GAME #161, SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2018, NY YANKEES AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, September 29, 2018, 06:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Getting swept at home in the last series of the season is not a good sign for October. Fred's right when he refers to past seasons where the Sox have played like crap at the end of September. It does indeed carry over into October. If the Sox had been able to sweep this series, it would have given them 110 wins and kept NYY from hitting 100. That would have been a real stamp of authority going into the post season. They blew that chance, though. Yanks will hit 100 wins today.

Bear

another poor game by the Sox.
Did we peak at the wrong time?

elktonnick

Quote from: ipot on September 29, 2018, 01:27:09 PM
E-Rod pitching like crap.  Another item to be concerned about in the postseason.

E-Rod and Pomerantz don't have the temperament to pitch in the post season. 

Sea Dog 23

Last two series with the NYY shows a lot of timidity among our players and mgt.  For a team we'll likely play again next weekend, not good mojo.  It's like we're handling pitchers like we did in spring training.

Schloicka

Sox are 2/15 today with runners in scoring position. Hard to win that way. Can get on but can't get in.

Bear

I had my hopes up this year but it doesn't seem possible we can
improve in about 6-7 days.
Winning is wonderful, and there were many days we did that.
What a great year...what a fun team to watch.

GO RED SOX

Schloicka

Sox ended the game 3/17 with runners in scoring position. 11 left on base.

SeaBeachFred

Get ready for a very quick exit from the ALDS next week, that is, after the Yankees sweep the series tomorrow on our home grounds and completely humiliate us.  Cora bears a lot of responsibility for this and his inexperience has been really showing the past ten or so days.  He has a lot of Farrell in him in that he has a lot of trouble making up his mind who to use and who not to.  When the rosters were expanded in September Cora was bewitched by all he additions he had to tinker with, and that's what he's been doing since...TINKERING---and he still doesn't know who he wants to keep and who he wants to eliminate----and there is a lot trash that needs to be loaded up for the scrap heap, especially on the mound.  You can't call the season a failure since we have won over 100 games but we can sure call it a disappointing season because right now it is shaping up to be just that.

Tomorrow Cora, you butt, you pitch Sale, Porcello and Price three innings each and then you can finish up the season with at least a win.  Play your best players and get Devers out of that lineup once and for all.  He isn't hitting enough to make up for his horse shit defense and plethora of strikeouts---and don't let Cuevas, Velasquez, Pomeranz, Scott and Jerkman anywhere near the mound.

ipot

Sad how this team starts to look average when they're not playing the O's or the Jays.....

I agree with Fred: this is an early ALDS exit.  Although I'm gonna blame it on LOUSY pitching more than Cora.  Cora's not on the mound so he can't get these guys to get their acts together.   Houston will repeat as champs.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: ipot on September 29, 2018, 06:35:07 PM
Sad how this team starts to look average when they're not playing the O's or the Jays.....

I agree with Fred: this is an early ALDS exit.  Although I'm gonna blame it on LOUSY pitching more than Cora.  Cora's not on the mound so he can't get these guys to get their acts together.   Houston will repeat as champs.

Can we at least defeat the Yankees tomorrow and win the season series or is Cora once again going to show that he can't make up his mind with who he should play?????????  And Dombrowski now knows he cannot sit on his ass this winter and let the same sad and sorry batteries wreck our team again.  We need a catcher who can HIT and that eliminates Vazquez and Leon, and we need two or three dependable relievers.  And Pomeranz, Scott, Jerkman, Velasquez and Cuevas must be somewhere else next season.

BoSoxFanNY

I HATE LOSING TO THE YANKEES.
I don't care if these games are meaningless -
I don't care that Cora is resting his players.

I DO CARE about WINNING.

Bill-806

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on September 29, 2018, 11:30:14 PM
I HATE LOSING TO THE YANKEES.
I don't care if these games are meaningless -
I don't care that Cora is resting his players.

I DO CARE about WINNING.
B I N G O  dat  !!!  ………  Two things here,  1/ Sox can not have DEVERS at 3rd base in the POST SEASON...  2/ COASTING at the end brings bad results for the playoffs, just ask  J F  !!! iono iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

longgame

One more chance to leave things on an up note.  The problem I've had the last two days isn't losing, it's that they look terrible.  Maybe they'll snap to it when the pressure is on, but they'll need to do it quickly as you can't fall behind at home in a 5 game series, it can end all too quickly.

Then of course you have to consider the 0-12 record in games started by our "big" 3 in the playoffs.  That should worry everyone.