the blame belongs, on JH or DD.  I want to hear more about what might have really went down, but one thing is totally clear to me.  Alex Cora bears most of the responsibility for the debacle of 2019. Again there can be no doubt that his mickey mouse Spring Training program just destroyed any chance we had odf making a go at it this year-----and he should be on a very hot seat next season; another ST farce like that should net him quick ticket out of town.

Just who is going to step in and take over Baseball Ops.  My fear is that Henry may again yet turn to Larry Lucchino and if that happens you can turn out the lights on the Red Sox until that son of a bitch is finally and utterly out of town once and for al.

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 01:35:36 PM »

Good post save for second base.  Brock Holt has given us a solid game there this season and a plus 300 average to bot.  What we need to do is get a CF who can hit better than 219 and finally admit that Jackie Bradley is a fourth outfielder and does not belong in any lineup until the seventh or eighth inning----and that is what he wil become if the Red Sox finally wake up and understand that he simply does not belong in the lineup because of his totally shitty hitting save for an occasional home run.  He is one of many that must go this winter along with Barnes, Brasier, and some of the other trash we have on the team.

Offline Bill-806

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 05:26:17 PM »
As DAD would say, "SON, its not what you did for us yesterday, butwhat are you doing TODAY".... iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Offline elktonnick

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 05:54:40 PM »

I think because we fans see so much wrong with the club we think ownership sees and thinks the same. I watched the Gammons interview on the MLB channel. He clearly was holding back some of the more spicy details. The sense I got from Gammons was that DD would have been allowed to finish out the year but some one got their back up last night and the decision was made right then and there in a relatively hasty fashion. Apparently leadership style has been an issue for sometime and there were rumors last year but the euphoria of the big season pushed everything to the back burner but DD never got the extension immediately after the big win which while not totally unusual certainly sent the signal that ownership had concerns.

Many of the talking heads on MLB today expressed concerns that firing DD after firing Cherrington and their mishandling of Francona's firing is going to complicate Sox hiring a new chief of baseball operations. Word is that the Sox would love to get Mike Hazen but that may not be possible.

Offline longgame

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 08:01:56 AM »

I think because we fans see so much wrong with the club we think ownership sees and thinks the same. I watched the Gammons interview on the MLB channel. He clearly was holding back some of the more spicy details. The sense I got from Gammons was that DD would have been allowed to finish out the year but some one got their back up last night and the decision was made right then and there in a relatively hasty fashion. Apparently leadership style has been an issue for sometime and there were rumors last year but the euphoria of the big season pushed everything to the back burner but DD never got the extension immediately after the big win which while not totally unusual certainly sent the signal that ownership had concerns.

Many of the talking heads on MLB today expressed concerns that firing DD after firing Cherrington and their mishandling of Francona's firing is going to complicate Sox hiring a new chief of baseball operations. Word is that the Sox would love to get Mike Hazen but that may not be possible.

You have to wonder about Sox ownership.  I think we all thought it was Lucchino that was driving people out but apparently it may be Henry.  The Sox can't seem to find and keep good management.  I still say that DD sitting pat this year sealed his fate though. 

Offline elktonnick

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 08:06:17 AM »

You have to wonder about Sox ownership.  I think we all thought it was Lucchino that was driving people out but apparently it may be Henry.  The Sox can't seem to find and keep good management.  I still say that DD sitting pat this year sealed his fate though.

You may be right about Henry.  I wonder does Liverpool run through the equivalent of Head of Baseball Operations as frequently as the Red Sox.

Offline rkarp

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 01:13:13 PM »
if you are going to have this type of payroll, the team must be in the playoffs with out question
I am fine with ownership having this mentality, as it is working
I can handle missing the playoffs 5 out of 15 years if it comes with 4 WS championships
the Yanks have a similar payroll, and the same GM for ever, but have not won in a very long time.
which would you rather?

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 03:40:42 PM »
John Henry fired Farrell because two AL EAST Titles were not enough.  He had hired DD to change that one year earlier and told him he wanted a WS Title .  He got that, but did he tie Dombrowski's hands after the Series because of the $40 million LT penalty or did DD have the go to spend some more.  We need to find out which was which before we cast blame on whoever we should cast blame on, that is, if there is really anyone to blame.  'l give my opinion on this aside from the blame angle.  Add up all the pros and cons......WOULD I TRADE A SHITTY 2019 SEASON FOR A BETTER ONE AND NOT HAVE WON THE WS LAST YEAR, OR TAKE THE CRAP THAT WENT DOWN THIS YEAR FOR THE JOY OF HOW THE SEASON OF 2018 TURNED OUT?  Anyone with a brain could answer that question.

I am currently readinG  HOMEGROWN--How the Red Sox Built a Champion From the Ground Up.  Alex Speier goes in deep detail as to how our 2018 team was built up slowly and surely  starting five years before.  Nice front and back cover and maybe it gives us a hint of what might be coming now since we didn't come close on following up on our great 2018 season.  Worth a look.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 04:02:28 PM by SeaBeachFred »

Offline longgame

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 08:19:20 AM »
I'd like the answer to the money question and if his hands were really tied.  It would make no sense to do that to a guy and then fire him.  But, I think the real reason he was fired because they no longer have a functional farm system. 

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 03:10:51 PM »
I'd like the answer to the money question and if his hands were really tied.  It would make no sense to do that to a guy and then fire him.  But, I think the real reason he was fired because they no longer have a functional farm system.

How many of those farmhands we traded or sold have really come around and become standout players?  I know of only one.....Yoan Moncada, and he has done it this season.  The last two he was pretty mediocre.  The others have been pedestrian at best or were players blocked by some of the players currently in our lineup-----Raffy-Mookie, Benny, Xanderand maybe now Chavis and Christian.  It is conceivable that many of those departed prospects weren't so good in the first place and if so, w e have to do a better job of scouting and, now, if need be get ready to add Dalbec, Casas, and Duran into our lineup within a year or two.