ALCS GAME #4 WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT HOUSTON ASTROS

Started by longgame, October 17, 2018, 03:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Been watching and reading some on the Betts play on the Altuve hit.  Clearly he would have caught the ball had the fan not interfered.  What's less definitive is whether Betts was over the imaginary line.  I'm not convinced he wasn't.  There are two things to look at.  First, Mookie is leaping and yes his arm would be back some, but after the ball hit his glove, he kept going into the wall.  He had not hit the wall yet.  The more telling thing is there are three guys involved.  The guy furthest to the right is wearing a white shirt.  He is clearly leaning over the railing and reaching out to where Mookie's glove is.

There will be a lot of crying about this one but West was right there.  They don't have RF umpires in regular season games.  This was the right call.  I'm surprised they let those guys stay, if nothing else for their own safety. 

markj

I slept in an extra half hour this morning. Wasn't enough. At least the game tonight starts 30 minutes earlier.

markj

Quote from: longgame on October 18, 2018, 09:12:49 AM
Been watching and reading some on the Betts play on the Altuve hit.  Clearly he would have caught the ball had the fan not interfered.  What's less definitive is whether Betts was over the imaginary line.  I'm not convinced he wasn't.  There are two things to look at.  First, Mookie is leaping and yes his arm would be back some, but after the ball hit his glove, he kept going into the wall.  He had not hit the wall yet.  The more telling thing is there are three guys involved.  The guy furthest to the right is wearing a white shirt.  He is clearly leaning over the railing and reaching out to where Mookie's glove is.

There will be a lot of crying about this one but West was right there.  They don't have RF umpires in regular season games.  This was the right call.  I'm surprised they let those guys stay, if nothing else for their own safety. 

There shouldn't ever be a situation where fans can interfere with a play while still in their seats. We have these issues because of poorly designed stadiums. How tough would it have been to build in some space between the fence and the first row of seats? And I'm not picking on just Minute Maid Park. There are a lot of parks with this issue, including Fenway.

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: elktonnick on October 18, 2018, 09:07:57 AM
I did not get to bed until 2am and get up until 9 am.  I haven't done that in over 20 years.  And it looks to be another late night.

Me too!!!

Bill-806

SORRY, I fell asleep in the 6th …… WHAT a game, one for the AGES !!!! thumb_u thumb_u thumb_u rofl rofl rofl

longgame

Interesting from watching TV this morning and at lunch the line in today's baseball media is "well Verlander is going for the Astros so they'll win and can the Sox really trust Price?"  It's amazing what the Sox need to do to get respect. 

Sea Dog 23

I like the net effect of pitching Price v Verlander in this game.  He is an very effective post season guy, yes.  The net effect of having Sale pushed back is even better for us at home vs Cole.  His odds are better than facing Verlander and using up his start on the road.  Just some musings.

elktonnick

What has been driving me nuts is the play by play guy for TBS spends about 80 per cent of his time talking about Astros players.

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: elktonnick on October 18, 2018, 02:57:00 PM
What has been driving me nuts is the play by play guy for TBS spends about 80 per cent of his time talking about Astros players.

Definitely - I usually put the sound down VERY low.
Can't stand them - they are clearly pro-Astros.
Although yesterday they were a little better.

SeaBeachFred

Wel I might as well fess up to my less than brave antics last night.  I was so done in by how long this game was taking and how much tension there was in just about every inning that I folded the tend and went to bed after the 7th frame.  I was all done in from tension, stress and anger at the goings on as our guys kept stumbling, recovering, faltering and then raising the standard.  I felt an hour or two of shut-eye and I would force myself to look at my phone to see if I would get up in the morning happy or miserable, but just as I did my pal Terry called to tell me our guys won.  Sorry for chickening out on my friends here but I was gassed, scared and out of my mind.  Being ahead 3-1 is nice and we ought to be able to win one more game but I'm taking no chances and making no move to get travel plans until if and when we win the AL Title.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on October 18, 2018, 02:57:00 PM

Ron Darling is one of the announcers right?  He grew up a Red Sox fan and tells us on numerous tapes that when he reads the sports section of his papers in the morning the first box score he looks for is the Red Sox one.  Hard to understand his penchant for acting like he's pro Astro unless he bending over ass backwards trying to portray himself as non-partisan.

elktonnick

Darling isn't as bad as the play by play guy who talks incessantly about the Astros.( BTW Ron Darling graduated from St.John's High School in Shrewsbury Mass a perennial athletic powerhouse in Central Massachusetts and my alma mater) 

Chris Russo who predicted that Yankees were going to beat the Red Sox and the Astros were going to beat Boston in 5 or 6 at the most, really unloaded on the Astros today.  He was especially critical about the Astros pitching and boneheaded plays.  Must say I got a particular kick out of this Red Sox haters going bonkers as their teams aren't living up to their predictions.

Bill-806

HOW about J B J ????  With help from MR. JIM RICE...…. B I N G O !!! thumb_u thumb_u rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl