Author Topic: Re: Sox still looking around  (Read 283 times)

Offline Sea Dog 23

Re: Sox still looking around
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2019, 03:34:18 PM »
Braves got RP Greene from Tigers, RP Dyson to Twins, Rays traded P Stanek to Marlins and got two pitchers back, one with a good fast ball. 

Offline Bill-806

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2019, 03:35:55 PM »
NOW the SOX will roll the DICE with the CARDS they have ….. They all have to STEP UP their game in all facets ……  Starts & stops with their PITCHING & USE of same...… CORA needs to  Get aggressive & think out of the BOX !! iono iono iono

Offline elktonnick

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2019, 03:39:51 PM »
It appears the Astros were the most aggressive team at the deadline.  On paper they must be considered the favorite to win the AL pennant.

Online longgame

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2019, 04:50:26 PM »
It appears the Astros were the most aggressive team at the deadline.  On paper they must be considered the favorite to win the AL pennant.

Certainly seems like a combination of a good division lead and identifying and addressing needs.

The Sox seem to be saying "you guys are good enough, now get off your asses and play". 

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2019, 05:24:25 PM »
In light of the Houston dealing, I'm somewhat satisfied the Sox ended up with just Cashner.  If they had busted up the farm for some marginal pitchers today, thrre would be some screamers in the press.. 

DD maybe didnt know what Houston was getting this afternoon, but he might be relieved he didnt jump like Cleveland and Oakland, who gambled and now would face a stacked Astros in the playoffs.

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2019, 06:26:04 PM »

Certainly seems like a combination of a good division lead and identifying and addressing needs.

The Sox seem to be saying "you guys are good enough, now get off your asses and play".

What else could the Sox brass say even if it is shout from hell.  You can tell the team to get off their asses and play and they will-----for four or five games.  Then as if my hypnosis they suddenly play like their exhausted from overwork and just mail a game or two in.  This club will NOT go on a 16 out of 20 run because it is not in them.  Where that winning drive went I don't know but last night pretty much summed it up for me and I'm glad DD did not go nuts on the trade market.  It would have just been a waste of time.  We have some housework to do in this coming off season and we had better do it.  There are at least a half-dozen to ten players who have either failed or underachieved this season and they have to go and you should know who they are by now.

Offline Bill-806

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2019, 07:16:14 AM »
How about if our RED SOX players just SHOW UP & PLAY, COACHES SHOW UP & COACH, and GRIND out what every game has become !!! iono iono iono iono

Online longgame

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2019, 08:25:23 AM »

What else could the Sox brass say even if it is shout from hell.  You can tell the team to get off their asses and play and they will-----for four or five games.  Then as if my hypnosis they suddenly play like their exhausted from overwork and just mail a game or two in.  This club will NOT go on a 16 out of 20 run because it is not in them.  Where that winning drive went I don't know but last night pretty much summed it up for me and I'm glad DD did not go nuts on the trade market.  It would have just been a waste of time.  We have some housework to do in this coming off season and we had better do it.  There are at least a half-dozen to ten players who have either failed or underachieved this season and they have to go and you should know who they are by now.

I think they could if they could get some decent pitching.  Sale has become their stopper - he stops any momentum the team has.  Porcello is just bad.  Price is literally hit or miss.  We've seen him look great, we've seen him look terrible.  E-Rod, the lowest paid guy, is the best by a long shot.  If they could get any sort of consistency from the starters this wouldn't be a problem.  And it all goes back to spring training like we've been saying all year.

I've been trying to be positive about this team as you well know.  But losing 3 in a row at this point in the season is almost a deal killer. 

There is one ray of hope - in 2004 the Red Sox were 56-47 and 9 games out of first.  That team went on a tear of 16 out of 17 starting on August 16.  I seem to remember making the Wild Card may have been somewhat in jeopardy but in the end they won 98 games.  Hell of a run to finish going 42-17.  I doubt this team can do that, but it's out there.

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2019, 09:27:38 AM »
A dose of reality with the three game slide with Sale, Price, Rick, they consume $60mil in 2019 salary.  That's more than the Rays total club salary, a team we're chasing. 

Couple that with the Rays missing two of their good pitchers on the IL (Glasnow and another with 'floating objects').  Then they traded two more pitchers yesterday, Senek to Miami and Kotlarek to LAD.  Where are they getting all those pitchers?

Offline Bill-806

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2019, 10:05:03 AM »
A dose of reality with the three game slide with Sale, Price, Rick, they consume $60mil in 2019 salary.  That's more than the Rays total club salary, a team we're chasing. 

Couple that with the Rays missing two of their good pitchers on the IL (Glasnow and another with 'floating objects').  Then they traded two more pitchers yesterday, Senek to Miami and Kotlarek to LAD.  Where are they getting all those pitchers?
WELL SAID ……….  BASEBALL is changing right before our EYES, some teams (TAMPA) are ahead of the CURVE …... thumb_u iono iono

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2019, 10:37:00 AM »

I think they could if they could get some decent pitching.  Sale has become their stopper - he stops any momentum the team has.  Porcello is just bad.  Price is literally hit or miss.  We've seen him look great, we've seen him look terrible.  E-Rod, the lowest paid guy, is the best by a long shot.  If they could get any sort of consistency from the starters this wouldn't be a problem.  And it all goes back to spring training like we've been saying all year.

I've been trying to be positive about this team as you well know.  But losing 3 in a row at this point in the season is almost a deal killer. 

There is one ray of hope - in 2004 the Red Sox were 56-47 and 9 games out of first.  That team went on a tear of 16 out of 17 starting on August 16.  I seem to remember making the Wild Card may have been somewhat in jeopardy but in the end they won 98 games.  Hell of a run to finish going 42-17.  I doubt this team can do that, but it's out there.

Kudos to you Ted for keeping the faith when so many of us here are about to throw in the towel once and for all.  The 2004 team played half-ass baseball for three months before they went nuts in August and September and I suppose this year's edition of the Red Sox could do it, bur nothing we've seen so far indicates that to me.  Besides, as I tell all my Dodger and Angel friends out here in sunny So. Cal, the Red Sox are known for three things......One, when they get into a World Series they win it.....Two, when they play a WS game on my birthday, the win and do it dramatically, and, three, they NEVER REPEAT AS WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.  Me??? Today my wife and I celebrate our 49th Wedding Anniversary and I am decked out in Red Sox gear but I can only believe that all I will have to enjoy from our team for the rest of the season are the wins they chalk up and hopefully be at least a dozen games over 500.  Also, I hope we finally dump those players who have underachieved for so long or just plain failed to live up to Red Sox standards.  Oh, yes, a new pitching coach.  Have a great day Ted.

Online longgame

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2019, 12:55:51 PM »
Happy Anniversary to you and your better half Fred! 

Those three points are pretty good - I'd add to that that they also always win on my birthday in the ALDS!  So true about them not repeating and I think I mentioned elsewhere that instead of Pedro and Schilling they have Sale and Price.  Maybe Eovaldi can be Derek Lowe but that's about as much as we can hope for.  If they could get the pitching they'd win, but I just can't see that happening with these guys.  It just seems so obvious if you've got 3 former Cy Young winners who can't pitch well anymore that maybe, just maybe it may be the pitching coach?  They all seem to have the same problems too - can't command, get too careful and then leave one out over the plate because they're thinking too much about something other than executing the pith.  Sale does well when he steps up and slings the ball.  Now he's trying to see if he can bend his slider even further and it never catches the plate.  Guys just wait for a slower fastball or a hanging breaking pitch.  Porcello has been Jekyll and Hyde all his career and Price we know seems to be easily distracted.  All of these are coaching issues.

Offline markj

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2019, 03:01:19 PM »
Interesting article here.

The Red Sox inquired about several relievers, a major area of concern, but were told that sellers liked prospects from other clubs more than theirs, according to MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand. Boston’s farm system is rated as one of the worst, if not the worst, in the majors.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/01/red-sox-had-bleaker-reason-than-yankees-for-silent-deadline/
Worst => First => Worst => Worst => ALE Champs => ALE Champs =>First

Online longgame

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2019, 03:58:39 PM »
I think that was confirmed by DD as well - they were asking for more than what they would give which meant that they needed to give up major league talent most likely.  We can be pretty sure nobody was asking the Sox if they had any pitchers in their organization!