Author Topic: Second half of the season  (Read 33 times)

Offline longgame

• Administrator
Second half of the season
« on: July 11, 2019, 08:52:06 AM »
A midseason look from some of ESPN's reporters.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27154580/mlb-second-half-preview-answering-baseball-biggest-questions

I thought this was interesting:

3. What's more likely to happen to the Red Sox, rebounding for a deep October run or completely missing the playoffs?
Schoenfield: I've been trying to believe in the Red Sox all season, but they have yet to establish any sort of consistency -- and not just from the bullpen, which continues to rank poorly in FanGraphs' "clutch" measurement (23rd in the majors). Plus, guys like Marcus Walden and Matt Barnes, worked heavily so far, are showing signs of fatigue (Walden has an 8.22 ERA over his past 17 appearances and Barnes has an 8.79 ERA over his past 17 appearances). They'll probably add relief help and David Price has quietly been very good (as has Chris Sale since his rough start), but they've also played more than half their games against both the Orioles and Blue Jays. I think they win 90 games, but fall just short of a wild card.

Talks a lot about the pitching that's out there.  I'm pretty sure the Yankees will go and get Stroman which would be game over for the division.  Hopefully the Sox don't cry poverty and throw in the towel, or if they do throw in the towel, they do it to rebuild, not to just ride it out and hope it goes better next year.

Offline SeaBeachFred

Re: Second half of the season
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 04:27:42 PM »
A midseason look from some of ESPN's reporters.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27154580/mlb-second-half-preview-answering-baseball-biggest-questions

I thought this was interesting:

3. What's more likely to happen to the Red Sox, rebounding for a deep October run or completely missing the playoffs?
Schoenfield: I've been trying to believe in the Red Sox all season, but they have yet to establish any sort of consistency -- and not just from the bullpen, which continues to rank poorly in FanGraphs' "clutch" measurement (23rd in the majors). Plus, guys like Marcus Walden and Matt Barnes, worked heavily so far, are showing signs of fatigue (Walden has an 8.22 ERA over his past 17 appearances and Barnes has an 8.79 ERA over his past 17 appearances). They'll probably add relief help and David Price has quietly been very good (as has Chris Sale since his rough start), but they've also played more than half their games against both the Orioles and Blue Jays. I think they win 90 games, but fall just short of a wild card.

Talks a lot about the pitching that's out there.  I'm pretty sure the Yankees will go and get Stroman which would be game over for the division.  Hopefully the Sox don't cry poverty and throw in the towel, or if they do throw in the towel, they do it to rebuild, not to just ride it out and hope it goes better next year.

The Red Sox don't rebuild----the reload.  That is their philosophy and that comes from the very top in John Henry.  No, they will try and convince us that 2020will be better ----and it might as proof, 2017 shaky AL East Title to WS Champions in 2018.  One big problem, however, is Mookie Betts.  After 2020 he is a FA and has shown no inkling of accepting a new contract from the Red Sox.  IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT WE SOMEHOW GET A GOOD DEAL AT THE td AND SHIP HIS GREEDY ASS OUT OF TOWN AND GET A COUPLE OF VERY GOOD PROSPECTS FOR HIM.  iF HE STAYS WE MAY LOSE HIM FOR NOTHING....WE CANNOT LET THAT HAPPEN.

Offline longgame

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 08:00:55 AM »
I don't know that you can call Betts greedy, he's doing what he should - leveraging the market.  He saw the money that guys got last year.  His BA is rising, his OPS is pretty good.  He'll end up with numbers that are okay.  He's got another year to go and unless the Sox say "here's $400MM for 10 years" he be wise to see what the market gets him. 

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 12:24:06 PM »
I don't know that you can call Betts greedy, he's doing what he should - leveraging the market.  He saw the money that guys got last year.  His BA is rising, his OPS is pretty good.  He'll end up with numbers that are okay.  He's got another year to go and unless the Sox say "here's $400MM for 10 years" he be wise to see what the market gets him.

I disagree vehemently Ted.  His value will fall 75% if we wait until the TD NEXT SEASON to trade him.  Pennies on the dolar I call it.  Why would a team give us the penthouse for two months rental.  NO NO NO NO NO---we offer him a contract before THIS year's trading deadline and if he says no we ship; his ass out of town.  Of course if we make a mib move in the standings and he finally gets off his schnine and starts hitting consistently with power that's another story.  The team should not be kept hostage because he wants Mike Trout money when he in effect isn't worth anything near what Mike Trouts gets because he is nothing near Mike Trout.  If I had my druthers, he would get real hot, the team would make a real move towards the playyofs, we come back and get in the WS in 2020, and we sign him long term.

Offline longgame

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 01:09:42 PM »

I disagree vehemently Ted.  His value will fall 75% if we wait until the TD NEXT SEASON to trade him.  Pennies on the dolar I call it.  Why would a team give us the penthouse for two months rental.  NO NO NO NO NO---we offer him a contract before THIS year's trading deadline and if he says no we ship; his ass out of town.  Of course if we make a mib move in the standings and he finally gets off his schnine and starts hitting consistently with power that's another story.  The team should not be kept hostage because he wants Mike Trout money when he in effect isn't worth anything near what Mike Trouts gets because he is nothing near Mike Trout.  If I had my druthers, he would get real hot, the team would make a real move towards the playyofs, we come back and get in the WS in 2020, and we sign him long term.

His value won't drop.  Harper's didn't, Machado's didn't.  Those guys got huge bucks.  If I were in Betts shoes I'd want to get the most for my time.  The way these things go, his next contract will be his last. He'll be set for life as will his family for generations to come.  I agree the team should do what they can to get the most value out of him, whether it's re-signing him or trading him at some point, but I can't blame him for wanting to get top dollar as one of the top guys in the game.