Author Topic: Report: Red Sox planning to switch Nate Eovaldi to closer  (Read 100 times)

Online markj

• Administrator
Report: Red Sox planning to switch Nate Eovaldi to closer
« on: July 02, 2019, 08:53:19 AM »
Exactly what I was saying a few days ago.

The Red Sox plan to make Nate Eovaldi their closer once he returns from the injured list, NESNís Tom Caron reported on Monday night.

Caron, who flew with the team from London to Toronto on Sunday, wrote on NESNís website that the team plans to abandon its current relief setup and use Eovaldi as a traditional closer, a role he has never held.

Eovaldi has said several times this season he does not want to be used as a reliever and turned down offers from other teams to be a closer before accepting a four-year, $68 million deal from the Sox in December to be a starter.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2019/07/01/report-red-sox-planning-switch-nate-eovaldi-closer/S4565FxeWjZ2Jbps5NnlNO/story.html
Worst => First => Worst => Worst => ALE Champs => ALE Champs =>First

Online markj

• Administrator
Re: Report: Red Sox planning to switch Nate Eovaldi to closer
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 08:54:23 AM »
He doesn't appear to want this, so it could go bad on them. But if he had been their closer all along this year, I bet they would be 7 or 8 games higher in the W column.
Worst => First => Worst => Worst => ALE Champs => ALE Champs =>First

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 11:20:40 AM »
And question no 2 , when do they expect him to be healthy enough to command a relief appearance in AAA, then for Boston?  He did experience a set-back recently.

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 02:07:05 PM »
I see this as a panic move and nothing more.  Nathan had made it clear back in November that, one, he wanted to stay in Boston AS A STARTING PITCHER and did not want to be a reliever.  Oh yes, he can relieve and we saw what he did in the post season in his excellent relief appearances but our rotation could use all the help it can get because it hasn't performed up to par at all and personally  think that a regular assignment as a starter would work better for Eovaldi once he is healthy and ready to go.  Face it, E-Rod and his nibbling, Porcello with his penchant for giving up tons of hits and whoever is our fifth starter hasn't done crap as far as effectiveness is concerned and so to me this is another version of re-arranging the chairs on the Titanic.  Dombrowski has to get creative and go out and get us a couple of relievers instead of making a move like this which I don't think  will he all that helpful if we don't a couple of guys who can navigate us through the                            6-8 innings---AND RIGHT NOW WE DON'T HAVE ANYONE WHO IS A LOCKDOWN GUY FOR THOSE INNINGS.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:13:55 PM by SeaBeachFred »

Offline Sea Dog 23

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 05:52:50 AM »
From Twitter on NESN yesterday.

"Eovaldi says he told the team he didnít have to come back as a starter when he realized it was going to take another month to build up to starting. Says he feels itís on him how taxed the bullpen has been because heís been out ."

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 05:34:18 PM »
From Twitter on NESN yesterday.

"Eovaldi says he told the team he didnít have to come back as a starter when he realized it was going to take another month to build up to starting. Says he feels itís on him how taxed the bullpen has been because heís been out ."

Well no one ever accused Nathan of being anything else but a consummate team player.  The World Series showed that just in case there might be a doubting Thomas in the crowd so it is nothing that I wouldn't have doubted about his veracity.  Still, I want nothing to interfere with his progress to wellness.  He will give us some very good moments and years when he returns.

Offline elktonnick

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 05:40:18 PM »
Eovoldi is a gamer.

Offline longgame

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 09:13:21 AM »
If this is the plan, then they don't have a plan.  This still leaves them a starter short of a full rotation and that's not counting the "rest" I'm sure Sale is going to need at some point in the next two months.  Eovaldi won't be a capable closer for some time yet.  Is the plan really to have him, coming off of injury, to come in and throw as hard as he can for an inning at a time on a daily basis?  It can't be so that means they don't have a closer until maybe a few weeks after he returns.  In the meantime they still can't throw strikes and struggle to hold on to big leads. 

Someone needs to wake up there.  Of course Henry is probably more worried about the exhibition Liverpool soccer game.

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 04:19:19 PM »
If this is the plan, then they don't have a plan.  This still leaves them a starter short of a full rotation and that's not counting the "rest" I'm sure Sale is going to need at some point in the next two months.  Eovaldi won't be a capable closer for some time yet.  Is the plan really to have him, coming off of injury, to come in and throw as hard as he can for an inning at a time on a daily basis?  It can't be so that means they don't have a closer until maybe a few weeks after he returns.  In the meantime they still can't throw strikes and struggle to hold on to big leads. 

Someone needs to wake up there.  Of course Henry is probably more worried about the exhibition Liverpool soccer game.

With the Tigers still in a deep and so far average rebuilding mode I thought maybe we might have left Detroit  with a trade for their pretty good close Shane Greene, but as usual Dombrowski had his finger up his ass and nothing was done in that regard so we have the same set of corrosive characters still scaring us to death with their miserable relief pitching to a point that even six and seven r un leads are not safe from these turds.  DD has to start acting like a real Capo Di Tuti and get in there and get us some help to make sure when we get a two or three run lead we can keep it.  You're also right Ted---we don't really have a plan except for hearing a lot of platitudes from the front office that are supposed to tranquilize us into believing that all is right.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:22:07 PM by SeaBeachFred »

Online Murph

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 04:40:49 PM »

With the Tigers still in a deep and so far average rebuilding mode I thought maybe we might have left Detroit  with a trade for their pretty good close Shane Greene, but as usual Dombrowski had his finger up his ass and nothing was done in that regard so we have the same set of corrosive characters still scaring us to death with their miserable relief pitching to a point that even six and seven r un leads are not safe from these turds.  DD has to start acting like a real Capo Di Tuti and get in there and get us some help to make sure when we get a two or three run lead we can keep it.  You're also right Ted---we don't really have a plan except for hearing a lot of platitudes from the front office that are supposed to tranquilize us into believing that all is right.

They probably would want Chavis and I would imagine talks ended real quick if that was the case.

Online Murph

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 04:53:34 PM »
Some reports coming out that the Sox are looking into Zack Wheeler.

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 05:47:51 PM »

They probably would want Chavis and I would imagine talks ended real quick if that was the case.

If that was the case the, yes, talks should have stopped immediately.  But you have to wonder sometimes how the Yankees make a trade and seem to jake their trade partners out of their socks while we always have to pay a stiff price.

Offline longgame

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 08:34:49 AM »
Fred that's what amazes me.  The Yankees not only seem to have plenty of chips to trade, but they seem to get some good production out of the guys they keep. I think Cashman stockpiles minor league talent in some of these deals.  Give me the star and a couple of lower minor leaguers and I'll give you some of our mid to upper level guys.  That keeps them with assets under contract.

Offline SeaBeachFred

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 06:36:09 PM »
Fred that's what amazes me.  The Yankees not only seem to have plenty of chips to trade, but they seem to get some good production out of the guys they keep. I think Cashman stockpiles minor league talent in some of these deals.  Give me the star and a couple of lower minor leaguers and I'll give you some of our mid to upper level guys.  That keeps them with assets under contract.

Well whatever we've been doing is just not working for us Ted.  From Cora's ridiculous go-at-it-easy Spring Training to Donbrowski's naivety in believing our bullpen was good enough as currently composed last April, to Mookie falling off the mountaintop, take our pick of those or a host of other t hings, we are currently on a pace for about 88 wins.  Now that would have been ok in the 90's but it sure as hell isn't good enough now.  Again I repeat my dialogue since the beginning of June----We simply cannot get anywhere just winning two of three from the average teams---WE HAVE TO SWEEP THESE SERIES as we did with the Tigers if we want in on the Playoffs and how the hell can we do that when even when ahead 6-1 and  7-2 in the sixth inning we're still scared shitless the bulpen will arrive and give it all away again and again?  DD has some work to do and Cora has some lapses to make up for.